Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

€220 for comp. 2 litre engine and rwd. Value €10k.
    In Ireland?
    Edit:limited mileage classic car insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

• Original quote 722 with chill
    • Down to 509 with Allianz
    • Two issues where the ten-year thing and then some companies have two names, Campionins-Best Quote and Quote Me-Compare Insurance Ireland
    • AIG where the worse with 1149 and then on about their app

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭AutoMan79

Age -37
    Vw Golf HL 1.6TDI 2015
    No penalty
    NCB 7 years
    Last year with Chill 850 and renewal for 800 this year full comp.
    Best quote FBD 736 with all protection on.

** My question is that I sent my NCB proof and they return me a form where it says I have 5 years of NCB. I called them and they said that it doesn't matter as after 5 years of NCB it makes no difference. Anybody had this situation ??

AutoMan79 wrote: »
    Age -37
    Vw Golf HL 1.6TDI 2015
    No penalty
    NCB 7 years
    Last year with Chill 850 and renewal for 800 this year full comp.
    Best quote FBD 736 with all protection on.

** My question is that I sent my NCB proof and they return me a form where it says I have 5 years of NCB. I called them and they said that it doesn't matter as after 5 years of NCB it makes no difference. Anybody had this situation ??

From FBD's perspective, they don't provide you with any further discounts after 5 years of having a NCB.
    Insurance online application forms ask you to state how long you've had your NCB for, but many just have the option 5 years or more or similar i.e. they don't allow you to input 12 years as it doesn't have any bearing on the premium they will quote you.

From my own experience this year, i've noticed that having more than one account with the provider- i.e. home insurance etc does bring down your policy premium so it's potentially worth bundling some of your insurance with one provider to save money (assuming their insurance policy is good in the first place).

in terms of general advice for anyone about to renew with existing company:

All I can recommend is do your homework, get your online quotes ready along with the benefits of the polices you'll be quoting your own insurance firm with, before lifting the phone to them.

I saved 100 euro on my initial quote from existing provider by simply having cheaper quotes completed online in advance and was able to quote the their benefits which were very similar. While i could have still got 30 euro cheaper elsewhere, I'm happy where I am right now so better the devil you know, but i would have moved had i not got this discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

NCB: 2 years + 4 years named driver experience

License: Full Irish, 5 years, no points

Car: 2004 Kia

Cover: Third Party

Insurer: Liberty

Price for last year: €770

Renewal €900.67

Shopping around:

FBD - €1,561.92
    Liberty - €740.57
    Allianz - €1,655.19
    AIG - €2,039.22
    123.ie - €1,721.23

Its4women - €1,149.89

Chill - €1,521

I will probably go with the Liberty price of €740 I got online, it's still way too expensive considering the most I've ever paid for insurance was €950 the first year when I was 17 and paid €550 2 years ago.
    In all my 6 years I've only ever been with Liberty or Quinn - they just seem to always be the best priced and they give me driving of other cars as standard. Whereas most other insurers insist you be 25...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

24 M
    2008 Golf 1.9 TDI
    Full Irish license for 6 years
    No points
    2 Years no claims
    Best quote was renewing with AXA for 970
    Up from 780 last year

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

FrStone wrote: »

Renewal €900.67

Shopping around:

FBD - €1,561.92
    Liberty - €740.57
    Allianz - €1,655.19
    AIG - €2,039.22
    123.ie - €1,721.23

Its4women - €1,149.89

Chill - €1,521

I will probably go with the Liberty price of €740 I got online, it's still way too expensive considering the most I've ever paid for insurance was €950 the first year when I was 17 and paid €550 2 years ago.
    In all my 6 years I've only ever been with Liberty or Quinn - they just seem to always be the best priced and they give me driving of other cars as standard. Whereas most other insurers insist you be 25...

Wow you got off lightly the first few years of getting insurance I paid 4500 when I was 18, 14 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

FrStone wrote: »

Renewal €900.67

Shopping around:

FBD - €1,561.92
    Liberty - €740.57
    Allianz - €1,655.19
    AIG - €2,039.22
    123.ie - €1,721.23

Its4women - €1,149.89

Chill - €1,521

You had it easy, I was honest with the insurance company and was the only one insured on my car when I started driving at 28 and it was 1550 you got it so cheap because I'm guessing your parent took out the insurance on a car for you as a named driver. One the many reasons we are all paying higher premiums now.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Wow you got off lightly the first few years of getting insurance I paid 4500 when I was 18, 14 years ago.

God that's a ridiculous price. My insurance has generally been along the highest price amongst my friends who all started driving at the same time. Then again, that's partly because one persons insurer decided to treat her named driving experience as being an ncb in her own name and sent out a letter to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

27 years old.
    2001 BMW 325ci
    5000km per annum (if even)
    5 years NCB
    3 penalty points
    Full license 9 years
    Living in South County Dublin.

Insurance Co Cover Windscreen Price reason
    Axa TPFT Y 935.17
    AnPost TPFT Y 791.5
    AIG TPFT Y 782.34
    First Ireland TPFT 1150
    Chill TPFT 2350
    FBD NO QUOTE NO QUOTE
    AA TPFT 1138
    Allianz SITE BROKEN
    Aviva NO QUOTE NO QUOTE Car too old
    Britton TPFT 1417
    SuperValu TPFT Y 791
    Zurich NO QUOTE
    Sheridan Insurances TPFT N 1386
    Liberty NO QUOTE
    Ulster Bank NO QUOTE
    Top Quote TPFT 1349

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Car: 02 celica 190bhp

NCD: 8 years

Licence: Full, no points

Cover: 3rd party, fire and theift

Best quote: €750 with Liberty

Very reasonable all things considered. A lot of companies wouldn't even quote.

That's not bad at all. Did you get it online or over the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

27 years old.
    2001 BMW 325ci
    5000km per annum (if even)
    5 years NCB
    3 penalty points
    Full license 9 years
    Living in South County Dublin.

Insurance Co Cover Windscreen Price reason
    AnPost TPFT Y 791.5
    AIG TPFT Y 782.34
    First Ireland TPFT 1150
    Chill TPFT 2350
    FBD NO QUOTE NO QUOTE
    AA TPFT 1138
    Allianz SITE BROKEN
    Aviva NO QUOTE NO QUOTE Car too old
    Britton TPFT 1417
    SuperValu TPFT Y 791
    Zurich NO QUOTE
    Sheridan Insurances TPFT N 1386
    Liberty NO QUOTE
    Ulster Bank NO QUOTE
    Top Quote TPFT 1349

Did Axa not quite

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Did Axa not quite

Updated my list! I had been with them, so they were my renewal at 935. Although I have a feeling that they no longer quote on cars over 10 years old :mad::mad::mad: [must... resist... rant about insurance companies!].

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

42 years old.
    1999 Mercedes SLK 230
    6000km per annum
    5 years+ NCB (1 windscreen claim for €270 4 years ago)
    0 penalty points
    Full license 25 years
    Living in Dublin 15.

Axa €1560 (€720 last year)

It's a second car so gone with first ireland who will insure as a classic for €300 and that covers me up to 6,000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Car: 05 BMW 318Ci

NCB: 2 Years + 1 Year Named Driver

Licence: Full, 1 week

Cover: Fully comp,windscreen

Best quote: €949 from Liberty. Been with them since the start and they've always given me the lowest quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Did Axa not quite

Updated my list! I had been with them, so they were my renewal at 935. Although I have a feeling that they no longer quote on cars over 10 years old :mad::mad::mad: [must... resist... rant about insurance companies!].

Send Pm to me. (Other mod knows me-limerick man was his ID) Axa def cover 10+ year Carsten daily drivers and some as they cover classic cars policies , T&C apply

Car: 07 BMW 335i

NCB: 6 years full, 0 pp, 0 claims

Licence: Full, 5 years

Aug 2015: AIG €784 Fully comp

Aug 2016: Renewal quote AIG €1058

Best quote: 123.ie Fully comp €920, TPFT €558 :eek:

Was a no brainier, went for TPFT for €558 so I'm actually saving a fair bit this year. If i cause damage to my car and it's my fault i can only blame myself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

cisk wrote: »

Car: 07 BMW 335i

NCB: 6 years full, 0 pp, 0 claims

Licence: Full, 5 years

Aug 2015: AIG €784 Fully comp

Aug 2016: Renewal quote AIG €1058

Best quote: 123.ie Fully comp €920, TPFT €558 :eek:

Was a no brainier, went for TPFT for €558 so I'm actually saving a fair bit this year. If i cause damage to my car and it's my fault i can only blame myself anyway.

I have to say I wouldn't chance TPFT on a car like that.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    I have to say I wouldn't chance TPFT on a car like that.

I know what you're saying but I'm pretty confident in my driving, never put as much as a scratch on her in two years or had a tip in my 6 years of driving.

Like others i feel pretty sick at the Insurance companies gouging good drivers so the less i pay them the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I know what you're saying but I'm pretty confident in my driving, never put as much as a scratch on her in two years or had a tip in my 6 years of driving.

Like others i feel pretty sick at the Insurance companies gouging good drivers so the less i pay them the better.

Like you I'd be very confident in my driving but so many things can happen. High speed blowouts, storm damage could all get very messy.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

h3000 wrote: »
    Like you I'd be very confident in my driving but so many things can happen. High speed blowouts, storm damage could all get very messy.

I'd be more concerned with some scrote deciding to go to town on it with a nail or having someone hit and run while its parked up.

I didn't think 123.ie quote was that bad considering your age and and size of the car. Will opting for TPFT affect no-claims bonus in the future? i.e. if you switch back to fully comp in years to come will you be penalised at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

I'd be more concerned with some scrote deciding to go to town on it with a nail or having someone hit and run while its parked up.

what happens your insurance if you use it to put either of them right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

what happens your insurance if you use it to put either of them right?

Nothing if you have full NCB protection.

There is an ongoing fallacy that if you make any claim then no other insurer will recognise your bonus.

This is absolute hogwash.

Some insurers will not quote for new business if you have had a quote over a certain amount but if you have full NCB protection and make a claim you still have your bonus.

For all insurers.

I didn't think 123.ie quote was that bad considering your age and and size of the car. Will opting for TPFT affect no-claims bonus in the future? i.e. if you switch back to fully comp in years to come will you be penalised at all?

No claims is no claims, doesn't matter what coverage you build it up with, once it's in your own name.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Car: 2009 Fiesta 1.25
    NCB: 2 years
    Licence: Full Irish, 2 years
    Aug 2015: €975
    Aug 2016: Renewal €1016 - not bad

Best quote: €1016 which was my renewal with the AA. Called up everywhere and no one will go below €1.1k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Craftylee wrote: »
    Car: 2009 Fiesta 1.25
    NCB: 2 years
    Licence: Full Irish, 2 years
    Aug 2015: €975
    Aug 2016: Renewal €1016 - not bad

Best quote: €1016 which was my renewal with the AA. Called up everywhere and no one will go below €1.1k
    With the AA also and just wondering how long before renewal did they send you your quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

NCB: 6+ yr

License: Full Irish, 10+ yrs

Car: 2008 Seat Leon 1.9

Cover: Comp

Insurer: 25plus.ie

Price for last year: €460

Renewal €580

Tried a few other places and they were all around the €700 mark.
    I updated some details on the policy and it went down to €490 - the only significant thing I can think of that made it drop is I changed the relationship status of the named driver from "partner" to "spouse". I don't think I can beat that price, and I'm ok with a €30 hike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sarcodius

Car: 04 Fiat Panda 1.1

NCD: None (New Driver)

Licence: Full Irish

Cover: Third, Party Fire & Theft

Best quote: €2500 - CoverInAClick

Next to that the cheapest was 3000 with First Ireland I think. Some quotes I got were almost hitting 5000! Guess that's just a deterrent or something so they don't have to deal with new drivers. Just hope it'll be cheaper next year!

• Advertisement

Sarcodius wrote: »

Car: 04 Fiat Panda 1.1

NCD: None (New Driver)

Licence: Full Irish

Cover: Third, Party Fire & Theft

Best quote: €2500 - CoverInAClick

Next to that the cheapest was 3000 with First Ireland I think. Some quotes I got were almost hitting 5000! Guess that's just a deterrent or something so they don't have to deal with new drivers. Just hope it'll be cheaper next year!

Call some brokers, and even consider calling all of the insurers listed here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057619504

Not doing so could cost you hundreds.

Advertisement