Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Parchment wrote:
    - We were in an accident last year, other company paid out, not our fault - the accepted liability. Do we need to mention this when ringing for quotes? Will it affect quotes?

They ask 2 things have you full no claims discount and the next question is have you had any accidents in last 3 to 5 years ?

Parchment wrote:
    -The car is under my boyfriends name but its our car - he then has to be the insured person with me as a named driver. Should i chase up driving experience i had on my own car from my previous insurer? i havent had my own car for about 6 years as i was living abroad.

The car is in bf s name ? And you are the policy holder ? Be careful some insurance companies don't allow that .
    If your former policy has lapsed by 2 years when you were away then it's not taken into consideration....
    Parchment wrote:
    -I sometimes drive for work, maybe once a month limerick to galway and thats it. I get paid mileage but dont carry goods/delivery anything, its just for a meeting. I have to get my employer indemnified. I wonder should i mention this when getting the quote or leave it until i need to drive for work and call the company about it and see if they can change it. My logic being it was 50e to add it to our last policy but i wonder if i say it when looking for the quote it will make it shoot up?!

I would ask how much it would cost to add it to your policy without giving away any info . I would leave it myself unless you are doing a sales job and driving half the country then maybe .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

dev100 wrote: »
    They ask 2 things have you full no claims discount and the next question is have you had any accidents in last 3 to 5 years ?

The car is in bf s name ? And you are the policy holder ? Be careful some insurance companies don't allow that .
    If your former policy has lapsed by 2 years when you were away then it's not taken into consideration....

I would ask how much it would cost to add it to your policy without giving away any info . I would leave it myself unless you are doing a sales job and driving half the country then maybe .

Many thanks for the reply!

No the car is in his name and the policy is also in his name - im a named driver on the policy. I didnt make that clear.

I was thinking about leaving the work usage off the policy, i rarely drive and work has never asked to be indemnified since i did it initially 3 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

29yo. Looking first time insurance. Never named. €5,632 from Axa. Most other engines wont even give me a result. Good times.

Put in a dinky 1L in it to see if it changed things. Nope. Still 5k+

Weird thing is I was putting cars through it last week and got back ~€2k quotes. What's changed. It's like the engine just doesn't like me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Smyth wrote: »
    29yo. Looking first time insurance. Never named. €5,632 from Axa. Most other engines wont even give me a result. Good times.

Weird thing is I was putting cars through it last week and got back ~€2k quotes. What's changed. It's like the engine just doesn't like me anymore.

Ring them. And try boxymo.

Ring them. And try boxymo.

I rang chill and they gave me a quote from Axa at 3100. Same car. Same everything. Fairly sure the Axa engine has some sort of rigging going on. I was getting consistent quotes of 2300 ish coming back from their system last week. Then I rang them Friday trying to get a quote on a car I didn't have the reg on (had the model). Since then it's been 5k+ for the same cars. Weird.

Get rejected by boxymos engine. Redirects me to its sister site which is closer to 3k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Are you on a Leaner Permit? Are you putting any named drivers on the quotes? Do you live in an area that insurers might consider risky?

fxotoole wrote: »
    Are you on a Leaner Permit? Are you putting any named drivers on the quotes? Do you live in an area that insurers might consider risky?

Full licence. No named drivers. My girlfriend has an EU licence which makes feck all difference. Low risk area. D6. Crazy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Full licence. No named drivers. My girlfriend has an EU licence which makes feck all difference. Low risk area. D6. Crazy times.

Hang on. Try again with her having an Irish License.

Come back to us. ( remember - non irish license, even EU, cannot have penalty point free discounts as only Irish licenses can have this.)

Got 2100 with AA. Best I could get. Need it for Apr 1st so had to plow ahead with someone

I'd say it's your gf's EU licence that is driving up the cost of your quotes

• Advertisement

Got 2100 with AA. Best I could get. Need it for Apr 1st so had to plow ahead with someone

So by taking her off, what difference did it make?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

my father went to add my ex onto his insurance as a named driver.. it was €40 extra for the year.. then they found out her license was danish.. it went to €180 euro to ad her on. (she was 38, license for 19 years, no claims etc). so in that case that's how much the license changed the quote.

cravings wrote: »
    my father went to add my ex onto his insurance as a named driver.. it was €40 extra for the year.. then they found out her license was danish.. it went to €180 euro to ad her on. (she was 38, license for 19 years, no claims etc). so in that case that's how much the license changed the quote.

Yeah its a loophole. Companies can offer penalty free discounts if the named driver has penalty free driving. however, naturally, a non Irish UK license can not have this, and they cannot accept any sort of proof. It's up to them

So a german license will cost more than an Irish one, even though it is against EU law ( don't know which one but was quoted on an older thread )

• Registered Users Posts: 33 zenga.m

10 years no claim bonus with liberty insurance.
    they want me to pay them 2.2k for renewal. i think it's a bit too much.
    i'm 32yo. full irish license.
    insignia 1.6d 2016

any suggestions for me? which insurance company should i try?

zenga.m wrote: »
    insignia 1.6d 2016

Full irish license, penalty points? Named driver?

no penalty points.
    myself and my wife on insurance, but she doesn't drive much.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Something doesnt add up there.....

What did you pay last year?

I've changed the car in september. it was e700 i think, but it was focus 2007. now it is insignia 2016

I've changed the car in september. it was e700 i think, but it was focus 2007. now it is insignia 2016

Yeah something is not right there. Did a quote myself and got 700 euro..... I'm 26 and said I was living in cork city and the partner was an older female with clean record

So obviously not like for like, but something is throwing that quote crazy.

yeah. and this is with so called 65% no claim bonus discount. original price is e3,661. crazy ****e.

so any options for me? which company would be better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolliedog

insignia 1.6d 2016

25plus.IE or Allianze

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

yeah. and this is with so called 65% no claim bonus discount. original price is e3,661. crazy ****e.

so any options for me? which company would be better?

All of them i reckon.

I once ****ed up 1 minor detail in my online quote which added about 60% on the price i got quoted later when they chased me by phone (cant remember which insurer, just the "event")

3x the price of last year because you switched from an 07 Focus to an 16 Insignia..... ? nah, unless it is made from 18k gold and parked on the open road in the better parts of Finglas.

fbd insurance. e841. done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Last year €821
    This year €674

2 years no claims with boxymo
    Car is 11 years old

no penalty points.
    myself and my wife on insurance, but she doesn't drive much.

Out of curiosity... is your wife on an EU licence or learner permit?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Gets on my wick that insurance companies can make a glaring mistake and the system is so fecked up it almost seems normal.

When I changed my car a few years ago from a 3 year old 1.6 Peugeot 308, to a 1 year old Nissan Leaf, they initially told me that my premium would change from €570 to €1300!

Only after arguing all the way through customer service did they realise that their computer system had assigned an incorrect insurance class to the Leaf.

Once corrected my premium dropped from €570 to €500!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Driving a 2007 Opel Zafira 1598CC . With Liberty Insurance for last few years, last year was 380 fully comp, year before 300 fully comp, this year quoted 630.
    Went to caoga.ie and was quoted 323.

So I went and paid for this new policy. Not 20 minutes later, Liberty rang me to know was I taking their renewal quote. Told them to get stuffed politely.
    They didn't bat an eyelid.Thought they might ask me what I paid elsewhere but nope... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Last year over 620 fully comp which included AA membership
    05 Volvo D5
    Over 10 years license
    Over 10 years NCB(though they won't give me a letter with more than 9)
    No Points

FBD/25plus/BoI/Itsforwomen/AnPost/(Boxymo wouldn't quote online)
    All are close to the 1000 or well over it when NCB protection is added.
    AA renewal was 780 and got that to 670 TPFT

So, 2 years ago, 400 fully comp which included AA membership, to this.....Rip off shower of w@nK@rs:mad:

Any other suggestions for companies to try?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have been with BOI a year now
    Last year they quoted me €650 (first time I have paid more than 400 in insurance) and this year they want €850

They won't even quote me at all as new customer so might have gotten on the 15yo bandwagon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

bidiots wrote: »
    Last year over 620 fully comp which included AA membership
    05 Volvo D5
    Over 10 years license
    Over 10 years NCB(though they won't give me a letter with more than 9)
    No Points

FBD/25plus/BoI/Itsforwomen/AnPost/(Boxymo wouldn't quote online)
    All are close to the 1000 or well over it when NCB protection is added.
    AA renewal was 780 and got that to 670 TPFT

So, 2 years ago, 400 fully comp which included AA membership, to this.....Rip off shower of w@nK@rs:mad:

Any other suggestions for companies to try?

I'm with Aviva through a Broker in Cork, full comp, over 10 years licence, 04 Fiesta, 4 years NCB €438 which surprised me, was expecting a big increase.

Advertisement