Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

jimgoose wrote: »
    Cheapest I had was 2011, RSA, €373, 3l Jag, for full comp, windscreen/breakdown/legal-and-personal, as well as full-comp on other cars, uinlimited. They were the days. :D
    The way things are going that will look like chicken feed.

We'll never see those prices again, or in my case I never did never will :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

My 02 Yaris passed the NCT this morning.

Dreading seeing the renewal when it comes through. Should be getting it in the next week.

Paying 2200 at the moment. 21 year old male. Will have 1 year NCB this year so I'd say it'll prob remain the same as last year.

With Asgard through a broker

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, got renewal.

Alfa GT 04' 1.9 Diesel

Last year 1000eu

Renewal 1084eu

I am actually a bit happy. I expected them to crank up the price stupidly. Might call them and see if they will drop it a bit more.

Only tried Bank of Ireland quote just now and its 1264eu.

Will ring/and fill in 100 online forms later. I just woke up and found renewal letter, so CBA.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

KC161 wrote: »
    Renewal premium just came in the door,€848.

2nd cheapest to date, they dropped over €300 last year to keep me.

Might try the same this year.

If I renew it will be for a 10th consecutive year.

N.B

I have just come off the phone from them, they aren't willing to reduce it any further as on the back of the renewal they pointed out that the original quote for renewal was €1075.

They gave me a loyalty discount of almost €300.

So now I am left to decide,

AXA for €848
    FBD for €763
    PM me KC161...As I said above ..
    last years premium plus 20% is one rate

Now if they embedded a credit and as result the renewal is ccheaper than above calculation then renewal rate in print stands

There are some 10yr perks so I can check u are getting same. Mods on here know I'll assist in cases if needed

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Renewal is up soon. Model risk with no pp's.

Quoted €545 for a 161 Fiesta ST. Changed it last week and the revised renewal is now €615 for a 171 Focus 1.5TDCI!

I reckon I can get it down under €500. Watch this space.....

Think I'll renew at new reduced premium (current insurer) @ €520. Quoted €495 elsewhere but it's too much trouble to move for €25

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭iguot

Think I'll renew at new reduced premium (current insurer) @ €520. Quoted €495 elsewhere but it's too much trouble to move for €25

Jaysus, I'd move for 25, 10...No.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

iguot wrote: »
    Jaysus, I'd move for 25, 10...No.

Me too. Once the quote is done it takes 5 minutes of work to move.

€25 after tax for 5 minutes work. Not a bad rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭andreoilin

Your Age: 25
    Car type and engine: Seat Ibiza 1.2
    years driving: 4 (2 on a full license)
    any claims: nil, 4 years no claims
    Price and provider: 900ish with itsforwomen

Due a renewal next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Age 33
    Toyota Landcruiser,
    15 years driving
    Full no claims

Last year €640
    This year €748

Liberty commercial

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sammy_Jankis

Your Age: 31
    Car type and engine:03 bmw 325ci
    years driving: 9 years
    Price and provider: 650 with 123.ie was 500 last year.

Was the cheapest I could get. Many would not even insure me or else was quoted 1K plus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Your Age: 31
    Car type and engine:03 bmw 325ci
    years driving: 9 years
    Price and provider: 650 with 123.ie was 500 last year.

Was the cheapest I could get. Many would not even insure me or else was quoted 1K plus.

123 giving me the same quote with a 09 Vectra cdti 150 with the wife as named. 9 years driving with max bonus, she has 7 years bonus on her own policy.

Most place's are around 850, bank of Ireland were 1400 third party, the most expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Wife just got renewal letter as below

Your Age: 44
    Car type and engine: 2012 Prius
    years driving: 20
    any claims: about 15 years ago 1 claim.
    Price and provider: 554 Allianz through AA. Step back bonus protection.

Going to search around as that seems a bit expensive.

BTW. Wife drives my car also a few days a week. Audi A3 2007. I see on her renewal letter it states:
    Comprehensive driving of other cars, the cover will only apply if the private car being driven does not belong to your partner unless a current certificate of motor insurance has been issued and remains in force in such car.

Could anyone explain that in plain English?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Wife just got renewal letter as below

Your Age: 44
    Car type and engine: 2012 Prius
    years driving: 20
    any claims: about 15 years ago 1 claim.
    Price and provider: 554 Allianz through AA. Step back bonus protection.

Going to search around as that seems a bit expensive.

BTW. Wife drives my car also a few days a week. Audi A3 2007. I see on her renewal letter it states:
    Comprehensive driving of other cars, the cover will only apply if the private car being driven does not belong to your partner unless a current certificate of motor insurance has been issued and remains in force in such car.

Could anyone explain that in plain English?
    Some policies don't cover you to drive your spouses car. You need to put her as a named driver on your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Car type and engine: 2004 focus 1.4
    years driving: 6
    any claims: no
    Price and provider: AXA 700 renewal was 600 last year. Up 100 not too bad. Feel very good about that.

carzony wrote: »
    Car type and engine: 2004 focus 1.4
    years driving: 6
    any claims: no
    Price and provider: AXA 700 renewal was 600 last year. Up 100 not too bad. Feel very good about that.

You got a better deal than me there.

Same car, 5 years newer plus i'm 7 years older than you with 8 year ncb.

Must be where i live.

Insurance really does boggle me :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 robissimo

Your Age: 39
    Car type and engine: 2009 E200 Mercedes 1.8
    years driving: 16
    any claims: 0
    no penalty points

Last year: €650 (3rd party f&t)
    Renewal this year €1100 (3rd party f&t)
    Britton insurance

I'm outraged, no claims, no penalty points, didn't change address. I feel like they're actually stealing from me

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Silent Shrill

I received my quote this morning from liberty. I'm already insured with them, so this is a renewal quote.
    Car. Corsa 02 1ltr.
    My age 57
    Full no claims bonus
    Driving 40 yrs
    No penalty points, full Irish license.
    Cost of insurance for the last year 400
    New cost 880
    ****ing rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

KC161 wrote: »
    You got a better deal than me there.

Same car, 5 years newer plus i'm 7 years older than you with 8 year ncb.

Must be where i live.

Insurance really does boggle me :confused:

Not sure how axa gave me such great quote for my renewal. I called most of the other insurance companys today and the closest to axa was 1300 by First ireland brokers.. I think i'll be sticking with axa this year again.

Last year they were able to under cut all the others by a huge margin for me aswell. It's a very limited policy with no drive other cars, no step back protection and only TPFT but feck it on a 2004 focus I don't really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Silent Shrill

A point I'd like to make. Where is this insurance for 280.00 that I see advertised? It's a complete fabrication. What percentage of drivers are getting this quote? So much for being in the EU, insurance in Ireland is a closed shop to make us pay ott prices. I will not be getting any car insurance, and intend to do without a car, and use my motorbike. The state can now pay for the caredoc to call out to us when our family needs them. There is no public transport in rural Ireland, and therefore no way to get into the nearest large town, therefore a car is not a luxury as it is in Dublin. The infrastructure in Ireland is crap.....Like it's politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Parapara2017

Your Age: 21
    Car type and engine: Aygo 1.0
    years driving: 1
    Price and provider 2400 Axa

If i go on my parents policy as a named driver for their car their policy goes up to about the same price.... Even quote 3.5k.... I'd barely even drive it 😑

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

ShaneU wrote: »
    Lowest quote has gone from 500 to 800 in two years despite 7 years no claims, should be going down not up, daylight robbery from these firms the government needs to step in.

Entered my details online again as a new account with this company 2 weeks after the €800 quote and got a quote for €640!

Got a call from them the next day asking would you like to renew at €800! Told them I got got a quote online that was cheaper and he said he'd "check our online prices today" and low and behold €160 was magically dropped off my quote from 2 weeks earlier.

Apparently my driving skills improved by 20% in that time period.

carzony wrote: »
    Not sure how axa gave me such great quote for my renewal. I called most of the other insurance companys today and the closest to axa was 1300 by First ireland brokers.. I think i'll be sticking with axa this year again.

Last year they were able to under cut all the others by a huge margin for me aswell. It's a very limited policy with no drive other cars, no step back protection and only TPFT but feck it on a 2004 focus I don't really care.

Now that does put things in a different perspective.

I have every extra imaginable from AXA.

Plus I can drive other cars comprehensive.

With them since 2008 and renewed with them this year again.

I got one quote that was cheaper than them but only by €50.

The cover wasn't quite as good.

AXA are known to undercut to keep customers (within reason)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

A point I'd like to make. Where is this insurance for 280.00 that I see advertised? It's a complete fabrication. What percentage of drivers are getting this quote? So much for being in the EU, insurance in Ireland is a closed shop to make us pay ott prices. I will not be getting any car insurance, and intend to do without a car, and use my motorbike. The state can now pay for the caredoc to call out to us when our family needs them. There is no public transport in rural Ireland, and therefore no way to get into the nearest large town, therefore a car is not a luxury as it is in Dublin. The infrastructure in Ireland is crap.....Like it's politicians.

€280 is way way under priced and premiums at that level are why are in the current situation of steep increases.

Insurance is not a closed shop.

Any insurer with a head office in an EU member state can transact insurance in Ireland.

So, why do you think that insurance companies are not keen to open up their book of business to the Irish market?

They are legally entitled to do so if they wish so if there are profits to be made in motor insurance in Ireland, surely companies would be tripping over themselves to get a slice of the pie?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Oh, i can guess why a Dutch ensurer isnt going to trade here and it isnt because they cant make a profit
    Many pages ago i showed a screenshot of what insurance would cost me there with similar details as i have here. Would have cost me just over €20 a month

But then again, they dont hand out €40.000 to some chancer who got hurt all by his or her account there either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

inforfun wrote: »
    Oh, i can guess why a Dutch ensurer isnt going to trade here and it isnt because they cant make a profit
    Many pages ago i showed a screenshot of what insurance would cost me there with similar details as i have here. Would have cost me just over €20 a month

But then again, they dont hand out €40.000 to some chancer who got hurt all by his or her account there either.

So basically Holland does not pay out stupid amounts for compensation and therefore can charge customers lower premiums.

Its as I have always said. Insurance premiums are primarily driven by the claims environment.

Lower claims = lower premiums

Higher claims = higher premiums.

It ain't rocket science!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

That is about it.
    They will not just pay out frivolous claims and people who might be looking to put in claims without much of a chance know this and will probably not bother.

If you pay out because it is less hassle or cheaper in certain cases, people will keep trying.
    It is a vicious circle they started by just paying out (more or less) and recoup their losses by charging others more. Thing is that honest people ultimately pay for it and might just take their chances at 1 point as well.
    Judges of course, have a role in this as well. Not enough people are sentenced to "use your ****ing common sense"
    The most ridiculous cases get their own threads here on boards but i am sure it is just the tip of the iceberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Your Age: 60
    Car type and engine: 2005 BMW E63 645ci 4.4L petrol
    years driving: infinite
    Price and provider:
    renewal quote from BOI 1100 euro
    123.ie: Won't quote

Is there an up to date list of insurers who would consider quoting? Before spending another 15 minutes getting a quote from someone else only to say there's no quote available.

What age exactly do they want someone to be able to drive a big car?

Best "quote" so far is "we can't move on that price at all unfortunately but ring us back before you go with any other offer" from BOI. Pretty much sums up the total ****ery going on with inflated quotes and the companies playing chicken with eachother

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Car: 1999 Jaguar S-Type 3.0l
    NCD: You must be joking...
    Licence: I will, yeah!
    Area: Cork City Southside
    Cover: Full comp/breakdown/glass/comp on other cars
    Renewal: 727 AXA
    Last year: 570 AXA

Reckon I'll get it for 700 - I'll give them a few thumps next week. :D

• Advertisement

jimgoose wrote: »
    Car: 1999 Jaguar S-Type 3.0l
    NCD: You must be joking...
    Licence: I will, yeah!
    Area: Cork City Southside
    Cover: Full comp/breakdown/glass/comp on other cars
    Renewal: 727 AXA
    Last year: 570 AXA

Reckon I'll get it for 700 - I'll give them a few thumps next week. :D

Jasus i must keep an eye out for you when i'm home, time for boardsie bumper stickers to identify one another :pac:

Advertisement