Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Ninjavampire

I'd love to see someone do a regression on the data in this thread over the last year or so. It seems like they decide premiums based on a lucky dip system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

If there was a graph to be presented it would look like that :) :

421194.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Nocrac

Female, 30s, spouse (30s) would be named driver, both with no claims, no penalty points, 12 years full licence for me, 17 years for him; standard hatch back (2015) worth approx. €20k:

Its 4 Women 525.39
    Allianz 572.08 (renewal quote - last year was approx. 150e less)
    Chill - Invernia 736
    123.ie 912.89
    AA 820.88
    Axa 855.36
    Britton 803.42
    Aviva 590.67
    FBD 689.36
    Liberty 904.09
    Glennon 828.6
    25plus 535.25
    BOI 875.07
    Awaiting call back from Quote Devil

Planning to call 25plus; Aviva and Allianz to see if they can better the Its for Women quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

368100 wrote: »

I had to double check what source I was reading. After reading the first few lines I thought I was reading Waterford Whispers News.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Car: 2003 Audi A3 1.6
    Years driving: 11
    License: Full Irish
    Penalty Points: 0
    claims: 0 Lifetime
    Cover: Comprehensive - AIG €782

Broker over the last few years:
    2017: 782 (29.9% increase - AIG)
    2016: 602 (40% increase - AIG)
    2015: 430 (New to AIG - 24% decrease)
    2014: 570 (first policy on this car - Allianz)

Having read through this thread, I'm not too disappointed all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭dasa29

Gender. Male
    Age. 41
    Licence. 8 years, full
    NCB. 8 years+
    Car. 2001 Yaris 1.0
    Claims: 0
    Points. 0

AXA-
    €644.01 renewal fully comp (including Protected NCD)
    €568.21 Last year
    €500 - 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭mattser

I had to double check what source I was reading. After reading the first few lines I thought I was reading Waterford Whispers News.

You might as well have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I had an interesting conversation during the week.

A guy wrote in about his policy and the hike in premiums.

He has been with our company since 02 so it gave a brilliant insight into the prices of the last 15 years.

He is over 50, full licence and no claims.

Driving a mid range saloon car.

When he joined our company in 02 he had full licence and full NCD.

He paid €1220 for comp.

The following year around €1100.

Then around €1000.

The premiums kept reducing year on year until they reached €440 towards the end of the 00s.

Since then they have increased year on year and his premium this year is €850.

It was an interesting exercise because for nearly half the time he was with us he paid more than his renewal this year.

He was flabbergasted to hear what he had paid for the first 4 or 5 years and didn't believe me until i sent him the schedules for each year.

The point is that people seem to forget that in the not too distant past many of them were paying substantially more than they are now.

Consumers got spoiled by the ludicrous prices perpetuated by the likes of 123, Quinn and Setanta so in reality, what alot of people are paying nowadays is actually fairly keen when you factor in pricing over the last 20 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Rod Munch wrote: »
    I had an interesting conversation during the week.

A guy wrote in about his policy and the hike in premiums.

He has been with our company since 02 so it gave a brilliant insight into the prices of the last 15 years.

He is over 50, full licence and no claims.

Driving a mid range saloon car.

When he joined our company in 02 he had full licence and full NCD.

He paid €1220 for comp.

The following year around €1100.

Then around €1000.

The premiums kept reducing year on year until they reached €440 towards the end of the 00s.

Since then they have increased year on year and his premium this year is €850.

It was an interesting exercise because for nearly half the time he was with us he paid more than his renewal this year.

He was flabbergasted to hear what he had paid for the first 4 or 5 years and didn't believe me until i sent him the schedules for each year.

The point is that people seem to forget that in the not too distant past many of them were paying substantially more than they are now.

Consumers got spoiled by the ludicrous prices perpetuated by the likes of 123, Quinn and Setanta so in reality, what alot of people are paying nowadays is actually fairly keen when you factor in pricing over the last 20 years.
    My first premium was on a 1.2 Fist Brava in 2005, cost €2100 TPFT.

Fast forward to 20-17 and I now drive a 2013 Ford Galaxy 2.0 diesel, cost €1000 fully Comprehensive.

Cheapest ever was in 2015, €550 fully comprehensive on a 2001 Renault megane 1.4 petrol.

I've a full licence 10 years & 9 years NCD.

My occupation at the beginning of my driving career was security, i never actually changed it even though I'm now a casual commercial driver.

Prior to getting the Galaxy my renewal this year was €800 and increased by €200 when I changed recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Wife just got renewal letter as below

Your Age: 44
    Car type and engine: 2012 Prius
    years driving: 20
    any claims: about 15 years ago 1 claim.
    Price and provider: 554 Allianz through AA. Step back bonus protection.

Going to search around as that seems a bit expensive.

BTW. Wife drives my car also a few days a week. Audi A3 2007. I see on her renewal letter it states:
    Comprehensive driving of other cars, the cover will only apply if the private car being driven does not belong to your partner unless a current certificate of motor insurance has been issued and remains in force in such car.

Could anyone explain that in plain English?
    So rang around a lot of places including some brokers and was getting quotes for 600 to 700.
    Called the AA and with a little bit of effort (not too much mind you) we got it reduced to €484. This includes me as named driver and wife is fully comp on other cars also.
    Payment by instalments brings total to €514.

Result!

Just got my renewal
    its actually down €110 from last years quote

Your Age: 46
    Car type and engine: 2007 Audi A3 1.6 Automatic
    years driving: 27
    any claims: about 9 years ago 1 claim.
    Price and provider: 467 Allianz through AA. Step back bonus protection.

Happy days - dont know if they made a mistake as car is 10 yrs old and price has dropped from last year by €110 so I jumped on it and renewed online

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

What's the legality of over pricing your car, I initially valued it at 1500 and quote was 1500, so I increased its value to 5000 and quote went down to 1000 and then I increased it to 10,000 this resulted in 954.

Gonna be some fun when I need to insure myself in a months time on 16 year old car.

JamboMac wrote: »
    What's the legality of over pricing your car, I initially valued it at 1500 and quote was 1500, so I increased its value to 5000 and quote went down to 1000 and then I increased it to 10,000 this resulted in 954.

Gonna be some fun when I need to insure myself in a months time on 16 year old car.

You can value it at whatever you want, they'll only pay the current market value of it if the insurer replaces it.

KC161 wrote: »
    You can value it at whatever you want, they'll only pay the current market value of it if the insurer replaces it.

Totally understand the payout thing, which would never be claimed anyway, but the value seems to have a large effect on the algorithm.

Totally understand the payout thing, which would never be claimed anyway, but the value seems to have a large effect on the algorithm.

In my own case recently which i highlighted on this thread (i think).

I changed from a 2009 worth €8000 to a 2013 worth €21000, my insurance went up by €200.

A 2014 worth €17000 i was also looking at would have reduced my insurance by €80.

I lack understanding on the figures and where they come from.

In saying that, an administrative charge applied with me, it never did until this year.

Have you that issue?

KC161 wrote: »
    In my own case recently which i highlighted on this thread (i think).

I changed from a 2009 worth €8000 to a 2013 worth €21000, my insurance went up by €200.

A 2014 worth €17000 i was also looking at would have reduced my insurance by €80.

I lack understanding on the figures and where they come from.

In saying that, an administrative charge applied with me, it never did until this year.

Have you that issue?
    No the quote is direct from liberty, no admin charges all I did was change the value of my car everything else identical.

No the quote is direct from liberty, no admin charges all I did was change the value of my car everything else identical.
    Rod Munch is probably the man who can answer why the prices vary due to vehicle values.

Hopefully the recent raids will bring prices down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

renewal in the door

last year

08 vectra 150 hp no alarm , value 3500, cover for 620 euro ,fully comp

43 , max no claims,no points, never a claim

transferred to a civic last week . 07 reg . 1.8 petrol , 140 hp, alarm, no change in policy, value 2500.

renewal in the door , 931 euros lol

1st place i rang ,allianz .. quote for 568 euro, fully comp

rang back original insurer to see would they match, came down 80 quid.

some difference and some jump to begin wit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Just off the phone with Chill Insurance

In my 40's, no claims, 3 points

2001 1.6 Toyota Avensis

Last year €508

This year €1000!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Just off the phone with Chill Insurance

In my 40's, no claims, 3 points

2001 1.6 Toyota Avensis

Last year €508

This year €1000!

Do an online quote you'll do better yourself, chill are terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Your Age:46 male 0 points
    Car type and engine: 152 BMW 114D SE 5 DR
    years driving:26
    any claims:1 claim 4 years ago with NCB step back, so i have in theory 7 years NCB,
    Price and provider:currently AIG (S.V.) and 561 renewal

i thought the above was pretty good, but decided to ring around.

Nothing cheaper for me.

But when i tried allianz.ie online , they said to ring them, and didn't give a reason for not giving me a new online quote.

when i rang them, once i said i had a claim in 2013 (4 years ago) they refuse to even give me a 3000 euro quote or something like that.

So because they have done that ( and its recorded on the phone) must i mention this to other insurance companies while trying to get a quote? (that i have been refused an insurance quote).

If this is the case, my insurance premiums are only going to go one way- up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Car: 2004 VW Passatt 130 Highline
    NCB: 4 years
    Years Driving: 12
    Licence: Full Irish
    Penalty Points: 0
    Cover: 3rd Party Fire and Theft
    Named Driver : 59 years old female with no points/full license

Last year €900 123.ie

123.ie - €1492.00
    Chill - €1197.00
    Blue Insurance - €1238.00
    Harper Dolan - €1250.00
    AXA - €1044.00
    Cover in a click - €1045.00
    25 Plus - €1322.00
    Zurich - €1470.00
    Allianz - €1185.00
    Glennon - €1040.00
    Mc Carthy Insurance - €1033.00
    Creane and Creane - €830 - Comprehensive - All others Fire and Theft
    O'Maley Griffen - €795 Comprehensive (Will settle on this)

Delighted I took the time to shop around even though it took hours. I didn't think I was going to get it below €1k but delighted in the end even though I'll still be paying €800

Left out about 5 insurers who were over €2k

Also decided to go back to 123's website and get an online quote and it came in at just over €1000 after the hoors giving me a renewal quote of €1492 over the phone...Chancers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

40 yr old female
    Full license
    9yrs ncb
    0 points
    09 1.6hdi 7 seater
    Husband named driver,same age,full license,5 points

AIG via 25+ last year €480 fully comp,top of the range cover.
    Volunteer excess €750
    Compulsory excess €300
    Renewal came in €550.

Overall quotes coming in @ apprx €800-€1050 for similar cover bar Aaron insurance brokers in Dublin that matched my renewal.

Rang 25+ back to negotiate and got premium down with €35 voucher plus volunteer excess now is €0

Quite happy with €512 with €300 excess. Top of the range fully comp cover

Do an online quote you'll do better yourself, chill are terrible.

They were the best I could find last year.

Any suggestions where on line I might do better this time around?:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    They were the best I could find last year.

Any suggestions where on line I might do better this time around?:(

AA and bank of Ireland, especially if you have a bank account both these came in 300 cheaper then chill for my dad as he recently had a claim, also AXA.

Thanks Jambo - I'll look into those.

They've since improved by about €250 but still crazy money given no material change since last year.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

check the previous posts to see who others are using..
    I was hoping the investigations by EU into insurance companies here would drive down the prices but no go.

I checked this thread as Im due up in September. I was surprised at the quotes and happy then i realised i was on page 1 :/
    how times have changed...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NeilMcGrane

Just said I'd post this quote for a laugh.

Your Age: 21
    Car type and engine: 2006 MG ZR 1.4
    Years driving: 11 months
    Any claims: No
    Price and provider: ARB Private Motor €7,022.32 Third Party, Fire & Theft

Anyway, back to reality... I've received many quotes between €2,700 - €3,000 from different insurers. I don't need it until next month, so I'll shop around more until then. This will be my first own policy, after one year named driver experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

Just said I'd post this quote for a laugh.

Your Age: 21
    Car type and engine: 2006 MG ZR 1.4
    Years driving: 11 months
    Any claims: No
    Price and provider: ARB Private Motor €7,022.32 Third Party, Fire & Theft

Anyway, back to reality... I've received many quotes between €2,700 - €3,000 from different insurers. I don't need it until next month, so I'll shop around more until then. This will be my first own policy, after one year named driver experience.

Check Liberty and stick the parents on the policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

rizzee wrote: »
    Check Liberty and stick the parents on the policy.

I've played around online with most of the insurance providers, never checked Liberty though and was always getting mad quotes with other providers. Checked a car like Neil with a reg I got from donedeal and it was 1900 coming down to 1400 when both parents were added and I'm 22M with 1 years named same as the Neil with the 1 years named bringing it way down from over 3000.

Maybe Liberty know something the rest don't

Advertisement