Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NeilMcGrane

I just tried Liberty and got a quote of €2,800~ with my correct details. When I changed my occupation from sales assistant to student, it dropped to €2,500~, then to a further €2,300~ when I put in accountant. I don't think my address helps the quote either as my area is quite prone to being on the news :p

Either I need to get a new job soon or move house :D

In my own case recently which i highlighted on this thread (i think).

I changed from a 2009 worth €8000 to a 2013 worth €21000, my insurance went up by €200.

A 2014 worth €17000 i was also looking at would have reduced my insurance by €80.

I lack understanding on the figures and where they come from.

In saying that, an administrative charge applied with me, it never did until this year.

Have you that issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭obi604

obi604 wrote: »
    Bloody annoyed here :(

Car: 2006 BMW 523i Automatic
    NCB: 14 years
    Licence: Full Irish
    Penalty Points: 0
    Cover: Comprehensive with no claims bonus protect
    Value: 3500 Euro
    Other: My wife is named driver. Car parked in a driveway in a good area.

Year before last: 470
    Last year: 720

This years initial quote back from Insurance company : 1075

Scandalous, my insurance has more than doubled in 2 years. same car, less penalty points etc.

going to do my usual now and go check all insurance companies.

Should I target any specific companies?
    Wonder should I just go third party fire and theft or does it even matter these days?

Just an update, got my insurance in the end for 650 Euro with an post insurance.
    fully Comp with protection of no claims bonus, personal belongings and a few more bells and whisteles.
    relatively happy with it.

others quotes got for same car etc were:

its4women: 803
    25plus: 855
    bank of ireland: 1586
    aib: 1067
    no nonsense: 1142
    allianz: 681
    123.ie: 893

How there can be such a variance in prices is just ridiculous!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Video disabled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Either I need to get a new job soon or move house :D

Change it to Pensioner and try again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Video disabled

Click on the YouTube link and when it says video disabled click watch on YouTube.

Click on the YouTube link and when it says video disabled click watch on YouTube.

Never seen that before :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭rizzee

Just an update, got my insurance in the end for 650 Euro with an post insurance.
    fully Comp with protection of no claims bonus, personal belongings and a few more bells and whisteles.

That's ridiculous, I had a 06 523i last year (at the time i would have been 25 with 5 years no claims 6 years full license) and was paying only 60 something euro per month!

Definitely luck of the draw/lottery system going on haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McCrack

Would you rather they all charged the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I have moved to a different city and tried updating address on my policy online, it went up by 400e. I paid 1000e initially. It's a 29 days old policy.

Is it possible to cancel policy given it's less than a month old and get the balance back? Paying 40% extra is too much to handle now, on top of other moving expenses.

What are my legal rights? Anyone been through this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Did you move to Raqqa?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭masterboy123

In midwest
    inforfun wrote: »
    Did you move to Raqqa?

McCrack wrote: »
    Would you rather they all charged the same?

great input :rolleyes:

I would rather if they had some kind of a standard they followed so that there a wasn't 1000 euro difference in price for essentially the same thing from a different company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I would rather if they had some kind of a standard they followed so that there a wasn't 1000 euro difference in price for essentially the same thing from a different company.

Insurers are constantly accused of cartel behaviour.

If all providers were priced the same then that would be cartel behaviour.

I don't know why people get so bent out of shape when quoted stupid premiums.

All it means is that there is something in your profile that they have had bad claims experience with.

It's not personal.

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Insurers are constantly accused of cartel behaviour.

If all providers were priced the same then that would be cartel behaviour.

I don't know why people get so bent out of shape when quoted stupid premiums.

All it means is that there is something in your profile that they have had bad claims experience with.

It's not personal.

and sure jaysus, isnt that exactly what Motor insurance providers in Ireland have been targeted for in last few days!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/motor-insurance-providers-in-ireland-targeted-in-anti-cartel-inquiry-1.3142988

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

and sure jaysus, isnt that exactly what Motor insurance providers in Ireland have been targeted for in last few days!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/motor-insurance-providers-in-ireland-targeted-in-anti-cartel-inquiry-1.3142988

I did read a piece on that before and it was about fleet or commercial policies, also about the brokers.

I have a feeling it has nothing to do with regular Joe's insurance at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭dodzy

Insurance up in a month.

Currently with Allianz and paid €559 last year (fully comp)

Car: 2.0tdi A6 (2005)
    License:Full (30yrs)
    NCB: Full

New quotes:
    FBD - 1017
    123.ie - 783
    AIG - 1648
    First Irl - 720 (Kenko)
    An post - 1040

Ridiculous. Just waiting for Allianz renewal (due next week). Would take a 10-15% increase without wasting any further time on the phone.

• Administrators Posts: 53,756 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Car: 1.6 Focus TDCI (2008)
    License: Full 10+ years
    NCB: 10+ years
    cover: full

Paid ~770 last year, got renewal quote of ~550. Dropped by 28%. Took out home insurance with liberty as well which will account for some of the drop but still a nice surprise to see it go down so much.

Delighted:

Have been with Its4Women for last 5 years:
    last year it went up €100, this year another €100 - that's despite getting a newer version of my previous car, full no claims bonus, no other changes.

I'm up to my eyes with work so haven't a lot of time to shop around......... but got quotes from 123 and Chill which were significantly higher than Its4 Women.

Then I heard of Bank of Ireland who I didn't know did car insurance. Cheapest by far!!

Its 4 Women: €693.99 fully comp and €300 compulsory Excess
    Bank of Ireland: €585.81 fully comp and €250 compulsory Excess

I'm female, 54, Co Meath, Renault Megane 1.6D, no penalty points, full licence, full No Claims Bonus.

Happy enough with that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McCrack

Well that's what happens in markets, some charge more, some charge less..if there was "some kind of standard" common amongst the insurers as you suggest then there would be anti-competition rules breached and you would have an issue with that as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Ok, this time of year again.
    Male as main driver, female as named driver.

Car: 2005 Volvo S40, 1.8L

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points (additional driver 6 yrs, no points)

Cover: Fully comp, protected with breakdown assistance

Best quote: €605 from AIG (existing insurer - €40 decrease on previous year). All quotes done online, waiting on an Allianz quote by phone as we have house insurance with them.

Other quotes:
    An Post €604 *step back bonus protection
    25+ €671 No breakdown assist
    Glennon €657 No bonus protection
    AXA €763
    Crean & Crean €775
    Supervalu €813
    123 €843
    First Ireland €843
    BOI €875
    Liberty €906
    Aviva €961

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jparedes

Car: 2007 Volvo C30, 1.6L
    NCB: 5 Years - I never has an accident but in 2012 someone during the night burned my previous car BMW316 Compaq
    License: Full UE ( Spanish) exchanged into Full Irish - 23 years of driving experience -

Quotes:
    AXA: €1240 ( the one I took ) third party + Fire and glass protection. Before I exchanged my Full UE driving license the quote was €1900 third party.
    Allianz: over €1300 and them they asked me to look elsewhere
    AAA: around €1100 they wasn't able to verify my 5 years NCB because they don't share Data Base with any other Car Insurance around Europe.

I'm not going to mention the rest of Insurance Companies because they just told me NO or asked over €2500...ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭steveshort

My insurance is up next month and I received my renewal notice from chill. There looking 1145, for basic third party cover with no windscreen or break down assist.
    I checked with axa their qoute 770 third party with windscreen and break down cover, or 815 fully comp.
    Im well pleased with that, I was expecting to pay over the 1k mark this year

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

xalot wrote: »
    Ok, this time of year again.
    Male as main driver, female as named driver.

Car: 2005 Volvo S40, 1.8L

NCD: Full

Licence: Full 10+ years, no points (additional driver 6 yrs, no points)

Cover: Fully comp, protected with breakdown assistance

Best quote: €605 from AIG (existing insurer - €40 decrease on previous year). All quotes done online, waiting on an Allianz quote by phone as we have house insurance with them.

Other quotes:
    An Post €604 *step back bonus protection
    25+ €671 No breakdown assist
    Glennon €657 No bonus protection
    AXA €763
    Crean & Crean €775
    Supervalu €813
    123 €843
    First Ireland €843
    BOI €875
    Liberty €906
    Aviva €961

Interesting that I have a 05 Focus 1.6 with similar scenario(NCB, driver age, etc) and AIG bumped me from 600 euro to 986 euro a month ago. Broker switched me to Allianz for 700 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭dodzy

dodzy wrote: »
    Insurance up in a month.

Currently with Allianz and paid €559 last year (fully comp)

Car: 2.0tdi A6 (2005)
    License:Full (30yrs)
    NCB: Full

New quotes:
    FBD - 1017
    123.ie - 783
    AIG - 1648
    First Irl - 720 (Kenko)
    An post - 1040

Ridiculous. Just waiting for Allianz renewal (due next week). Would take a 10-15% increase without wasting any further time on the phone.

Well shock f**king horror, renewal just in. After the conversation last week with them and the projected 'worse case scenario' of 10-15% up, I'm looking down the barrel of a 40% hike from €559 to €781. They can go and .... ...

*Rang them and reduced it to €719.

Not a happy bunny. 3 weeks to nail something better down or just suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭monkeycork

Your Age: 29
    Car type and engine: 2003 Golf 1.4 petrol
    years driving: 10
    any claims: 0
    Price and provider: Allianz fully comp €662 . renewal came in from Axa at €998

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

age 46
    male
    6 yrs plus ncb
    2002 vectra 1.8
    renewal came in for 960 in april but car was offroad so did not re-insure

rang today to check quote with chill (kenco) as that is who i was last insured with.

1260 a 40% increase ffs.

no more driving for me then.

soups05 wrote: »
    age 46
    male
    6 yrs plus ncb
    2002 vectra 1.8
    renewal came in for 960 in april but car was offroad so did not re-insure

rang today to check quote with chill (kenco) as that is who i was last insured with.

1260 a 40% increase ffs.

no more driving for me then.

The age of your car might be a problem, the whole 14 year old car thing.

Did you try the same car but with a different year of registration out of curiosity?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 JtByrne

I'd say its more down to the car being off the road for a few months.
    Gaps in cover usually mean higher premiums.
    Call insurance companies instead of doing online quotes to explain why it as off the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Your Age: 35
    Car type and engine: Toyota Corolla 1.4
    Years driving: 13
    Any claims: no
    Price and provider: 637.32,Allianz

Up from 510 last year.
    Kept quotes etc from last, 123 and BOI the only ones around it, so I think ill be getting quotes off them again and likely end up with Allianz.

Be tired of on phone or site for hours filling in the same information to get a quote or be told to ring them or worse case have chill have no chill and hound you. Theres the upside to laughing when yet again AIG quote double and you get quoted half the price of what the cars worth

Advertisement