Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

jeffk wrote: »
    /.../ you get quoted half the price of what the cars worth

But that's completely irrelevant. Majority of the premium goes towards TPL insurance and the value and age of the car has opposite effect to the premium...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

grogi wrote: »
    But that's completely irrelevant. Majority of the premium goes towards TPL insurance and the value and age of the car has opposite effect to the premium...

I dont get you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I dont get you?

Most of the premium goes towards the damage and injury the car can do to others

Most of the premium goes towards the damage and injury the car can do to others

Still I find it funny how totally random the numbers are,like mine is up,how did they calculate that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Still I find it funny how totally random the numbers are,like mine is up,how did they calculate that

"I'll pull it out of me arse" a banker once said.

They have a similar approach.

• Advertisement

"I'll pull it out of me arse" a banker once said.

They have a similar approach.

They have us over a barrel,an expensive necessary evil

They have us over a barrel,an expensive necessary evil

Sadly many of the "entitled" in society see that necessary evil as optional and plough on letting us pay for them.

Sadly many of the "entitled" in society see that necessary evil as optional and plough on letting us pay for them.

Found out this the hard way when someone hit my car.

You can setup direct debt,cancel,keep disc,looks like you've insurance

Found out this the hard way when someone hit my car.

You can setup direct debt,cancel,keep disc,looks like you've insurance

I wasn't in the same boat in 2009, cost me my ncb.

As for the insurance issue, the A.N.P.R in Garda vehicles will be equipped to detect no insurance on cars from September.

Probably is though that there isn't enough to enforce the laws.

Scanning and printing altered discs is another thing going on.

Said ill try them all for a laugh and laugh was the word

25 Plus
    AA
    AIB
    AIG
    Allianz
    An Post
    Aviva
    Over 14 years
    AXA
    Blue Insurance
    Wont Quote
    Britton
    Chill
    BOI
    Campion
    Compare Car Insurance
    FBD
    Wont quote
    KennCo
    850 minimum
    Quote Me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

It seems Aliianz were also the cheapest for me by a mile, i got the quote online initially because they offered 14% Off
    Then i rang them to explain all the extra.

Male
    Learner permit held for 7 years (Only driving the last two years)
    2 Years NCB
    07 Opel Vectra 1.6
    3 penalty points for speeding.
    threw my Dad on it as a named driver

€1400 Allianz directly (no broker)

BOI quoted me 3300

Cover in a click came in at 1850 renewal (with Allianz)

Chill - 2099

I went with 1400 obviously, Allianz beat everyone by a mile.

Onto Allianz to chance my arm to see if i can get more off.

Reminding me Allianz customer care are crap over the phone, coming up on ten minutes, plus untold hassle with breakdown assistance before and had to use herselfs from 123 instead

Suppose once you save money and have insurance you hope youll never have to call

• Registered Users Posts: 14,891 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

renewing for the Mrs. with me as named driver - we're both mid 40s driving a Renault Scenic, no claims or points.

We previously got 2 years insurance in 2015 from Blue for €650, which in fairness was probably the cheapest insurance policy I've ever bought (and obviously meant I avoided last year's hikes). Renewal from Blue for 1 year is €760 (they no longer do the 2 year policies) so more for 1 year than I previously paid for 2 years.

After getting 14 different quotes the cheapest are from Allianz (530), and An Post (550). BOI, Aviva and 25plus were all < 600 as well, everyone else was 700 or more. Worth noting that BOI will allow you pay in instalments without charging you extra for it (you may need to be a BOI customer, I'm not sure). All very annoying as I can't see how we could be any lower risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,891 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Reminding me Allianz customer care are crap over the phone, coming up on ten minutes, plus untold hassle with breakdown assistance before and had to use herselfs from 123 instead

Suppose once you save money and have insurance you hope youll never have to call

don't all the insurance companies use the same breakdown provider (except AA obviously)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

loyatemu wrote: »
    don't all the insurance companies use the same breakdown provider (except AA obviously)?

No, they all negotiate with different providers, though they can overlap at times

loyatemu wrote: »

The issue was more the press 1 then 4 then 6 then 3 then our opening hours are x y and z, like a game on crystal maze, can you find the breakdown assistance department

Lucky I was outside the house trying to jump her car after being away for a few days, which then turned into two cars needing jumping

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

To get back to the template :P

Your Age: 27
    Car type and engine: 09 Fiesta Petrol 1.25
    years driving: 3
    any claims: 0
    Price and provider: AA renewal €1162
    AA (as new customer) €883
    123.ie €1,473
    Aviva €912
    First Ireland €1314
    Liberty €885
    KennCo €1309
    FBD €1,133
    25 plus €1485 (very strange, they're usually very good)

All quotes above are for fully comp cover

Craftylee wrote: »
    To get back to the template :P

Your Age: 27
    Car type and engine: 09 Fiesta Petrol 1.25
    years driving: 3
    any claims: 0
    Price and provider: AA renewal €1162
    AA (as new customer) €883
    123.ie €1,473
    Aviva €912
    First Ireland €1314
    Liberty €885
    KennCo €1309
    FBD €1,133
    25 plus €1485 (very strange, they're usually very good)

All quotes above are for fully comp cover

Watch AA

I got a good deal,something hit me about breakdown, oh no thats not included, its like E100 more and then went on the hard sell about best in Europe etc

Eh no thanks

Watch AA

I got a good deal,something hit me about breakdown, oh no thats not included, its like E100 more and then went on the hard sell about best in Europe etc

Eh no thanks

Yeap, the insurence cover does not overlap with their AA offering.

Another thing to be aware of with AA: their assumptions (https://car-insurance.theaa.ie/car-insurance/viewRiskDetails.do?type=standard) say that "4. No insurance company has refused to quote/renew a motor insurance policy, applied special conditions or increased premium in respect of you or any other driver being proposed.".

Hell, I was refused a quote with them when checking if could afford an RX8; I am pretty sure that almost everyone got in similar situation. So if I bought the policy online, the is a potential of it being voided/cancelled on the grounds of non-disclosure. That is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gussieg

Here's a good one, got quotes from Liberty for my son and me a named driver coming in at nearly 400 euro cheaper than the other way around. Both full Irish no claims no penalties and I was charged over a grand.some insurers wanted 3 grand.
    When I queried it the guy said oh he must be in our target market . I said what?!!
    Yes his age bracket must be in our target market. So there y are now, I'm not in their target market anymore.

• Advertisement

gussieg wrote: »
    Here's a good one, got quotes from Liberty for my son and me a named driver coming in at nearly 400 euro cheaper than the other way around. Both full Irish no claims no penalties and I was charged over a grand.some insurers wanted 3 grand.
    When I queried it the guy said oh he must be in our target market . I said what?!!
    Yes his age bracket must be in our target market. So there y are now, I'm not in their target market anymore.

I'm out of the 30-35 bracket myself and the quotes I get this year start to become outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I've spent a good chunk of the day getting quotes from all the main websites. It's painstaking stuff. The cheapest quote I've gotten, at almost €900 from Aviva, is nearly double last year's premium :eek: All the main providers quoted €900 - €1200, except Chill (€1600), Britton (€1300), BOI (1600) and AIG was a whopping 3 grand!!

I'm going to ring a few brokers tomorrow in the hope of finding something better. Does anybody have any recommendations re Brokers?

Last year I went with brokers because they offered me 640 on a 1.6 litre 1999 car and I didn't realise the crowd I'm insured with Patrona, does business with all of them. So by ringing brokers this time, I've been offered different quotes from Patrona again ranging in difference from 840 to 1200 , and that'd be from 3 different brokers so far.
    Having paid 280 back in 2014 thre really needs to be a shake up or shake down of this racketeering/ cartel business, or else we need to get something together like the One Big Switch. People power.

Last year I went with brokers because they offered me 640 on a 1.6 litre 1999 car and I didn't realise the crowd I'm insured with Patrona, does business with all of them. So by ringing brokers this time, I've been offered different quotes from Patrona again ranging in difference from 840 to 1200 , and that'd be from 3 different brokers so far.
    Having paid 280 back in 2014 thre really needs to be a shake up or shake down of this racketeering/ cartel business, or else we need to get something together like the One Big Switch. People power.

Doh ! Did it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlanMcC23

Car: 12 Audi A4 2.0tdi 177bhp auto, UK import.
    Years driving: 8
    NCB: 8 years
    No penalty points
    Cover: fully comp, windscreen cover, ncb fully protected, breakdown assist.
    Last year: €802
    Renewal came in the post yesterday from Aviva for €826
    Delighted with that happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

gussieg wrote: »

I'm gonna ring around in the morning. I got a quote from a broker online called simplyinsure.ie (never heard of them before) for €800 (Zurich are the Underwriters), and that includes driving other cars and step back. So the prices are finally starting to go in the right direction for me. I'd be hopeful that ringing around to the various brokers will get me good value, as it has done so in the past. As you say, many underwriters such and Patrona and Qudos etc seem only to be accessible through brokers. I've a list of ten to fifteen brokers to get through tomorrow and over the next few days. I'll report back with how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭dodzy

Rothmans wrote: »
    I've spent a good chunk of the day getting quotes from all the main websites. It's painstaking stuff. The cheapest quote I've gotten, at almost €900 from Aviva, is nearly double last year's premium :eek: All the main providers quoted €900 - €1200, except Chill (€1600), Britton (€1300), BOI (1600) and AIG was a whopping 3 grand!!

I'm going to ring a few brokers tomorrow in the hope of finding something better. Does anybody have any recommendations re Brokers?

Allianz, just in case you missed them (not a broker). And first Ireland (brokers).

dodzy wrote:
    Allianz, just in case you missed them (not a broker). And first Ireland (brokers).

I tried first Ireland, gave up trying to get through, look at their Google review, hardly a place you'll want to call if you've issues.

I used a Brooker on the southside, weird that they only took bank draft .

• Advertisement

Just heard on the radio news that insurance companies though in profit, are NOT GOING TO REDUCE THEIR PRICES.
    This is something we are forced to pay for by law, hardly ever gets used, and now they say they want 80% more than what was being paid before.
    When is enough enough?
    There has to be a revolution.

Advertisement