Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

gussieg wrote: »
    Just heard on the radio news that insurance companies though in profit, are NOT GOING TO REDUCE THEIR PRICES.
    This is something we are forced to pay for by law, hardly ever gets used, and now they say they want 80% more than what was being paid before.
    When is enough enough?
    There has to be a revolution.

One insurer made €12m profit out of a turnover of €190m (around 6% return). Having made a loss of €3.5m last year, they will be cautious about reducing premiums

Genuinely, we should all be thrilled that they have made profit. They ONLY way premiums will come down is through profit and competition. Perhaps new insurers will dip their toe in the water. Seriously, it's good news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gussieg

And there WILL be a revolution. https://my.uplift.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The announcement today from FBD is a profit of 7%.

So even with all the increases in prices that still only equates to 7% of a profit.

That means that it's taken 30% to 40% of an increase in premiums on average to make a meagre 7% profit.

What dp you think that means?

I'll tell you what it means.

Selling policies at the prices they were selling for 4 or 5 years ago lost money.

If an insurer keeps losing money they will eventually go bankrupt like Setanta.

Moral of the story is that prices increased and will not decrease by any significant margin for the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

That's all assuming there is very straight forward accounting and none of the creative stuff, which would be all be legit but just a tad creative !

Insurance co's are not exactly renowned for their transparency.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My Insurance is not due for a few months but every so often I do a fake policy to see how I will fair. About 3-4 weeks ago I done a online quote with Chill.ie and got a reasonable quote of €725.39. For the craic last night I done another fake policy and notice they changed the website around and now they will not even quote me. To say I don't care is an understatement as they were by far the cheapest and also my car is old a 1998 Jap import, so to find a company willing to take e on will be hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

30 years driving full license
    Full no claims
    25 years with FBD (I do price around)
    No points
    Commercial jeep worth €5k 10 years old
    1 named driver no claims full license of 4 years age 23 no points

Quoted €911 that a rise of €300

What the fcuk :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mc Doc

I have new quote from NoNonsence

Age - 44
    Full Drive License
    10 Years
    0 Clime bonus
    Car - 2 litre disel - 2007

900 Euro! Why increase on 200 euro!!!!

Mc Doc wrote: »
    I have new quote from NoNonsence

Age - 44
    Full Drive License
    10 Years
    0 Clime bonus
    Car - 2 litre disel - 2007

900 Euro! Why increase on 200 euro!!!!

Might have something to do with zero no claims bonus unless you meant to say zero points.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

Previous Car was 2005 1.4 Ford Focus. insured with Aviva for €400

Age - 28
    Full Drive License
    7 Years driving exp
    7 no claims bonus
    0 penalty points
    Car - changed to a 1.9 TDI Skoda Octavia 3 months before renewal

€750 renewal , an increase of about €350, not paying that

rang around and got liberty for €485 after lashing the parents on the insurance as named drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

miece16 wrote: »
    Previous Car was 2005 1.4 Ford Focus. insured with Aviva for €400

Age - 28
    Full Drive License
    7 Years driving exp
    7 no claims bonus
    0 penalty points
    Car - changed to a 1.9 TDI Skoda Octavia 3 months before renewal

€750 renewal , an increase of about €350, not paying that

rang around and got liberty for €485 after lashing the parents on the insurance as named drivers

what year is the skoda?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Your Age: 31
    Full Licence (2years)
    Car type and engine: 07 Focus Petrol 1.6
    Years driving: 3
    NCB 3
    Any claims: 0
    Price and provider: Allianz renewal €1302 (increase of €200)

Went with the AA €901
    Which includes a learner driver holding permit for less than a year.

Average quotes were €1400 from the usual suspects.

Happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Which companies do older cars again? I scanned through the thread but couldn't find them. I'm looking for a 19 year old car here :rolleyes:

I've been with Axa for the last 3 years and it's gone up about €100 every year. I rang around a bit last year but never got a quote that was worth changing insurer and dread having to do it again. I got a renewal quote today and sure enough, another €100 added on to a total of €750 :|

I'm driving 10 years, with a full licence, 10 year ncb and no penalty points. The car is a '98 Hyundai accent.

Without the 75% ncb that I'm eligible for, the policy is a cool €3010.11 :pac:

The percentage of discount is totally redundant since they make up these mad policy prices

It's like saying if you insure with us, you get a 99% discount!*
    (*99% of our new €75,000 quote)

I better ring up and see what the story is. I don't have any named drivers on it but could put parents on it. What would it go down by if at all, if I put parents as named drivers on the policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

-=al=- wrote: »
    to a total of €750 :|

That's not bad at all and you'll struggle to find much better quote in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

I am half way through my policy at present. does anyone know (this may be a stoopid question?!) but can I cancel my existing policy now and take out insurance with another provider if I find a cheaper policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

grogi wrote: »
    That's not bad at all and you'll struggle to find much better quote in fairness.

Damn... That's what happened last year and ended up just staying on and renewing. I wonder what adding named drivers to the policy might do :confused:

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    I am half way through my policy at present. does anyone know (this may be a stoopid question?!) but can I cancel my existing policy now and take out insurance with another provider if I find a cheaper policy?

You can do that yes but you will be losing the half year no claims bonus. My advice would be stay for the rest of the year and then search for cheaper price when time for renewal with the extra year NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

-=al=- wrote: »
    I got a renewal quote today and sure enough, another €100 added on to a total of €750 :|

I'm driving 10 years, with a full licence, 10 year ncb and no penalty points. The car is a '98 Hyundai accent.

I am similar to you profile wise and paying 700 for 05 Focus. And finding quotes won't be easy for your "Dangerously" old car forget about cheaper quotes.

Meeeee79 wrote: »

You can - but if this is your first year with this policy, you will get hardly anything if you cancelled now. This half year will not account for NCB either.

Just wait until renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Renewal time. Quote off my broker: €1050. Sourced another quote myself: €580 I'll be asking them to explain that to me when they call to ask if I'm renewing. And I didn't even look particularly hard, it was the second quote I got.

Incidentally, I can't remember exactly how many years NCB I've got. The cert just states 5+ Is this the kind of thing that they'd get pernickity over in the event of a claim?

Renewal time. Quote off my broker: €1050. Sourced another quote myself: €580 I'll be asking them to explain that to me when they call to ask if I'm renewing.

Dead right, the new Insurer appears to have broken Cartel Rule No.1 by offering a competitive premium against a fellow member

• Advertisement

Dead right, the new Insurer appears to have broken Cartel Rule No.1 by offering a competitive premium against a fellow member

It only took some raids from European Competition Directorate and Irish Competition and Consumer Protection Commission.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/motor-insurance-providers-in-ireland-targeted-in-anti-cartel-inquiry-1.3142988

;)

grogi wrote: »
    It only took some raids from European Competition Directorate and Irish Competition and Consumer Protection Commission.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/motor-insurance-providers-in-ireland-targeted-in-anti-cartel-inquiry-1.3142988

;)

Those raids were in relation to compliance with regulations and not pricing. Many of the premises "raided" were insurance brokers, who do not set premiums

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭btmp75

Hi I am sorry if this posted in a wrong place. I recently bought a 2012 Honda Fit ( import from ~Japan) 1.5 pet/hybrid. Many companies are refusing to give a quote. Just wondering any one could help by giving brokers / companies who accept Japanese imports.

I know you've a bit of a chip on your shoulder when it comes to this topic, but lemme explain my annoyance. I don't have a huge amount of free time to go shopping for insurance quotes, therefore I engage a broker, and pay their broker fees. So when they come to me with a renewal quote that's almost double what I could source myself, I do question what I'm paying them for. Now, geddit?

btmp75 wrote: »
    Hi I am sorry if this posted in a wrong place. I recently bought a 2012 Honda Fit ( import from ~Japan) 1.5 pet/hybrid. Many companies are refusing to give a quote. Just wondering any one could help by giving brokers / companies who accept Japanese imports.

Did you try Liberty?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

You can do that yes but you will be losing the half year no claims bonus. My advice would be stay for the rest of the year and then search for cheaper price when time for renewal with the extra year NCB.

Thanks for this, never even thought of the no claims!!

Not worth changing overall so considering what losing a years no claims would cost

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Full Licence: 5 years
    Car type and engine: '02 BMW 525i petrol 2.5L
    NCB: 3 years
    3 Points on licence
    Claims: 0
    Price and provider: Post Insurance (new business) quote €1850 Fully comp, €1550 3rd Party F&T

Currently with BOI Motor Insurance. May be forced to change to something newer.

I know you've a bit of a chip on your shoulder when it comes to this topic, but lemme explain my annoyance. I don't have a huge amount of free time to go shopping for insurance quotes, therefore I engage a broker, and pay their broker fees. So when they come to me with a renewal quote that's almost double what I could source myself, I do question what I'm paying them for. Now, geddit?

That same broker that you use might be able to source cover for half of what is available online for someone with a different profile to yours. It is a free and open market with each insurer trying to cherrypick what they perceive to be profitable business. Now, do you geddit?

Edit; Also, if you don't take the broker's offering, you pay them nothing, so what harm has been done.

That same broker that you use might be able to source cover for half of what is available online for someone with a different profile to yours. It is a free and open market with each insurer trying to cherrypick what they perceive to be profitable business. Now, do you geddit?

Edit; Also, if you don't take the broker's offering, you pay them nothing, so what harm has been done.

That doesn't explain how I can source a cheaper quote myself. Isn't the purpose of a broker to source you the best value policy, and charge a fee for doing so? And I'd also argue that because it's a _renewal_ quote, that I've already paid them to find me the best deal.

My point is that I wouldn't argue if there was €50/€100 in the difference, because you'd probably come across a discrepancy in the level of cover to account for it. But double the price is a farce.

• Advertisement

The broker's function is to obtain the best cover and price that is available to him. If he meets your requirements, he will take a fee. If other outlets are cheaper, he loses out on income. Not all brokers have access to all products, so it would be impossible for them to always meet every client's requirements. That's why there are so many out there.

Advertisement