Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

That doesn't explain how I can source a cheaper quote myself. Isn't the purpose of a broker to source you the best value policy, and charge a fee for doing so? And I'd also argue that because it's a _renewal_ quote, that I've already paid them to find me the best deal.

My point is that I wouldn't argue if there was €50/€100 in the difference, because you'd probably come across a discrepancy in the level of cover to account for it. But double the price is a farce.

You seem to be confused with how brokers operate.

I can pretty much guarantee you could try 10 different brokers and you would get 10 different prices from the same insurance company.

Some insurers don't operate in the broker market.

Some only operate with particular brokers.

Some insurers will only sell their product through a handful of brokers only.

Some brokers will have better discounts for a given insurer because the business they have written has performed well.

Conversely, some brokers will have poor rates available with particular insurers because they business they placed with them has performed poorly.

There is no one size fits all when it comes to the broker network.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Heard it all now after being told my previous car was too old my current car is valued too low ffs these insurers are nothing but scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Heard it all now after being told my previous car was too old my current car is valued too low ffs these insurers are nothing but scumbags.

Scumbags for telling you that you undervalued your car?

How is that scumbaggy?

If it's worth 10 and you have it insured for 5 then in the event of a total loss you would only get 5.

How is trying to make sure you do not end up screwing yourself scummy?

Jesus, some people.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I read it as the insurers think his car is worth **** all and dont want to insure it for that reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Statistically a driver driving a car that is worth less is a bigger risk for the insurer than the same driver in a brand new car.

People often forget that the motor insurance business is mainly about covering the damages the driver does to others, not to the car she/he drivers. The latter is just a drop in sea...

• Advertisement

inforfun wrote: »
    I read it as the insurers think his car is worth **** all and dont want to insure it for that reason?

Firstly - with TPL insurance (the mandatory one) insurers don't insure car. They insure the driver driving that car. And yes, some will not quote if that car is worthless.

The cheaper the car, the higher probability it is under-maintained. I still remember the thread 'I failed the NCT on shock imbalance. FFS, the car is worth less than replacing them, I won't be spending that kind of money on €500 ar. How can I cheat the NCT?!'

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

grogi wrote: »
    Firstly - for TPL insurance (the mandatory one) insurers don't insure car. They insure the driver driving that car. And yes, some will not quote if the car is worthless.

Yeah, i know.

His car is too old\worth nothing and therefor dont want to insure him.
    If he had been driving something worth more, they would insure him.

See where i am going...?

How is that scumbaggy?

If it's worth 10 and you have it insured for 5 then in the event of a total loss you would only get 5.

How is trying to make sure you do not end up screwing yourself scummy?

Jesus, some people.

No its valued correctly, its another way of declining cars, surely they would want to insure a smaller value car?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

h3000 wrote: »
    Both mine and my wife's insurance is up in the next few days.

Me:
    34. 16 years claims free driving. Full licence 16 years. No penalty points.
    2013 Ford Mondeo 140 TDCI Aviva renewal €555. Last year €499. Fully comp with NCD protection.
    Wife:
    36. 8 years claims free driving. Full license 8 years. No penalty points.
    2005 Toyota Corolla 1.4 petrol Aviva renewal €436. Last year €385. Fully comp with NCD protection.

Named driver on each other's policies.

I got a lot of quotes over the last few days but got nowhere near Avivas quotes but rang Aviva today and haggled a bit anyway and got mine for €550 and my wife's for €382. Not too bad overall with some of the mad quotes I've seen here.
    Just renewed our policies again.

Me:
    35. 17 years claims free driving. Full licence 17 years. No penalty points.
    2013 Ford Mondeo 140 TDCI. Aviva renewal letter stated €655. Last year €550 Fully comp with NCD protection.
    Paid €603

Wife:
    37. 9 years claims free driving. Full license 9 years. No penalty points.
    2005 Toyota Corolla 1.4 petrol. Aviva renewal €481. Last year €382. Fully comp with NCD protection.
    Paid €444

Again I got a lot of quotes over the last few days but got nowhere near Avivas quotes but rang Aviva yesterday and haggled a bit anyway and got mine for €603 and my wife's for €444. Not too bad overall with some of the mad quotes I've seen on here.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

No its valued correctly, its another way of declining cars, surely they would want to insure a smaller value car?

No, that's not the case. If, for example, you value a 2015 Toyota Corolla for €3,000, insurers would rightly guess that there is something not quite right with the condition of the vehicle

• Advertisement

No, that's not the case. If, for example, you value a 2015 Toyota Corolla for €3,000, insurers would rightly guess that there is something not quite right with the condition of the vehicle

sorry should have worded that better, I meant if a car was valued correctly for the year etc that paying out less would be better.

sorry should have worded that better, I meant if a car was valued correctly for the year etc that paying out less would be better.

Not all claims are for a total loss. Repairs cost roughly the same for older cars as with newer models

Not all claims are for a total loss. Repairs cost roughly the same for older cars as with newer models

Not everyone gets fully comp TPFT would rule out repairs I assume.

Not everyone gets fully comp TPFT would rule out repairs I assume.

If it is recovered after theft and needs repair, it still applies

If it is recovered after theft and needs repair, it still applies

The assessor would write it off, the chances of it being repaired are slim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Car: 08 Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI

NCD: 3

Licence, full 2 years, 0 points

Cover: TPFT

Renewal: €1077 - Liberty

The assessor would write it off, the chances of it being repaired are slim.

Which identifies another problem with older cars. If an older car is worth, say €3,000, and suffers damage which would cost €1,500 to repair, it is likely to be written off. Insurers may get around €500 for the salvage, leaving them with a payout of €2,500.

A newer car worth €10,000 will be sent for repair only costing the €1,500

Which identifies another problem with older cars. If an older car is worth, say €3,000, and suffers damage which would cost €1,500 to repair, it is likely to be written off. Insurers may get around €500 for the salvage, leaving them with a payout of €2,500.

Firstly, that should not be a consideration for a insurer offering TPL policy. Insurer might not offer the comprehensive insurance, but for TPL it really doesn't matter.
    If it matters, it is not free market and there is a behind-the-scenes agreement between insurers to influence the market, when one insurer does not want to insure driving particular vehicle because other insurer might get more cost.

Secondly, why a 50% repair bill should write the car off? €1500 is the price of cracked bumper and a headlight. Fix it when it makes economical sense and write it off when it is dangerous to drive.

500 salvage plus excess 300-500 plus the cost of the yearly insurance, so prob closer to 1000 euro than 2500. Insurance is a necessity for us and a gamble for them its the nature of their business.

500 salvage plus excess 300-500 plus the cost of the yearly insurance, so prob closer to 1000 euro than 2500. Insurance is a necessity for us and a gamble for them its the nature of their business.

The excess applies for both scenarios, I just wanted to give a simple example.

Yes, insurers are basically gamblers. However, professional gamblers make educated bets and don't put their money on horses that have lost them too much money in the past

• Advertisement

Firstly, that should not be a consideration for a insurer offering TPL policy. Insurer might not offer the comprehensive insurance, but for TPL it really doesn't matter.
    If it matters, it is not free market and there is a behind-the-scenes agreement between insurers to influence the market, when one insurer does not want to insure driving particular vehicle because other insurer might get more cost.

Secondly, why a 50% repair bill should write the car off? €1500 is the price of cracked bumper and a headlight. Fix it when it makes economical sense and write it off when it is dangerous to drive.

That's it, the cartel have it sorted.

The reason vehicles get written off at that level is because the initial figure is usually an estimate and further damage can be discovered as the repair is ongoing. This can lead to repairs costing in excess of the market value.

The excess applies for both scenarios, I just wanted to give a simple example.

Yes, insurers are basically gamblers. However, professional gamblers make educated bets and don't put their money on horses that have lost them too much money in the past

Then why have a NCT that validates a cars safety? is a 2012 car with no NCT safer than a 2004 with NCT. Whats going to happen is people will have to take out loans/credit just so they have a car they can get decent insurance on....like the boom all over again.

Then why have a NCT that validates a cars safety? is a 2012 car with no NCT safer than a 2004 with NCT. Whats going to happen is people will have to take out loans/credit just so they have a car they can get decent insurance on....like the boom all over again.

Insurers have never said that older cars are unsafe, people have chosen to interpret it that way for some reason. Insurers have stated that the reason they are avoiding older cars is because they feel they are used in a disproportionate number of serious claims.

There may be other factors associated with these larger claims, such as sex, nationality, ethnic origin etc. but equality laws prohibit them from citing these reasons, so they go with the neutral one

Insurers have never said that older cars are unsafe, people have chosen to interpret it that way for some reason. Insurers have stated that the reason they are avoiding older cars is because they feel they are used in a disproportionate number of serious claims.

There may be other factors associated with these larger claims, such as sex, nationality, ethnic origin etc. but equality laws prohibit them from citing these reasons, so they go with the neutral one

I literally got told they dont insure older cars as they are unsafe and more prone to accidents :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

The cheaper the car, the higher probability it is under-maintained. I still remember the thread 'I failed the NCT on shock imbalance. FFS, the car is worth less than replacing them, I won't be spending that kind of money on €500 ar. How can I cheat the NCT?!'

Badly maintained cars is not confined to older cars, far from it. If you were to go into a shopping centre and look at cars from 2010 upwards it might just shock you how many are on tyres that virtually down to the wire. Try not to loose sight of the fact that the NCT is just a snapshot of the road worthiness of the car on the day it is tested. A lot can happen in the meantime to the next test, in particular for a car less than 10 years old that's tested every 2 years.

Might be interesting to get some quotes for someone with a full ncb and many years of claims free driving who is driving a car worth a grand. Then get a quote for someone who had a serious accident for which they were at fault within the past 5 yrs but driving a car only a few yrs old worth in excess of €20k - keep all other particulars the same as initial motorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

Got the renewal quote for missus and meself.
    I'm a named driver on missus policy.
    NCB: 5
    Car : 04 ford cmax 1.6tdci.
    Me:24
    No penalty points between us.
    Ulster bank renewal: €734
    Had a motorbike accident last year(non fault)
    Claim still open so don't think I can price around!!
    Would adding any of my parents drop the quote you think?
    We don't live with them so can they still be added?
    Quote isn't actually that bad compared to others but wanna try knock a few quid off.
    Can see me ringing them and them telling me that quote was an error and adding a 1 in front of the €700:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

honda boi wrote: »
    Got the renewal quote for missus and meself.
    I'm a named driver on missus policy.
    NCB: 5
    Car : 04 ford cmax 1.6tdci.
    Me:24
    No penalty points between us.
    Ulster bank renewal: €734
    Had a motorbike accident last year(non fault)
    Claim still open so don't think I can price around!!
    Would adding any of my parents drop the quote you think?
    We don't live with them so can they still be added?
    Quote isn't actually that bad compared to others but wanna try knock a few quid off.
    Can see me ringing them and them telling me that quote was an error and adding a 1 in front of the €700:p
    Can you increase the value of your car? Could decrease the premium don't know why, but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Can't believe I'm back here again. Well, here goes...

Car: 09 Ford Focus 1.6l

Licence, full 17 years (got points for speeding in early 2014 - can't remember whether they're still live)

Cover: comprehensive

Renewal: €914 (€1,015 without online renewal) - 123.ie

Clearly I need to rethink the comprehensive cover. What a joke...

Licence, full 17 years (got points for speeding in early 2014 - can't remember whether they're still live)

Try 25plus.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

I have a 05 Focus 1.6 and this year's quote was 700E from Allianz. Also My profile is worse than yours(36 years old male).

Advertisement