Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Blackwater Mallow

• 24-08-2015 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

Anybody know what the Blackwater is like to fish near Lombardstown for trout and salmon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Mallow is my home town.

Trout fishing is quite good. If you fish during the day, be prepared to do a lot of heavy nymphing in fast water. You can get bags of 25+ in a few hours doing this.

If your a die hard wet fly man, evening time is your best bet.

If dry fly is your thing, there are better rivers to pick from

One rule though is you must wear thigh waders in mallow and lombarstown waters, a rule imposed by the salmon lads who own the waters.

I dont fish for salmon but have had salmon on trout rods by accident.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

BrownTrout wrote: »
    One rule though is you must wear thigh waders in mallow and lombarstown waters, a rule imposed by the salmon lads who own the waters.

You MUST wear thigh waders? What's the idea behind that? Can you not fish from the bank in wellies? Are chest waders banned?

You MUST wear thigh waders? What's the idea behind that? Can you not fish from the bank in wellies? Are chest waders banned?

Yes you can fish with wellies, but you cannot wear waist or chest waders. A stupid rule I know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Safety? You dont want to fall over wearing chest waders..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

boomdocker wrote: »
    Safety? You dont want to fall over wearing chest waders..

That's why they invented wading belts....

• Advertisement

I would MUCH rather fall in my chesties (with a belt and drawstring up top) than my thigh waders.

Advertisement