Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Relations

Options
  • 24-08-2015 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey,

I'm looking at studying international relations in DCU next year, and I was wondering if anyone would have any information on the course. If anyone had any info on things such as class assignments/ hours a week the course in on, whether there is an option to study abroad or study a language, and whether they talk to the students about recruitment options and career prospects after the course, that would be really helpful!
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭AKeenan348

littleun wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm looking at studying international relations in DCU next year, and I was wondering if anyone would have any information on the course. If anyone had any info on things such as class assignments/ hours a week the course in on, whether there is an option to study abroad or study a language, and whether they talk to the students about recruitment options and career prospects after the course, that would be really helpful!
    Thank you

Hiya,

That's my course. Starting next month and waiting to register. Got my welcome pack and orientation schedule. If you want to read up on the course and past exam papers follow these directions.

There's an optional 3rd year to study abroad in France, Germany, Poland, the U.S. and a few others. All depends on how you want your career path to go. You also have a choice of languages too. Everything about the course and potential careers is the directions for the pages I gave you below.

Log onto DCU homepage, then 'Study at DCU' in the menu at the top of the page, and 'Undergraduate Programmes' in the drop down menu. When the page changes, and find FACULTY OF HUMANITIES AND SOCIAL SCIENCES, click
    DC 231 International Relations.
    Read down through what it says, but look for a link that says 'View the subjects currently taught on this course (2014-2015)'. It's on the page twice. In the section for Programme Learning Goals and the last line on the page about the course. Click the link, and a page will come up for all your modules. Each module in the list is a link, telling you learning outcomes, exam weights, assignments, etc. after you click any of the module links, at the top of the page, the next link you look for, is 'Online Module Resources', no matter which module you click. When that page comes up, the link for past exam papers is in that first paragraph. If the modules has exams attached to them then they'll have the exam papers posted on those pages for the modules. From what I made out, they have exam papers going back the past ten years or more, for the modules we have exams in. Which seems to be the only course that doesn't have many exams. Depending on if you take a language, which is optional. The exam papers is in the same place for each course. I found them a huge help in deciding my course. What the actual assignments will be like, I only have an idea. They'll expect academic writing. Big difference to Leaving Cert essays. Which means referencing, keeping to a specific word count. And a lot of research. If you like, I'll let you know exactly what the assignments are like.

But the best advice I can give you is do plenty of research on all courses. Different courses, different colleges. Don't put your eggs in one basket. Believe me, there's a lot of options along similar lines. If you are a Leaving Cert student, it's based on the best results in the L.C. exam, and then it's competition based. If you're PLC, you're giving yourself a head start by asking them to consider both your LC and the PLC. If you're a mature student, they take pretty much anything into account. Apply for the CAO as early as you can. I know so many ppl who messed up by leaving it to the last minute, and found it difficult to change their minds. Good luck. Hope the advice helps and feel free to PM me.

Advertisement