Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best wok

Options
  • 24-08-2015 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

hi folks.want to invest in a good wok pan,want one thats non stick,and wont peel leaving bits of black on the food,and will last a few years,any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

sniperman wrote: »
    hi folks.want to invest in a good wok pan,want one thats non stick,and wont peel leaving bits of black on the food,and will last a few years,any suggestions?

To be honest, any of them from an asian market will do. They're not expensive, just make sure to season it well. Don't get anything with teflon and such, the coating will just come off.

When you buy it, rub vegetable oil or something with a similar flash point all over it and stick it on the heat until it smokes and the wok goes dark. That will give it it's non stick properties. Repeat every so often. Don't put it in the dishwasher either, just a quick scrub.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have an electric hob and have found it doesn't work well with woks, so I use a large heavy based sauté pan instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Avada wrote: »
    To be honest, any of them from an asian market will do. They're not expensive, just make sure to season it well. Don't get anything with teflon and such, the coating will just come off.

When you buy it, rub vegetable oil or something with a similar flash point all over it and stick it on the heat until it smokes and the wok goes dark. That will give it it's non stick properties. Repeat every so often. Don't put it in the dishwasher either, just a quick scrub.

I think it was Gok Wan on his cooking show who said you should never need to spend more than £10/15 on a wok and that the best ones are the ones you pick up from an Asian market.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

The Chinese supermarket on Henry Street in Limerick has a big selection (or at least used to, i don't live there anymore and miss it).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭squonk

dibkins wrote: »
    The Chinese supermarket on Henry Street in Limerick has a big selection (or at least used to, i don't live there anymore and miss it).

They still do! It's a great spot altogether!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭RJohnG

sniperman wrote: »

You have to season a wok. Then food wont stick.

Golden rules.

1. Heat dry wok until it smokes.

2. Add oil, swivel it all over the wok then drain excess.

3. Start cooking.

Advertisement