Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ta-Dahl!

Options
  • 24-08-2015 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Hosting a surprise birthday party Saturday night and was going to do a vegetarian dahl as one of the options (a friend made it recently and it was a big hit!) but he cant remember the exact recipe, its something like:

Fry onions/garlic/chillie
    Boil Red Split Lentils
    Add 3 tbsp. of unroasted yellow curry powder (he bought this in sri lanka, no idea where you'd find it in cork?!)
    mustard seeds
    curry leaves
    splash of coconut milk
    chilli powder

That's all he remembers, it was delicious but I don't think ill have time to go and track down that specific a curry powder (or trust him not to forgotten some ingredients :D )

So im thinking I might go with either the cooking club dahl:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056337851

The green saffron dahl:
    http://www.greensaffron.com/features/recipes/red-lentil-dahl/

Or this one I see the beerrevolution posted back in 2013:
    http://www.delicieux.eu/?p=531

Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions for this? Im leaning towards the green saffron or the beerrevolution's one as I don't know where id pick up poppy seeds for the cooking club recipe?

(definitely overthinking this but want it to be good and never made it before!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

The green saffron red lentil is pretty much my favourtie curry. Careful with the chilli!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Markcheese

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Hosting a surprise birthday party Saturday night and was going to do a vegetarian dahl as one of the options (a friend made it recently and it was a big hit!) but he cant remember the exact recipe, its something like:

Fry onions/garlic/chillie
    Boil Red Split Lentils
    Add 3 tbsp. of unroasted yellow curry powder (he bought this in sri lanka, no idea where you'd find it in cork?!)
    mustard seeds
    curry leaves
    splash of coconut milk
    chilli powder

That's all he remembers, it was delicious but I don't think ill have time to go and track down that specific a curry powder (or trust him not to forgotten some ingredients :D )

So im thinking I might go with either the cooking club dahl:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056337851

The green saffron dahl:
    http://www.greensaffron.com/features/recipes/red-lentil-dahl/

Or this one I see the beerrevolution posted back in 2013:
    http://www.delicieux.eu/?p=531

Just wondering if anybody has any suggestions for this? Im leaning towards the green saffron or the beerrevolution's one as I don't know where id pick up poppy seeds for the cooking club recipe?

(definitely overthinking this but want it to be good and never made it before!)
    Mr bells in the English market and togher will probably have the poppy seeds and most health food shops like quay co-op, well and good (Midleton) will likely have most things
    Easy to just get a green saffron spice mix and use that though -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Worthy of a thread of its own.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

dibkins wrote: »
    The green saffron red lentil is pretty much my favourtie curry. Careful with the chilli!

Really? Might be worth a try so!

Markcheese wrote: »
    Mr bells in the English market and togher will probably have the poppy seeds and most health food shops like quay co-op, well and good (Midleton) will likely have most things
    Easy to just get a green saffron spice mix and use that though -

Well a quick Google shows Mr bells in togher isn't far away from work so might pop in there at lunch tomorrow!
    In the grand scheme of things (think I've to feed 25-30 sat night) the green saffron might be the best option since I'll be doing a lot of other dishes too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Markcheese

bigronnie9 wrote: »
    Well a quick Google shows Mr bells in togher isn't far away from work so might pop in there at lunch tomorrow!
    In the grand scheme of things (think I've to feed 25-30 sat night) the green saffron might be the best option since I'll be doing a lot of other dishes too!
    Don't know if mr bells have the green saffron range / but green saffron have a stall at Wilton market today -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Don't know if mr bells have the green saffron range / but green saffron have a stall at Wilton market today -

I was planning on going getting some for myself, but srsly, this rain><

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Yup, it is hot if you follow the packet recipe. As always with chillis though, you gotta taste! OP, a small warning - the dish is super plain in appearance (think cow pat), make sure you have a nice scattering of coriander for it. Green Saffron also do a chana masala which is really tasty if you can't get the dal mix (i rarely see it in shops which is why i was going to go to the stall). It also has a great texture and looks a lot better. Also, i always make a quick riata up if i'm having curry, helps if you do make it too hot^^

thanks for all the replies lads, as usual this forum is a great place for advice!

might pop over to wilton at lunchtime and see if I can get the green saffron packets... will also be paying mr bells a visit to have a look! ive often come across recipes that need ingredients I couldn't find in Tesco etc so interested to see what they have!

* forgot to say, duly noted about the spiciness! will look into having a raita with it and also the chana masala. Its mainly for the veggies as ill be doing plenty of meat dishes but I hadn't considered if they are able to handle very spicy food so good call!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I usually make some aloo tikki whenever I make a red lentil dahl. It's easy and quick, and it's nice to have something with a different texture to go with the dahl.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I usually make some aloo tikki whenever I make a red lentil dahl. It's easy and quick, and it's nice to have something with a different texture to go with the dahl.

Never heard of aloo tikki before but they look quite tasty (and easy too?!)

went to Wilton, couldn't find the green saffron stall....ended up heading into Tesco and buying two packets of the Red Lentil Dahl mix in there!

Any suggestions on cooking ahead of time or just do it in the pan before people start to arrive? not sure how well it would reheat if made the night before....

It reheats really well. I keep tubs of it in the freezer for dinner. I would cook the lentils a shade less than you think they need in that case, as they will soften a bit more when reheating. You will probs have to add a little extra liquid on reheating as well. Also, some people serve a dal nearly cooked to a a thick soup, i much prefer it with the lentils still having a little bite (i'm the same for porridge though, causes fights some mornings:P).

Shame the stand wasn't there, you might have got a free sample! they were missing last time i was there as well so i ended up getting a delicious burrito.

so comparing the recipe on the dahl packet to the one on the green saffron website... the website gives twice the quantity of all ingredients but still says just use one sachet?

I'm thinking ill follow this but maybe use some of the second sachet I bought as well.

On a side note, picked up a shoulder of pork today to do for the non vegetarians....cant wait

Dibkins ill make note of that for reheating, extra bit of liquid, reheat in saucepan not just fire it in the microwave!
    dibkins wrote: »
    Shame the stand wasn't there, you might have got a free sample! they were missing last time i was there as well so i ended up getting a delicious burrito.

I surprised myself by not giving into the temptation, if the queue wasn't so long I probably would have caved!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

There are almost as many versions of Dhal as there are cooks in India; it is the standard plain protein fare for vegetarians - (eg, many, many Indians.)

The method you outline above will work fine for any kind of lentils, any kind of spice: mix your own if you like, or get the ones you like best from any Asia Market - they are everywhere these days. Just ask the shop assistant what their mother used!

You can always reduce the chilli content in a recipe, or use just the flesh, not seeds: or, many other compromises with the heat are possible too. It should be cooked down, though, for best flavour, in the oil with garlic, ginger etc or whatever you use as starting mixture.

Best of luck!

Advertisement