Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual Monitors with stand

Options
  • 25-08-2015 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking to source a dual monitor (with stand) for my home office.

Anyone do this recently or recommend a setup?

Is there much in the software setup to tie them together?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Either 2 separate monitor arms or dual monitor arms (depending on the setup you want) should do fine on most office desks.

I haven't got monitor arms myself (can't afford right now) but I do have 3 monitors, all of different sizes, resolutions, Hz and orientations.

There is no special software. Having a dedicated GPU will make the process a little bit more intuitive with the brand's control panel (AMD or Nvidia) but even integrated graphics have basic screen setup albeit usually a lack of actual good monitor ports on the motherboard to make it worth doing (VGA/D-SUB for example).

You select the monitors and tell the control panel where they are in real life so it can make sure that when you move your mouse right it will move onto the secondary monitor that's on your physical right. Also if they're at different elevations or different sizes (vertical monitor for example) you can adjust that to your preference and tell it how you want to handle the rotation. You can even have the monitor up-side-down if you wanted in case you had preferneces with the bezel (power button on top or bottom for example) but that's something you'd want a monitor arm at that point. There is after market software on Windows for handling multiple monitors including the ability to have a taskbar on each display but I never bothered as that's just more crap for my system to load in my opinion. It apparently allows for individual desktop pictures on each display too but again that's another thing I take care of myself with a bit of splicing work in a photo editor for custom desktop pictures that span across all 3 monitors with windows desktop wallpaper set to 'tile'.

Be warned. It's hard to go back to single monitor usage if you use this long enough. It's a damn nice experience, though. I recommend you get used to windows hotkeys if you're on windows. Windows Key + Directional Key will squash windows to the left or right of the monitor and Windows Key + Shift + Directional Keys will make the whole window change to whichever monitor you pressed the directional key for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

I think I'm going to go with this:

I have one of these - buying a second one
    http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ie&cs=iedhs1&l=en&sku=906524

Going with this stand:
    http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&cs=iedhs1&sku=482-10011

Got a discount price quoted of €550 all in inc VAT and shipping...

Seems very pricey. I think someone in the general thread posted these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VonHaus-Monitor-Bracket-Screens-Rotation/dp/B0119NXXYQ/ref=pd_bxgy_23_img_y

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VonHaus-Monitor-Bracket-Screens-Rotation/dp/B0119RCQWW/ref=pd_sim_23_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SWBZ0Z9VWWVD3N699TH

About €150 less than that one you're looking at.

As for the monitor... if you've got the experience with it and are confident in its abilities then go for it. But there are lots of monitors to pick and choose from today but I guess you might be looking to match them aesthetically with their bezels.

Seems very pricey. I think someone in the general thread posted these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VonHaus-Monitor-Bracket-Screens-Rotation/dp/B0119NXXYQ/ref=pd_bxgy_23_img_y

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VonHaus-Monitor-Bracket-Screens-Rotation/dp/B0119RCQWW/ref=pd_sim_23_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SWBZ0Z9VWWVD3N699TH

About €150 less than that one you're looking at.

As for the monitor... if you've got the experience with it and are confident in its abilities then go for it. But there are lots of monitors to pick and choose from today but I guess you might be looking to match them aesthetically with their bezels.

That arms seems decent alright - thanks for the link - yes, the monitor served me very well so I don;t mind investing a few bob into a 2nd one.

Just be sure to check the dimensions carefully. Both your displays are wide. I haven't confirmed if that dual arm one I posted will be able to handle them side-by-side (although I'd be surpised if it couldn't). It might be you have to go for two single arms which isn't that big of a deal once you have it all set up and in a way it has its own advantages.

Good luck

• Advertisement

Just be sure to check the dimensions carefully. Both your displays are wide. I haven't confirmed if that dual arm one I posted will be able to handle them side-by-side (although I'd be surpised if it couldn't). It might be you have to go for two single arms which isn't that big of a deal once you have it all set up and in a way it has its own advantages.

Good luck

will do and thanks again for your help!

Now all I have to do is source a good corner desk to house it. You'd be suprised how little choice of decent desks are out there.

sticker wrote: »
    will do and thanks again for your help!

Now all I have to do is source a good corner desk to house it. You'd be suprised how little choice of decent desks are out there.

I understand completely. That's why I commissioned my corner desk to be made by a local carpenter.

Where are you based? Would you mind pm me image of your desk and the cost please? No worries if you'd prefer not to!

No problem. I'll PM you sometime in the next day as I can't take a picture right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

if you can go with single arms, do. They will give you a lot more flexibility for monitor placement as oppose to a dual mount.

Also check the dimensions of that dell stand, AFAIK it is quite big

• Advertisement
Advertisement