Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand

Options
  • 25-08-2015 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

So I am planning on doing a year in New Zealand in January!

While I am over there I have been toying with the prospect of working with horses, does anyone have experience of yards in New Zealand?

I should also add, I have never actually worked in the equine industry just worked on my own horses and anyone else's I can get my hands on too!! And also earlier this year I got my BHS stage 1.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

You lucky thing! New Zealand is amazing. Theres a lovely yard in glenorchy near queenstown that give trail rides. Would you do something like that or are you more interested in sport or racehorses?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭emma-fly

I think I would do just about anything to be around horses! :) Just have no idea how strict the yards are on having qualifications previous experience etc.

you can always email and ask. We went for a ride with one of the stables and I didnt get the impression that the guide had major qualifications. A first aid course might be a useful thing to do. Glenorchy is seriously beautiful and close to the milford and routeburn tracks. oh I want to go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Would you consider doing a working holiday type thing? I can't remember the name of it but there's a site like couchsurfing where you stay with a family and help out around the place in exchange. There were horse yards on it, I'm sure you could find a few in New Zealand. It might be an idea for a while in order to find your feet and figure out how things work over there :)

Woofing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Somebody I know has gone to Australia and is working in a Coolmore yard, and they don't have any qualifications other than the B Pony Club test. I don't know if hey had contacts to get them 'in'? But I think most places would be happy to have someone to work and gain experience.

Would it be worth asking for references from people who know you, so at least you would have that when applying for jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭emma-fly

Oh wow this is good to hear convert! Hopefully the BHS exam will stand to me so.

I am arriving into Auckland originally so hopefully I can find something there, woofing or full time work!

As I have never actually worked in a yard I am super nervous about that prospect too regardless of location. Even though I have worked with horses all my life, what if its not up to industry standards but I guess that is something I will have to find out the tough way.

Everyone I hear that begins working with horses seems to be under 20, I am a bit past this though as I am 26 so I wonder could this hold me back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

emma-fly wrote:
    Everyone I hear that begins working with horses seems to be under 20, I am a bit past this though as I am 26 so I wonder could this hold me back too.

26 is definitely fine!

Advertisement