Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gameweek 4 Captain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Funkfield wrote: »
    So you're saying this is definitely triple captain week?

Definitely........?

Hahaha no. But it's captain week.

manual_man wrote: »
    Well we'll just agree to disagree. It comes across as aggressive and arrogant to me. No one knows the future, so i simply don't like the idea of saying outright to someone that what they're considering "is" a bad choice. There's no "is" at this point in time. Only possibility. Possibility for success. And possibility for failure. No more to say on the matter
    Post makes sense considering I've already conceded that anything can happen in football, but sure look, leave it. I don't come on here to argue with people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Funkfield wrote: »
    Agueros done feck all. I have him and...meh. really?

These two words do not belong together.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Th0mas Shelby

CSF wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with that. I think the quality of a choice is determined by the logic used rather than the end result.

It stands to reason that Aguero is likely to score more goals in 2 games than 1, and more goals against a defence that has been leaky than one that has been keeping clean sheets. The best choices are made using solid reasoning.

I don't mean to be harsh. I apologise if I was picked up that way but I don't think this forum works to its best if we can't distinguish between good and bad choices (although most are grey areas) without hurting people. I would want to know if people thought I was doing something mad.

I appreciate where you are coming from but if I played percentages each and every week with each call then I reckon I think I would finish with a high-to-average score over the course of a season. Nothing wrong with that of course but personally I want some more enjoyment and also hopefully finish with a high score so I am going for it. The last few weeks have been the most fun I've had playing Fantasy Football in years, I'm going to strike while the iron is hot before I invariably hit a bad patch fall outside the top 100k and the whole thing starts losing its enjoyment.

I do comprehend your sound logic also (i agree that 2 games is more than 1 game for example) and as I said, I have weighed all of this up as part of my choice. I didn't come on here to have everyone (or anyone even) agree with me but by God, I didn't expect to get responses as if I'm some sort of brain dead fool who has just triple captained Mario Balotelli!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

This is nuts. I've never read a forum with an atmosphere as helpful and friendly as this one. Does that mean we can't point out what we consider to be folly? Thomas I appreciate thatg you're on a roll and if you only come here to tell us what you are doing rather than seek debate or advice then that's fine, free country and all. Most if not all of us post here because we want to be high up on week 38. Whatever we say is with that in mind. Nobody ccalled you a fool, it's only a silly game but if your gonna spend time at it you might as well do it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I wouldn't agree with that. I think the quality of a choice is determined by the logic used rather than the end result.

It stands to reason that Aguero is likely to score more goals in 2 games than 1, and more goals against a defence that has been leaky than one that has been keeping clean sheets. The best choices are made using solid reasoning.

I don't mean to be harsh. I apologise if I was picked up that way but I don't think this forum works to its best if we can't distinguish between good and bad choices (although most are grey areas) without hurting people. I would want to know if people thought I was doing something mad.

I didn't mean you were being harsh to posters, just that calling it a bad decision was harsh....i.e it mightn't be the best decision but I don't think it's a bad one.

There are risks with holding it (TC) too.
    Aguero could get injured late in the season, City mightn't have a DGW, they don't have any real tasty home fixture in the title run in.

I wouldn't play it this week but let the bull at it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

PARlance wrote:
    I didn't mean you were being harsh to posters, just that calling it a bad decision was harsh....i.e it mightn't be the best decision but I don't think it's a bad one.

There are risks with holding it (TC) too. Aguero could get injured late in the season, City mightn't have a DGW, they don't have any real tasty home fixture in the title run in.

I wouldn't play it this week but let the bull at it

Hazard, Pedro and Sanchez are all decent triple captain alternatives if City don't have a dgw

... triple captained Mario Balotelli!!

Do you think he'll start? Tempted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

All the talk of 180 mins, I had to login to double check that this WASN'T a double gameweek

spock. wrote: »
    Hazard, Pedro and Sanchez are all decent triple captain alternatives if City don't have a dgw

A bit early to be throwing Pedro in there imo, but yes, there will be alternatives.
    Equally, Aguero in a single game could outscore all alternatives given 2 two. Who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Pfft, everyone knows the treble captain should be saved for a PVA DGW

PARlance wrote: »

There are risks with holding it (TC) too.
    Aguero could get injured late in the season, City mightn't have a DGW, they don't have any real tasty home fixture in the title run in.

I wouldn't play it this week but let the bull at it :)

Understood, I was probably a little bit over touchy having just been called aggressive and arrogant!!!

I get the risks but at the same time a DGW captain doesn't necessarily HAVE to be Aguero to be a better choice, but ideally it would. Aguero in a DGW is the daddy of captains, other big hitters is next, Aguero against a leaky defence probably comes next. After that is probably where this lies.

Don't get me wrong I expect Aguero to score this week. But let's say he does well and gets 2 and gets the bonus. 13 points, we'd consider that a good week, well I would. Then you compare the DGW player who plays both games, and only scores 1 in 1 of them but gets the 3 bonus. We'd consider that a bad haul probably from our captain. And yet it's 11 points. Only 2 points less than what we consider a good haul for Aguero this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I fear my comment re not captaining Aguero, because you dont have him, may have opened a big tin of worms.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

for gw4 last year I had dumped Costa sue to supposed injury and brought in and captained balotelli...........I think I'll just go aguero this year :D

This is nuts. I've never read a forum with an atmosphere as helpful and friendly as this one. Does that mean we can't point out what we consider to be folly? Thomas I appreciate thatg you're on a roll and if you only come here to tell us what you are doing rather than seek debate or advice then that's fine, free country and all. Most if not all of us post here because we want to be high up on week 38. Whatever we say is with that in mind. Nobody ccalled you a fool, it's only a silly game but if your gonna spend time at it you might as well do it right.

Seems very helpful and friendly alright!

I don't have any problem with people not agreeing with my choice. It's a thread on Gameweek 4 Captains and mine may be a little bit different to yours, doesn't make it any more or less valid. I'm taking a chance, I know that...but equally everyone is taking a chance with their new chips, nobody is right or wrong. A certain Roy Keane-Carlos Queiroz anecdote springs to mind when I read some of the responses here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

Excellent, looks like ill make up plenty of ground this week with Bentekkers as el capitano

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Yaya's going to get a hat trick in a 3-0 win all assisted by Sterling anyway so this will all be redundant soon enough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Seems very helpful and friendly alright!

I don't have any problem with people not agreeing with my choice. It's a thread on Gameweek 4 Captains and mine may be a little bit different to yours, doesn't make it any more or less valid. I'm taking a chance, I know that...but equally everyone is taking a chance with their new chips, nobody is right or wrong. A certain Roy Keane-Carlos Queiroz anecdote springs to mind when I read some of the responses here :D

Don't worry about always making safe plays. People probably just jumped because you said the goal is to get top 1000 now. That's all well and nice but it's a marathon not a sprint and we don't know the best time to play these chips since they're new. The common consensus is DGW since we've all seen what Suarez, Benteke, even Charlie Austin can do in one. If Aguero bags a hat trick this weekend, you'll look a genius (at least until he gets two hat tricks in DGW25 :P).

km79 wrote: »
    for gw4 last year I had dumped Costa sue to supposed injury and brought in and captained balotelli...........I think I'll just go aguero this year :D

You're some idiot!

(Personal joke folks, "my friend" did the same)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

In terms of single GW triple captain options for Aguero, Newcastle and Sunderland at home are too immediate ones that would be more attractive than Watford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭MarkSRFC21

Excellent, looks like ill make up plenty of ground this week with Bentekkers as el capitano

Or lose a huge amount by not captaining aguero

You're some idiot!

(Personal joke folks, "my friend" did the same)

that gameweek and those that shared my anguish are burnt in my memory :D
    anyone want to reopen El Tigre club ? No? OK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

SlickRic wrote: »
    In terms of single GW triple captain options for Aguero, Newcastle and Sunderland at home are too immediate ones that would be more attractive than Watford.

He likes to score against Spurs too!

Yaya's going to get a hat trick in a 3-0 win all assisted by Sterling anyway so this will all be redundant soon enough :(

Tbh, when I seen triple captaining a City Defender over normal captaincy for Aguero, I did immediately consider a triple captaincy for Yaya.

:D

MarkSRFC21 wrote: »
    Or lose a huge amount by not captaining aguero

Havent got him - would have to question his fitness at the moment, cant see him finishing 90 mins for a few weeks yet, plus Pool should outscore City this week, Watford are competitive, West Ham are tripe

• Advertisement

He likes to score against Spurs too!

Or does he just like to score against Gomes (now Watford)????

(Haven't check but I'm sure he was in goal for Spurs for some of the Aguero shows)

Argie vs a Brazilian...

Havent got him - would have to question his fitness at the moment, cant see him finishing 90 mins for a few weeks yet

Aguero in 80 minutes against Watford is plenty to rack up a big score. He's the best striker in the league against a newly promoted side. I would question why you don't have him tbh. Any serious player should really have had a plan to get him in in from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

SlickRic wrote: »

I wouldn't be so sure about Newcastle.

MarkSRFC21 wrote: »
    Aguero in 80 minutes against Watford is plenty to rack up a big score. He's the best striker in the league against a newly promoted side. I would question why you don't have him tbh. Any serious player should really have had a plan to get him in in from the start

Not this week anyways - if its not broken then dont fix it - Gomis, Lukaku and Benteke have outscored Aguero so far. for 5-6m less too - which allows for cash to be dispersed in other areas

Aguero is the obvious choice, but then if he does fail to hit the target, alot of the differentials will make up ground.

• Advertisement

Tbh aguero is capable of getting a big score against every team in the league, and aguero with two fixtures is imo the best triple captain shout, regardless of who the two fixtures are against. While he may explode against the likes of Watford/Sunderland/Newcastle etc, surely the most logical choice is when he has two games, and two chances to potentially explode. Obviously, he may get injured or may not have a dgw, but I think it's definitely worth waiting for. Even if he doesn't have a dgw, there will definitely be at least one big hitter that will have one, and I think it's best to hold off with the chip for the moment. Obviously, everyone is new to chips and we can't be 100% sure as to how to use them best, but surely it's best to wait a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

(Haven't check but I'm sure he was in goal for Spurs for some of the Aguero shows)

Argie vs a Brazilian...

Four against them last year (Lloris). I think his averages 1.5 goals against them apparently.

Not this week anyways - if its not broken then dont fix it - Gomis, Lukaku and Benteke have outscored Aguero so far. for 5-6m less too - which allows for cash to be dispersed in other areas

Do you honestly believe that lukaku is going to out score aguero over the next few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭yozico

Nice one :)
    Have three of those guys and no aguero. Hazard it is!

Bentekkers triple captain - Aguero subbed at 30 mins with dodgy hammy :pac::pac::pac:

Argie vs a Brazilian...

...or just against Watford. Hattrick in 2014 FA Cup tie!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

I appreciate where you are coming from but if I played percentages each and every week with each call then I reckon I think I would finish with a high-to-average score over the course of a season. Nothing wrong with that of course but personally I want some more enjoyment and also hopefully finish with a high score so I am going for it. The last few weeks have been the most fun I've had playing Fantasy Football in years, I'm going to strike while the iron is hot before I invariably hit a bad patch fall outside the top 100k and the whole thing starts losing its enjoyment.

I do comprehend your sound logic also (i agree that 2 games is more than 1 game for example) and as I said, I have weighed all of this up as part of my choice. I didn't come on here to have everyone (or anyone even) agree with me but by God, I didn't expect to get responses as if I'm some sort of brain dead fool who has just triple captained Mario Balotelli!!

I'm not going to enter this debate now but just a quick comment about the bold part. Why would you fall outside 100k? There's no fatality. When I discovered this game (2010-11) I entered at GW11, didn't have a look at the rules, didn't build a FPL team (more a "real" team), wasted my WC (only did 1 transfer :o didn't know they were unlimited, again hadn't read the rules :rolleyes:). Then I discovered this forum (well the old single super-mega-thread in the Soccer forum). Immediate effect :eek:! Entered a boards return games free & fun league. Finished around top5 in it, almost won the GW11 one and since I'm on 4 consecutive top 20k finishes (including 2 top 10k, 1 of them being just shy of top 1k).
    I don't know if I'm a good player but if I play "seriously" let's try reaching the top. What I do know though is this forum is a FPL encyclopaedia. I now actually know better the PL players than the ones from my domestic league (I must be one of the only Frenchie to rate Stoke or West Brom... because you know they keep CSs!!! :pac:).

So, even if you do make some choices we would consider here "wild" there's no reason for a >100k finish. I think Busts likes to go against the crowd and is not the last for a captain punt and you'd want to drop a 0 to match his finishes ;).

Discussion is our raison d'être (hope I got that right Iroced :P)
    Tout à fait Monsieur Prodston :D.

I chose Aguero, but now getting really tempted by Mahrez for the differential...

Must... Re...sist...

I chose Aguero, but now getting really tempted by Mahrez for the differential...

Must... Re...sist...

Don't do it, let the rest be the ones needing the differentials when you go so far ahead!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Going to take a gamble and go for Mitrovic from Newcastle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I've no Kun so Pedro it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Panthro wrote: »

Jesus.

Best of luck! :pac:

Please Kun...please.
    Have a bad day at the office.
    For me....

Get sent off!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

Mother of Christ!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Nice one

Mother of Christ!!!!!!!

yikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Mother of Christ!!!!!!!

Ah I assumed you were just messing. Ul

Panthro wrote: »

Well boys....
    He who dares.....

Shyts pebbles for 90 minutes.:o:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

spock. wrote:
    Kolarov(c) is so tempting

Damn you Aguero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

If you look at the odds even Aguero is 4/11 to score Man City are evens for a clean sheet. That's a big disparity.

Aguero is 11/2 for a hattrick. Kolarov is 11/2 for a goal.

Now if you disagree with those odds you're right to go with your own opinion rather than that of a bookmaker but I think you're playing with fire and are likely to get burnt.

Was risky but turned out to be the right call.

Advertisement