Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MEDION AKOYA S2218 Notebook 11.6 - In Aldi tomorrow. Good value?

• 25-08-2015 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi.

I'm looking to spend max €250 on a compact laptop/cloudbook.

How does the spec below from tomorrow's Aldi special look?

Or can you recommend an alternative?

Thanks in advance.

Intel® Atom™ Z3735F processor and Intel® HD graphics (1.33 GHz up to 1.83 GHz, 2MB Cache)
    29.5cm/11.6" Full HD display with IPS technology and a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels
    32GB flash memory
    2GB memory
    High-Definition-Audio with 2 loudspeakers. Dolby® Advanced AudioTM certified
    Wireless LAN with integrated Bluetooth® 4.0 function. Fast Wireless LAN IEEE 802.11 b/g/n-standard technology
    Integrated webcam and microphone
    Digital HDMI® audio/video out
    Long battery life up to 9 hours (depending on usage behaviour)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

The atom is a bit on the slow side, its not bad or anything, fine for surfing or light apps, but my preference at the moment is a dual core celeron, like the one in this machine, stick a ssd and you are laughing. I can't find any 11.6" machines unfortunately.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/m/p/1665900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It all depends on what you want to use it for tbh. The 1080p screen is definitely a surprising inclusion at the price point. But that being said, all laptops should come with that resolution these days anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's actually pretty good considering the screen is 1080P, which is a huge plus. Major drawback would be the tiny storage.

The Lenovo linked above has a better processor has a 10x bigger hard drive though for an extra 20 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bucketistaken

Hi, might be a bit late to help but I bought this laptop this morning. I am very happy with it but I feel really bad for taking the last one in stock, in fact the one I got was under one of the checkout assistant's desk and she happened to be behind me in the queue when I asked if they had any in stock and she volunteered the location of the remaining one. It didn't cross my mind that she had left it there for herself. I wish I could make amends!

Anyway, hopefully Aldi will carry more of these or do another run in future. It is surprisingly sturdy, no unwanted flexing or creaking plastic and the hardware is quite adequate, the main restriction I have found so far is the size of the SSD but that is easily managed with external media. You must also be careful with the screen, its range of motion is shorter than some laptops and is a bit delicate.

At first the touchpad was not responding to any of the gestures detailed in the manual but that was easily solved by finding the driver on Medion's website by searching for s2218 drivers. I think the one I installed said it was for Windows 8 but it worked fine. I would link but I'm a new member so not allowed.

If the lady I thoughtlessly snatched this laptop from ends up reading, then I hope you can manage to find a replacement.

Advertisement