Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why can't sellers post milage on car adverts

Options
  • 25-08-2015 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Why cant sellers post mileage on car adverts when they are selling cars. It drives me mad cause either way a person will find out the mileage when they ask on phone or actually go see the car, so they will see the mileage before the car is sold, so why not post the mileage when advertising the car :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

1. People are dumb.
    2. Mileage is high
    3. People are dumb.
    4. Car is clocked
    5. People are dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

by not posting the mileage, they are inadvertently posting the mileage by letting you know that it is in their mind excessively high by omission of the fact.

you could argue it's not something people look at every day, but every car owner should be able to throw at least a ballpark at what mileage their car has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

i just dont get it cause either way your gonna find out so why not just say

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

i just dont get it cause either way your gonna find out so why not just say

It's because the mileage is high. If it were low then it would be highlighted as s selling point. They hope people will ring/call to see the car and judge it on condition/drive and not discount it on mileage alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

1. People are dumb.
    2. Mileage is high
    3. People are dumb.
    4. Car is clocked
    5. People are dumb.

Also people are dumb

• Advertisement

should be mandatory anyway, i wont even look at an advert with no mileage. I know its high and not posting it for a reason but by not posting it most people will know its high anyway. Its just a little annoying that's all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Treat it like POA from dealer adverts, ignore and move on to the next one.

bazz26 wrote: »

there is a dealer here where im from and he doesnt put prices up on cars online, just POA

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

1. People are dumb.
    2. Mileage is high
    3. People are dumb.
    4. Car is clocked
    5. People are dumb.

1. People are dumb.
    2. Mileage is high
    3. People are dumb.
    4. Car is clocked
    5. People are dumb
    6. after spending so much time blurring out their german reg plates, they forgot :p

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

bazz26 wrote: »

What's the point of POA car adverts? It's not like they're trying to sell Bono's holiday home or something and it's POA for privacy reasons!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭9935452

Why cant sellers post mileage on car adverts when they are selling cars. It drives me mad cause either way a person will find out the mileage when they ask on phone or actually go see the car, so they will see the mileage before the car is sold, so why not post the mileage when advertising the car :mad:

That annoys me too, the same as lads saying mileage low for year , or far a tractor , good condition for year .
    It also annoys me with lads selling cars on the side of the road with a for sale sign and no price

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I find lads who are selling cars that put up the bhp of the car.
    Eg:
    altezza for sale.
    Mint condition. No NCT but needs nothing. Small scratch on rear bumper and needs a wheel bearing ( defeats the purpose of a mint car btw)
    220bhp. Absolute beast. First to see will buy ( eh no they won't)
    Cash is king. 3500

Them ads pîss me off big time. Yeah car may have been 220bhp when it left the factory in Japan but plenty of them ponies have escaped since then. Be lucky if half are even 180.

Eg:
    altezza for sale.
    Mint condition. No NCT but needs nothing. Small scratch on rear bumper and needs a wheel bearing ( defeats the purpose of a mint car btw)
    Cash is king. 3500

Them ads pîss me off big time. Yeah car may have been 220bhp when it left the factory in Japan but plenty of them ponies have escaped since then. Be lucky if half are even 180.

One lady owner ( + 3 male owners who rallied the car )

9935452 wrote: »
    One lady owner ( + 3 male owners who rallied the car )

they also say car owned by elderly person... who probably has the clutch destroyed

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

I usually skip all with no mileage or price, "contact me for price" :rolleyes: No thanks

Pet peeve #1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Eg:
    altezza for sale.
    Cash is king. 3500

Not necessarily, some cars have very conservative BHP factory figure and others have official figures that are ambitious at best.

I'm not sure where this idea comes from that you lose "loads" of ponies as the years/mileage go on. 1-2bhp maybe but my 1.9TDI made 4 more BHP on a Dyno than factory quoted figures (after 10 years and over 100k miles) and my previous GTI made nearly 10 BHP more than quoted factory figure (8yrs old 90k miles at the time)

what does annoy me though is when they state it has 20 extra BHP because of an induction kit or Halfords air filter! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

durtybit wrote: »
    I usually skip all with no mileage or price, "contact me for price" :rolleyes: No thanks

Pet peeve #1

Me too,
    Also found let's say they put 120000kms and its ends up being miles!

ION08 wrote: »
    Not necessarily, some cars have very conservative BHP factory figure and others have official figures that are ambitious at best.

I'm not sure where this idea comes from that you lose "loads" of ponies as the years/mileage go on. 1-2bhp maybe but my 1.9TDI made 4 more BHP on a Dyno than factory quoted figures (after 10 years and over 100k miles) and my previous GTI made nearly 10 BHP more than quoted factory figure (8yrs old 90k miles at the time)

what does annoy me though is when they state it has 20 extra BHP because of an induction kit or Halfords air filter! :rolleyes:

Yeah engines leave the factory at a set BHP but loosen up over time .
    This seems to happen more with diesel engines.
    Car mechanics the magazine had a gttdi golf 115bhp golf that they wanted to chip at one stage , so they put the car onto the dyno before they chipped it 138bhp is what she was putting out . They never bothered chipping it.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

they also say car owned by elderly person... who probably has the clutch destroyed

The place I used to work was in a shopping centre in an 'elderly' area of south dublin (I referred to it as God's waiting room). Most days on lunch when I was walking around to get a sandwich I'd hear the roaring noise of an engine, and see some old dear trying to reverse out of a parking spot. You'd actually smell burning a lot of the time. Other times you'd see them trying to pull into or out of a spot and just completely sideswipe the car beside them, not even stop, and just continue on either going to do their shopping or else driving off. It was almost like a lot of them weren't even aware of what they'd just done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭umop apisdn

Toots wrote: »
    What's the point of POA car adverts? It's not like they're trying to sell Bono's holiday home or something and it's POA for privacy reasons!

It's a throwback to the pre internet days, where the selection of cars was small, and people had all day to haggle with just a few local dealers, who weren't really sure how high a price they would get away with chancing their arm on. Now the smart dealers advertise the car at almost on their final asking price to get the national search hits and national interest up, and take very little off when the punter comes calling, often from all parts of the country. Things have changed, some lads just haven't caught up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement