Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small upgrades to Dell Laptop

Options
  • 25-08-2015 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

Hi boffins!

So, I have an Inspiron laptop, pretty decent spec but needs a boost.

CPU - Core i7 1.6Ghz
    RAM - 2x2048GB DDR3 @1333Mhz
    Graphics - 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD5470

Would I be right in thinking that I can upgrade the RAM pretty easily, as long as it is DDR3? Is there a limit to what GB I can use on two slots?
    Also, is the graphics card upgradable, since I don't think it's integrated, or will it be limited by the CPU?

Thanks!! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

The ram would depend on the model of laptop as different ones have different limits and you would also need low profile laptop memory to fit if it is capable of 2x4.

Graphics card should be upgradable but will be heavily limited by space again dependant on model of laptop.

What model is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Skykes

As Ant said, it really depends on the model. What generation of I7 is that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

get an ssd for it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

It's actually a Dell Studio 1558 (not sure if that's a rebranding of the Inspiron), as seen here -

http://www.alphr.com/dell/dell-studio-1558/30831/dell-studio-1558-review

CPU is Intel i7-720QM...

It can take 8gb of ram so yes you could put in 2x4.
    You could add an ssd.

Regarding the graphics card they are soldered onto motherboard on that model so it would mean a new motherboard as well which would cost more than it's worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

It's a first gen i7 I believe? It's not that food a spec at this stage

RAM won't make a **** of difference for regular usage, an SSD is probably the best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

It's a first gen i7 I believe? It's not that good a spec at this stage

RAM won't make a **** of difference for regular usage, an SSD is probably the best bet

Thanks a lot. So does that mean replacing the Hard Drive completely?
    The upsides are starting to shorten...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Yeah, you can buy a caddy to use the old one as an external drive if you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭catsbanter

If it was me I'd get a 4gb stick of ram and a SSD but unsure myself will you get full speeds with the ssd in that 1st gen model.

I don't think you could fit an ssd in along with a hdd. Also having read on some of the dell forums the difference might not be as dramtic as you'd expect with an older sata connection on the motherboard than on the ssd the ssd will be limited in the speed it can achieve.

You would just clone the hdd to ssd and then you could make it an external for backup like digital said.

• Advertisement
Advertisement