Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unkempt water body in Custom House Harbor

Options
  • 25-08-2015 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hiya Fellas,

I am new to this forum. A particular issue has been bothering me for a while now but I do not know whom to approach for a solution, so thought of getting your views.

I live in a rented apartment in Custom House Harbor. The society is good but the water body around it has very dirty water. You can not even think of sitting in your balcony overlooking that water. Its just yuck. It smells bad too. It poses a serious health threat. I am not sure who is responsible to maintain it.

If you can guide me whom should I talk to, to get it cleaned, it would be great.

Many thanks.

Cheers
    ru003sh.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Harbour master?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ru003sh

Yes, the water body between harbor master and custom house harbor apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

ru003sh wrote:
    Yes, the water body between harbor master and custom house harbor apartments.

It's not just a clever name.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What serious health risk does it pose? Your hardly planning on bathing in it .

Hi yabadabado,

I joined this group thinking that some sensible people would be around to help ,looks like this is more of "timepass" kind of place :).

I definitely don't plan to bath in it but the stagnant water is quite dirty and is a good breeding place for flies which poses to be a health issue. I would be greatful if you can give some helpful information about who can help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Ru003sh please read the forum charter which is in a sticky on the front page of accommodation and property. Being civil towards other posters is a basic requirement.

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,738 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

ru003sh wrote:
    I would be greatful if you can give some helpful information about who can help.

You were - contact the Harbour Master. That's an actual person/office, you do realise, not just a pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

The office of the Harbour Master as others have suggested.
    Or maybe the Dublin Docklands Authority: http://www.dublindocklands.ie/

Thanks for your inputs, I will try both these options and sorry if you found my response 'uncivil'.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

ru003sh wrote: »

I live in a rented apartment in Custom House Harbor.

Are these the apartments that are sitting in the dock itself? If they are, you might be also able to try the management agent for the complex.

Reg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the Docklands Authority (DDDA) is being dissolved - you might be better off talking to Dublin City Council, or the IFSC authority. I work near there, can't say I've noticed the inner dock being that bad (not that I'd want to swim in it though). The Outer dock where they hold the markets can be a whiffy when the water is drained off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is a pity that the water is as bad as people claim. This is a great amenity for everyone, not just renters nearby.

Looks like an inlet of the Liffey, and it may become stagnant now and again, depending on whether it is controlled by the river tides like the Liffey is.

I hope something is done soon.

OP, you are quite right to question this. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The water body is known as the 'Inner Dock', the other one is 'George's Dock. They were part of the excise yards associated with the Customs House.

Your first port of call(!) should be whoever is managing the apartments. If they don't control the water, they will know who does.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,343 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The DDDA is the responsible body. It continues in existence and it should be the first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

ru003sh wrote: »
    Thanks for your inputs, I will try both these options and sorry if you found my response 'uncivil'.

Regards
    How did you get on ru003sh?

Advertisement