Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Degree?

Options
  • 25-08-2015 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm going into Leaving Cert in the next couple of days and I have started seriously thinking of what I want to study afterwards.

I've been thinking something along the lines of business because I'm very analytically/logically minded and my business teacher suggested it but what exactly I don't know.

I hope to get relatively high point, but I am doing OL maths so that might rule out certain courses.

Ultimately I want a degree that can lead to a career with some authority where my input/decision makes a difference.
    I've been told regular commerce degrees etc are not held to a high regard as they are so common.

Any Ideas/suggestions on courses?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Midkemia

TheBiz wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm going into Leaving Cert in the next couple of days and I have started seriously thinking of what I want to study afterwards.

I've been thinking something along the lines of business because I'm very analytically/logically minded and my business teacher suggested it but what exactly I don't know.

I hope to get relatively high point, but I am doing OL maths so that might rule out certain courses.

Ultimately I want a degree that can lead to a career with some authority where my input/decision makes a difference.
    I've been told regular commerce degrees etc are not held to a high regard as they are so common.

Any Ideas/suggestions on courses?
    Thanks

Do business with a language and you'll automatically differentiate yourself from the majority of business graduates. You have to be prepared to go on Erasmus and do your work experience abroad to become fully fluent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

I should also add languages aren't my cup of tea. Not to mention the vast majority of graduates seem to have a language but surely there is something else that could set me apart (in a good way!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

A business with management degree, perhaps?

I was looking into that actually, seems interesting. Any suggestions on where to go? I know NUIM has business and management course.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Any suggestions on where to go?

The website of the respective institutions? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Yes NUIM have good bus & management as well as DIT as far as I know.
    Make sure to do something along with business is what I have been consistently told.
    I'm starting Law & Bus in Trinity in a few weeks - like that I wanted to do bus but wasn't sure what route to go down. Law has excellent career routes and both actually complement each other really well. UCD do a similar well regarded course.
    You could always consider computer science and business too - very good job prospects out there at the min. MSISS is a very good degree if you were any way interested in IT.
    Also check out BESS in Trinity - good solid degree, lots of options. Definitely way better than the standard BComm degree.

Best of luck with your decision. Remember that there are lots of other courses with business aspects e.g. Dairy business and some of the engineering courses have management modules!

d1234 wrote: »
    Yes NUIM have good bus & management as well as DIT as far as I know.
    Make sure to do something along with business is what I have been consistently told.
    I'm starting Law & Bus in Trinity in a few weeks - like that I wanted to do bus but wasn't sure what route to go down. Law has excellent career routes and both actually complement each other really well. UCD do a similar well regarded course.
    You could always consider computer science and business too - very good job prospects out there at the min. MSISS is a very good degree if you were any way interested in IT.
    Also check out BESS in Trinity - good solid degree, lots of options. Definitely way better than the standard BComm degree.

Best of luck with your decision. Remember that there are lots of other courses with business aspects e.g. Dairy business and some of the engineering courses have management modules!

Thanks for the reply!
    The main issue for me for me now is if I'll be at a disadvantage compare to other graduates if I don't do a language.
    Everyone seems to be doing a language so I'd essentially be less hireable then those with a language

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Thanks for the reply!
    The main issue for me for me now is if I'll be at a disadvantage compare to other graduates if I don't do a language.
    Everyone seems to be doing a language so I'd essentially be less hireable then those with a language

I really don't think so. For instance with my course I've chosen to study French modules as part of my course instead of maths. Also, most uni's allow you to take part in extra language courses if you want (there may be a fee attached). In UCD they run a horizons program which is an excellent idea - you can study modules which are separate from the course you choose. You could always brush up your language skills on your own for instance attend the Alliance Francaise and do a course there or join a language society at college. Don't rule out an erasmus year abroad!

I forgot to mention the global business degree in DCU. It's very popular and worth checking out!

Advertisement