Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two pub-related questions...

Options
  • 25-08-2015 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭

1. Looks like Campion's on the Malahide Rd by the Balgriffin cemetery has closed. Anyone know what the story is?

2. My father-in-law always referred to O'Dwyer's Golf Links Inn in Portmarnock as "The Widow's". He wasn't sure why, and it has always intrigued me. Is it a previous name for the pub, or is it a nickname based on there once being an actual widow as owner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

1. Looks like Campion's on the Malahide Rd by the Balgriffin cemetery has closed. Anyone know what the story is?

2. My father-in-law always referred to O'Dwyer's Golf Links Inn in Portmarnock as "The Widow's". He wasn't sure why, and it has always intrigued me. Is it a previous name for the pub, or is it a nickname based on there once being an actual widow as owner?

Campions closed a while ago. I'd guess late last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Tilly wrote: »

Yeah, I saw that. Not much more there than my father-in-law knew!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

I always refer to it as the Widows aswell. Don't know why though as I think it was always called the Golf links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I always refer to it as the Widows aswell. Don't know why though as I think it was always called the Golf links.

Maybe the "Golf Links" is a bit of a naff name. Even for golf enthusiasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

Just speculating here but I wonder would it be to do with the whole "Golf widow" thing? Particularly as Portmarnock famously have male only membership..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Its nickname is due to the fact that a widow own's the place.Her husband passed away in the early '70's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Its nickname is due to the fact that a widow own's the place.Her husband passed away in the early '70's.

This is the correct answer. The widow owns the, her two sons run the place mainly. The widow lives above the pub still to the best of my knowledge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

Yes she does and makes the occasional appearance !

The pub and Restaurant could be run much better and have great potential for a go ahead non greedy customer focussed publican.

But we all know that particular species just doesn't exist.!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

...non greedy customer focussed publican.

But we all know that particular species just doesn't exist.!
    You're frequenting the wrong pubs then.

• Advertisement

Well maybe there are some down in the Dingle Peninsula Billy but I would find the 300km drive a tad ...uh..long ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's not always that simple particularly if you frequent a particular pub to enjoy the company of people who also frequent it.

(I know this sounds a bit strange but I find some 'customer focused' pubs to be a bit contrived and off-putting).

There's plenty of pubs in the North County run by decent vintners who value their customers. Don't tar all publicans with the one brush just because you don't drink in any of them.

There's plenty of pubs in the North County run by decent vintners who value their customers. Don't tar all publicans with the one brush just because you don't drink in any of them.

Throw us out a few names then Bud ..if you can ?

In Skerries I'd recommend Nealon's, Ollie's Place/The Snug, The Gladstone, The Bus Bar, & then in Balrothery there's The Balrothery Inn.

In Skerries I'd recommend Nealon's, Ollie's Place/The Snug, The Gladstone, The Bus Bar, & then in Balrothery there's The Balrothery Inn.

Thanks Billy...but as I don't live anywhere near these establishments I can't drink in them.!

But I will happily take your word for it...I have had the occasional drink in The Blue bar down near the harbour and found it Ok if a bit pricey .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Richard in the Bus Bar was always one of nature's gentlemen. Knew the kind of customers he wanted, the kind of atmosphere they liked and pointed the more unruly elements to other pubs in the vicinity. Gently of course.

I see him around the town occasionally, but I'm assuming that he's no longer running the pub. Who's at the helm now? Still one of the Keanes?

Richard is still behind the bar - just not as often. He lets the younger folk do the hard work these days. :)

Advertisement