Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening woodwork course, Co. Kerry?

Options
  • 25-08-2015 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm thinking of doing an evening introductory course to woodwork (hands on) in the evenings. After several projects of 'figuring things out', I think learning properly would be worth while :) I work fulltime and have a little baby so was hoping to do an evening course in Tralee or Killarney BUT cannot locate one running or planned for the near future!

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions please? Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Try them, they may be able to guide you in the right direction

http://killarneymensshed.weebly.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Thanks for that, I'll ask them - just a side note, I'm a female and wonder if that excludes me from the whole "men's shed " area! Might be a chap there who will know about evening courses, men's shed only runs until 4pm.

Any other suggestions ??

siblers wrote: »
    Try them, they may be able to guide you in the right direction

http://killarneymensshed.weebly.com/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Plek Trum wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I'll ask them - just a side note, I'm a female and wonder if that excludes me from the whole "men's shed " area! Might be a chap there who will know about evening courses, men's shed only runs until 4pm.

Any other suggestions ??

there are always evening classes on in Tralee from September. They are usually on in the old tech school in Clash. I can't seem to find info on it though. If anyone else knows hopefully they will post up. I'll check it out in the meantime.

Thanks for that, I'll keep an eye on things and oneline, I imagine they will be published soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Hi
    I have being looking for something similar but have not found anything on the Adult Education sites.
    The nearest I found was this but regretfully it is too far from home to attend

http://www.castlegregorykerry.com/component/mtree/arts-and-crafts/57-goose-island-workshop.html?Itemid=

• Advertisement

Thnaks for that - I actually know his work, beautiful seats and chairs. However Im looking more for hands on basics with woodwork - to begin with anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭phormium

Is the winter timetable of night classes out yet? There used to be basic woodwork classes on over the years as I often intended to do one but it just never suited so gave up and ploughed on myself.

I know online is great but you can't beat a good book and I loved the Readers Digest DIY book, loads of info great way to learn about types of wood etc and other diy stuff, it was my bible in the early pre internet days, I still refer to it. Don't know if it is still in print, library might have it, definitely worth a look if you have to teach yourself.

phormium wrote: »
    Is the winter timetable of night classes out yet? There used to be basic woodwork classes on over the years as I often intended to do one but it just never suited so gave up and ploughed on myself.

I know online is great but you can't beat a good book and I loved the Readers Digest DIY book, loads of info great way to learn about types of wood etc and other diy stuff, it was my bible in the early pre internet days, I still refer to it. Don't know if it is still in print, library might have it, definitely worth a look if you have to teach yourself.

I might have to add the book to my suggestions list for my birthday haha! Thanks for the tip :) I don't think the winter courses are out just yet, will be keeping an eye out . Tralee will be a 45 minute drive for me so I'd want to be dedicated - fingers crossed I'll find the course, really want to learn !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I'd be interested in this too and I'm a female aswell op!

*follows thread*

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MissyB71

Dito.looking for exactly the same thing. following thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭phormium

The best thing so is for everyone that is interested to contact the local school or whatever offers night classes in your area, if there is demand for something there is some chance they will try put one on.

Advertisement