Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Purchasing house I rent from Landlord directly - HELP!

Options
  • 25-08-2015 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all,

Am hoping that someone in the know could help me out with some advice on negotiating with my landlord. They advised us about 3 weeks ago that they were selling the house we live in currently. We've always loved this house and have dreamt of buying it and now we have the chance!

The problem is that the valuation that the landlord has communicated to us is way off what we thought it would be and I want to be able to negotiate the best deal for us.

Originally, the landlord had given us a guide price of 360k as another house in the estate had sold for this in February of this year. I reviewed this property and noted that there were some key differences between that and 'our' house that should bring the price down e.g. bigger floor space, extra bedroom (3 bed instead of 2), end of terrace as opposed to mid-terrace, higher spec bathroom and kitchen. I was confident that the valuation for 'our' house would be much lower than this.

However, the landlord told us last week that the estate agent recommended that they list the house for 320k 'to get people in the door' but that they would expect the house to go for no less than 400k. 400K!!!! Now, obviously they are going to overstate as they want to get the highest price possible but that is a 25% spread - is there any agent out there that is that unscrupulous that they would advise them of that?? Is this realistic given that the market has levelled off again?

We got an independent valuer in and he has valued the property at approx 335-340k but I want to be able to negotiate this in the best way without pissing them off and losing the opportunity of a private sale.

Would really appreciate some good advice here!

Thanks Boards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bizleads

Given market conditions at the moment you wont get your price.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Oeufmerf

Thanks Bizleads - sorry do you mean the landlord won't get the 400k or they won't accept my offer of 340k?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

bizleads wrote: »
    Given market conditions at the moment you wont get your price.
    <mod snip>

To the op. What I would first do is say Your valuer has valued it at 340k so your making bid based off that.

If the landlord thinks he can get an extra 80k from his advertised price he will prob want to check the market again. Unless it's a cash buyer he will be struggling as market is still largely made up of cash buyers with mortgages hard to get in addition to a very uncertain / falling market

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

If you genuinely think the place is worth €340k, and it's asking price is €320k, then there should be no problem. If you're worried that someone might pay more than that, then you've a problem - the landlord is obviously going to go for the biggest offer, and no amount of negotiating on what the house hasn't got, is going to change that reality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭mayway

400K for a 2 bed mid-terrace house? Sounds rather excessive. If the end of terrace was 360k in Feb and it was bigger with a 3rd bedroom then I can't see how a price tag of 400K can be justified.

There's some things to bear in mind though. If the last house sold quickly then there might be people waiting to buy another one. It really depends on where it is as well.

Come up with a price that you think it's worth and add on a premium that you're willing to pay to get the house based on how badly you want it and where it is. It has to be price that you won't regret paying should you get it. Once you have the number then offer to the landlord.

It's as simple as that really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

Also the landlord may have got a few quotes of which some were more realistic but they may be blindly going with the big figure regardless!

i think hes saying it will go for nearer 400k,

roughly where is the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

It pretty standard practice by the estate agent. Maybe he wants the business and is telling the landlord that he can get the high price so that the landlord will go with him, maybe the estate agent actually believes that he can get that price.

realistically if the house goes on the open market then you will see what people are willing to pay for it. That is the only arbiter of the real price.

Why do you want a private sale?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭mayway

<snip>

To the op. What I would first do is say Your valuer has valued it at 340k so your making bid based off that.

If the landlord thinks he can get an extra 80k from his advertised price he will prob want to check the market again. Unless it's a cash buyer he will be struggling as market is still largely made up of cash buyers with mortgages hard to get in addition to a very uncertain / falling market

Hmmm. If their valuer has told them 400K then they're just going to think you're trying to game them by saying your value said 340K. At the end of the day, estate agents are only guessing. I've lost count of the number of time that different estate agents have given me different values. Just pick the number you're comfortable with and go with that. It doesn't matter what the EAs say, what matters is how much money actually gets offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Oeufmerf wrote: »
    Hi all,

Am hoping that someone in the know could help me out with some advice on negotiating with my landlord. They advised us about 3 weeks ago that they were selling the house we live in currently. We've always loved this house and have dreamt of buying it and now we have the chance!

The problem is that the valuation that the landlord has communicated to us is way off what we thought it would be and I want to be able to negotiate the best deal for us.

Originally, the landlord had given us a guide price of 360k as another house in the estate had sold for this in February of this year. I reviewed this property and noted that there were some key differences between that and 'our' house that should bring the price down e.g. bigger floor space, extra bedroom (3 bed instead of 2), end of terrace as opposed to mid-terrace, higher spec bathroom and kitchen. I was confident that the valuation for 'our' house would be much lower than this.

However, the landlord told us last week that the estate agent recommended that they list the house for 320k 'to get people in the door' but that they would expect the house to go for no less than 400k. 400K!!!! Now, obviously they are going to overstate as they want to get the highest price possible but that is a 25% spread - is there any agent out there that is that unscrupulous that they would advise them of that?? Is this realistic given that the market has levelled off again?

We got an independent valuer in and he has valued the property at approx 335-340k but I want to be able to negotiate this in the best way without pissing them off and losing the opportunity of a private sale.

Would really appreciate some good advice here!

Thanks Boards

The problem is that the house is worth what the market dictates it will go for. So you need to choose a figure and stick to it. If the owner doesn't accept your price then just be willing to walk away.

It's very easy to get emotional about houses, particularly given that you live there already. The main thing is that there will always be another house which might be nicer, better value etc.

Agents, while frequently dodgy, are out to get the best price for their client. So the idea of listing at 320K with a view of it going for 400K might work. Once again, it depends on the market.

What is in your favour is that you are familiar with the area (in terms of what houses like yours are worth), could complete on a sale quickly and could save the owner estate agent fees. So I would do some research on the area and make your offer highlighting those points to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I'd say that it's not a matter of what the landlord wants but what the market will pay. Obviously 400k is away with the fairies money, but someone could easily push it up above your valued amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How well do you get on with your landlord?
    What you could offer is that the puts it on the open market. and that once he gets a price that he is happy with , you then have the option of buying it at that price.

Thanks all. The house is in Dublin 8. Genuinely, I don't believe it is worth 400k!

In terms of the private sale - I just thought that might be another negotiating point e.g. the landlord does not have to pay EA fees...

I'm sure it's obvious that I am a first time buyer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Thanks all. The house is in Dublin 8. Genuinely, I don't believe it is worth 400k!

In terms of the private sale - I just thought that might be another negotiating point e.g. the landlord does not have to pay EA fees...

Just to be clear, you are able to afford the mortgage for the property right? You'll need a combined income of 80k and a deposit of 42k to qualify for the new mortgage rules for 320k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭westcoast66

This happened to us and it turned out very nasty in the end.

We asked the landlord if we would sell, he agreed and then we said, just get it valued and we'll see where we are.

The EA who valued it, of course persuaded him to put it on the market. Now, there was a bidding war and we ended up as the highest bidder. The EA then persuaded the vendor to sell to the underbidder (ie their bidder) as they were a 'better buyer'.

It kills us to this day as we then had to move out into a sub standard property, half the size across the road. (We need to be in the area for other reasons).

@Michael D Not Higgins Yes, mortgage approval is in place

@westcoast66 That's awful... The problem is as someone else said that there is a lot of emotion involved. I am dreading this whole process!

Actually I should have added that I have already communicated to the landlord that we are not willing to pay 400k and they asked us to come back with an offer.

Actually I should have added that I have already communicated to the landlord that we are not willing to pay 400k and they asked us to come back with an offer.

Have you gotten an independent valuation? If not, that'd be the first port of call.

@Maryanne84 Yes, we have. The independent valuer gave us a valuation of between 330k - 340k.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

@westcoast66 That's awful... The problem is as someone else said that there is a lot of emotion involved. I am dreading this whole process!

Dont dread it, then it becomes a big emotional problem.

Get stuck into the process, be confident and try and see it as a business deal.

I have bought and sold a few houses, the first was a night mare because of my emotions. The other ones were fine because I saw it as a business deal even though they were houses I was going to live in.

Be pro active , you can only do your best and only offer what you can.

@Maryanne84 Yes, we have. The independent valuer gave us a valuation of between 330k - 340k.

Then this is the value you should stick with. Make an offer and leave it with them with the request that they come back to you if they get a firm higher offer.

If you offer €340k directly (outside the EA marketing), it's probably worth an extra six or seven grand to the vendor, compared to the same offer through the EA, so you could use that as a negotiating point - it's only 13 grand short of the €360 that they'd be happy with (€400k sounds very aspirational).

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bizleads

What I meant is that you will not get 340 - the price that you want to pay. One of the reasons is that he is thinking of getting around 400k unless he is professional investor and you are in good terms, he might go for a quick sale. Also you have to persuade him not to go to open market because he might get fake bids and will be in control of his EA agent who wants to get his commission. All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

OP I know you are hoping to go through the process without an EA but maybe it might be easier on yourself if you use one. When we were buying the house we were renting, we didn't use an EA initially - it was a combination of an employee of the professional landlord and the letting agent. It was disastrous. We had our price which we were willing to pay, they just came back and said no we won't accept that price. No negotiations, no counter price their side, it was like we just had to keep guessing until they said yeah ok. When the property was taken over by a receiver, they appointed an EA and she was actually a great help and was more impartial than our previous dealings.
    OP if you still don't want to use an EA, maybe get another valuation done (check the valuer is approved by your mortgage lender) and if you have two valuations for in and around your offer price, it could help.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

we have just bought a house privately from a family friend. And while some aspects were great, as in she would give us the keys whenever we asked to pop down have a good look around take measurements etc. It was a little awkward negotiating a price with someone we knew. Initially she asked us for more as she said her brothers were putting pressure on her but we were lucky that a house two doors down in similar condition had just sold and was up on the price property register. We told her that we were basing our offer on that and she agreed to come down a good bit on price and we ended up buying it for 5k more then the other house based on the fact our house had new windows, fireplaces and bathroom. We are lucky that everything else has gone very smoothly but i suppose my point is sometimes it is easier dealing with a stranger whom you have no emotions attached to when dealing with the business side of it all

Has the landlord already hired his EA? If not it might be useful to speak to him now and suggest a direct sale at the figure your valuer has given. He may like the idea of no EA fees and marketing costs and might feel deep down that the agents hint of 400k is just bait to hook him.
    The risk with this approach is that he says no and your figure then becomes the floor for the sale process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

If he has already signed with the estate agent hell owe the fees no matter who he sells to in the next 6 months.

The fees are worth anything from 1-2.5 percent so you should calculate that onto your offer. As in if you are offering him 340, without fees, your 'real' offer to him is 347. Cos you'll be saving him 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Also if you are still paying rent for the 3/4 months while the sale goes thru, that's another 4-6 grand in his pocket.

• Advertisement

If he has already signed with the estate agent hell owe the fees no matter who he sells to in the next 6 months.

The fees are worth anything from 1-2.5 percent so you should calculate that onto your offer. As in if you are offering him 340, without fees, your 'real' offer to him is 347. Cos you'll be saving him 7.

It won't be worth 347k, but it will be worth a real 340k.

Advertisement