Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property owner

Options
  • 25-08-2015 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I'm having problems with some neighbours in rented accommodation. I asked them nicely could I have their landlord's contact details and they refused. Is there any way I can find out who owns the property?

Thanks,
    Kaz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

PRTB website.

You can also register a complaint directly with the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

PRTB website.

You can also register a complaint directly with the PRTB.

Only, of course, IF the premises is registered. You won't get the landlord's details either

Only, of course, IF the premises is registered. You won't get the landlord's details either

You can still register a complaint with the PRTB if the premises are not registered. Correctly clarified on the LL details though.

You can still register a complaint with the PRTB if the premises are not registered. Correctly clarified on the LL details though.

I don't think so....

• Advertisement

I don't think so....

You would think wrong
    INITIAL STEPS
    The affected individual must first attempt to resolve the matter directly with the relevant parties to the tenancy and may be required to verify this if they subsequently make a formal PRTB dispute application. If the affected party is unable to identify or contact the landlord, they can make a formal request for the landlord’s and/or letting agent’s (where applicable) name and address (if registered) from the PRTB under Section 77(3) of the Act. This application form must be fully completed and submitted by post to obtain contact information (e-mail or telephone requests are not accepted). If the rental property in question is not registered, the PRTB may take enforcement action against the landlord in question.

See here

Granted the process may be delayed but there are several ways to skin a cat and enforcement proceeding are just as likely - if not more - to force a LL into action.

(if registered)

does this not imply that the tenancy must be registered before any action can be taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

(if registered)

does this not imply that the tenancy must be registered before any action can be taken?
    The very last line addresses exactly that point.

TheChizler wrote: »
    The very last line addresses exactly that point.

Yes but only for not being registered.

The upshot of all of this is that if the Landlord does not register the property then the PRTB cannot deal with such matters referred to by the OP

Yes but only for not being registered.

The upshot of all of this is that if the Landlord does not register the property then the PRTB cannot deal with such matters referred to by the OP
    They can take enforcement action, if this is the action you were referring to.

• Advertisement

They can take enforcement action, if this is the action you were referring to.

The Prtb can't deal with anything related to unregistered properties. Otherwise why would the words "if registered" appear on their documentation relating to use of its services?
    from PRTB website " You should also note that until such time as a tenancy has been entered onto the PRTB's register of tenancies, the PRTB is precluded from dealing with any dispute relating to the tenancy "

The enforcement action it mentions in the last paragraph referred to previously relates to getting the Landlord to register.

The Prtb can't deal with anything related to unregistered properties. Otherwise why would the words "if registered" appear on their documentation relating to use of its services?
    from PRTB website " You should also note that until such time as a tenancy has been entered onto the PRTB's register of tenancies, the PRTB is precluded from dealing with any dispute relating to the tenancy "

The enforcement action it mentions in the last paragraph referred to previously relates to getting the Landlord to register.
    You weren't clear when you said no action could be taken with regards to on the part of whom. Anyway if a landlord is going to ignore their obligation to register then if they were registered they're going to ignore any dispute raised by you with the PRTB.

You weren't clear when you said no action could be taken with regards to on the part of whom. Anyway if a landlord is going to ignore their obligation to register then if they were registered they're going to ignore any dispute raised by you with the PRTB.

I wasn't clear?

I d/led the register for my area & it's not registered. 😢

Maybe the resident is the owner & is just saying its rented?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

You can find out the registered owner from land registry. I think it costs €5 to download from landdirect.ie.

I wasn't clear?

What are you still confused about?

The OP can can register a complaint with the PRTB, the landlord will either be registered or not. If they are happy days, if they are not, enforcement action is taken. That was blindingly obvious from the links I gave you. Nothing stops the OP registering a complaint, it may stop the PRTB from continuing the process.

As I said though more than one way to proceed.

What are you still confused about?

The OP can can register a complaint with the PRTB, the landlord will either be registered or not. If they are happy days, if they are not, enforcement action is taken. That was blindingly obvious from the links I gave you. Nothing stops the OP registering a complaint, it may stop the PRTB from continuing the process.

As I said though more than one way to proceed.

Someone accused me of being unclear.. read all posts !

Someone accused me of being unclear.. read all posts !
    You said no action could be taken if they were unregistered, it was pointed out that the PRTB can take enforcement action if they're not registered, turned out you meant that no action could be taken with regards to the neighbour's complaint. All is good with the world.

OP if the problems with the neighbours are any way criminal in nature would going to the guards be an option?

You said no action could be taken if they were unregistered, it was pointed out that the PRTB can take enforcement action if they're not registered, turned out you meant that no action could be taken with regards to the neighbour's complaint. All is good with the world.

OP if the problems with the neighbours are any way criminal in nature would going to the guards be an option?

post #4

post #4
    And post 8 you said it must be registered before any action could be taken. Look it doesn't matter I understand what you meant now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Does anyone else have advice for the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ask other neighbours if they have contact details for the owner of the property.

Depending in the neighbourhood (works better in small towns), ask in the local pub etc.

Search for the address in the council's planning database (they're all on-line) and see if you can get an address information from previous applications. (Be aware that it may be out-of-date, but someone might be able to give you a lead to the current owner.)

Especially since you're having problems with the neighbours, ask a local politician. They may have some contacts who can help, one way or another.

Post a letter addressed to 'The Owner', make it look official etc.

Probably won't get anywhere but it's worth a shot.

OP - if the LL is uncooperative make sure you make a complaint to the PRTB and follow up for enforcement action. You'll probably find one of two things;

(i) LL is very eager to avoid any issue and deals with it quickly.
    (ii) LL is clueless/absent and enforcement will be the only option.

If you're still unable to get recourse you may consider speaking to the council re noise/behaviour and FLAC (flac.ie) for further options against the tenants directly.

Thanks all, I've a few avenues to persue there! :)

You can find out the registered owner from land registry. I think it costs €5 to download from landdirect.ie.

Thats correct but this mainly applies to rural property. Much urban property is not covered so far.

Advertisement