Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix on smart TV (Chromecast)

• 25-08-2015 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭

Just a Question about Netflix USA and Chromecast.

I have changed the DNS settings on my TV (LG smart TV) but I am unable to get the content from the states.
    It will work on my laptop but as soon as i cast to the TV it just freezes.
    The very same thing happens with my phone. I can watch the content successfully but as soon as I try to cast to Chromecast it just throws up an error message saying that the content is not available in your region (IE).
    Apologies if this is the wrong forum or if I'm not allowed to speak about the US DNS changes, but, can someone explain why this is happening to me please?

I have given up on "other sources" of streaming content. Too inconsistent and flaky. I have a Netflix account and find the Irish selection incredibly poor.
    Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭dubrov

Changing the DNS settings on your TV will have no effect as you are not using your TV's internet connection, you are using the connection via the Chromecast.

You need to change the DNS settings on your router and this will affect all connected devices. For chromecast you also need to block Google's own DNS servers. See here for details:

https://support.unlocator.com/customer/portal/articles/1284813-how-to-setup-chromecast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

dubrov wrote: »
    Changing the DNS settings on your TV will have no effect as you are not using your TV's internet connection, you are using the connection via the Chromecast.

You need to change the DNS settings on your router and this will affect all connected devices. For chromecast you also need to block Google's own DNS servers. See here for details:

https://support.unlocator.com/customer/portal/articles/1284813-how-to-setup-chromecast
    Ah yes - but I was using the Netflix app on the TV (without using chromecast) on the first instance.
    Anyway, I understand now why the devices will work but will not work when cast to the tv as the Chromecast is using default DNS.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If you have the Netflix app on your TV, and are able to change the DNS settings on the TV itself, you don't need to use a chromecast or do anything with your router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If you have the Netflix app on your TV, and are able to change the DNS settings on the TV itself, you don't need to use a chromecast or do anything with your router.
    Yes, that is what I thought but after changing the DNS addresses, getting the green tick for DNS and connection test on the TV, I still only got the Irish selection on Netflix.
    Thats when I strated to try the phone Netflix App and cast on to Chromecast.
    I'll do a proper comparision to night between the phone Netflix selection (while useing the US connection) and the TV selection.

Advertisement