Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architects Cost per Ratio of build

• 25-08-2015 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    i'm in the process of designing a two storey house 1,800 sq ft.

i'm contacting architects, haven't meet up with any yet but want to get an idea of what costs would be involved.

is it a percentage of the build cost?
    if so what would a reasonable figure for the plan of the 2 simple storey
    i.e build cost of 200k
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

you might get a better answer over here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1245
    where u will also see some examples.

It all depends what you mean by plan

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

10-12% is a rough rule of thumb where the architect is used from begining sketches to handover of keys.

That fee then roughly breaks down as
    1. 1/3 up to planning permision.
    2. 1/3 for tender drawings but before works start.
    3. 1/3 for during works up to "final certs".

Many self builders , encouraged by the DOE official and ministers to see architects as opportunistic money grabbers and choose to drop the architect after planning and get "the builder" to build from the planning drawings.

Others are smarter than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Many self builders , encouraged by the DOE official and ministers to see architects as opportunistic money grabbers and choose to drop the architect after planning and get "the builder" to build from the planning drawings.

Well said.....
    Tender/Construction drawing being one of the most important parts of the process

10% of the Building fees is a general rule of, you will however get some deals if you look around
    Not all Architects/Building Surveyors/Engineers charge on a % fee basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭jfh

appreciate the reply's lads.
    i have only meet with one architect & he will charge by the hour,
    still awaiting what that cost will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭jfh

10-12% is a rough rule of thumb where the architect is used from begining sketches to handover of keys.

That fee then roughly breaks down as
    1. 1/3 up to planning permision.
    2. 1/3 for tender drawings but before works start.
    3. 1/3 for during works up to "final certs".

good insight. thanks, just one question, the 1/3 during works.
    what exactly would that be for?
    i take it an architect would call out on site several times during the build?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

jfh wrote: »
    good insight. thanks, just one question, the 1/3 during works.
    what exactly would that be for?
    i take it an architect would call out on site several times during the build?

Contract administration, preparing/issuing certs for payment, site visits/inspections, ensuring contractor is carrying out the works in accordance with the contract, amending the design/specifications (if required), site/progress meetings (with client), snag lists, opinions on compliance...and the likes.

Advertisement