Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭esposito

As I'm a big snow and cold lover, I'm thinking of visiting Scandinavia in Jan or Feb. Question is, which country would you recommend to visit for best chances of snow? I was thinking Sweden but Aer Lingus no longer fly to Stockholm :(

Any advice would be appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

esposito wrote:
    As I'm a big snow and cold lover, I'm thinking of visiting Scandinavia in Jan or Feb. Question is, which country would you recommend to visit for best chances of snow? I was thinking Sweden but Aer Lingus no longer fly to Stockholm

I have been to Oslo, stayed above the city in Holmenkollen. We had a blast. Skiing, cross country skiing, tobogganning to name a few activities. Loads of snow especially outside Oslo. Winter Wonderland. Ryanair fly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    That first fall of snow on the 27th was only the beginning of the story though. Snow continued to fall from frequent showers after you left for Spain. Much of the country was covered by the 30th but the highest depths remained over Connacht and parts of Ulster....

Thats a great picture, I can see that my house in Athenry was on the edge of the deeper snow, the colour down the road towards clarinbridge/gort etc isn't as deep a white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

That first fall of snow on the 27th was only the beginning of the story though. Snow continued to fall from frequent showers after you left for Spain. Much of the country was covered by the 30th but the highest depths remained over Connacht and parts of Ulster.

367693.png

I recall that there was much traffic issues on N17 between Tuam & Galway City as a result.

We had a lot of snow here too in Dec 2010 but this spell lacked a certain 'panache' that came with the wintry spell in Dec 2000, and although this 2000 spell only lasted 3 or 4 days, it was almost as equally intense in terms of low minina. I read somewhere a low of -16.0c was estimated in the Ballinrobe of Co. Mayo during this spell.
    There was zero snow in Arklow during that 2000 period iirc
    Was there a weather front pushing up from the south at the end of that spell? Iirc a few flakes from it here at 4 am returning from the night out followed by about 18hrs heavy rain which fell intermittently as wet snow a few miles nort of here and dumped a lot above 800ft locally before the mild air sweeping in
    It would have been in double figures here by evening, whereas friends who spent the period up in Donegal had to abandon their car around the same time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

There was zero snow in Arklow during that 2000 period iirc
    Was there a weather front pushing up from the south at the end of that spell? Iirc a few flakes from it here at 4 am returning from the night out followed by about 18hrs heavy rain which fell intermittently as wet snow a few miles nort of here and dumped a lot above 800ft locally before the mild air sweeping in
    It would have been in double figures here by evening, whereas friends who spent the period up in Donegal had to abandon their car around the same time :D

Yep, a front moved in later on the 31st of that month (map if for Dec 31 0z, it had passed through 24hrs later) more from the SW but no doubt it would have given some leading edge snow as it hit the colder air (I can't recall tbh)

367768.PNG

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

As I said in the Autumn chat, from mid-month it is TRULY expected to be a lot less mild - still have to wait for a few days to consider for a cold spell but it will definitely be less mild!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    As I said in the Autumn chat, from mid-month it is TRULY expected to be a lot less mild - still have to wait for a few days to consider for a cold spell but it will definitely be less mild!

Isn't that usually what happens as November progresses anyway? :p

New Moon

Isn't that usually what happens as November progresses anyway? :p

Well yeah but in 2011 - the last very warm November I recall had very little drop in temperature.

The lowest max. I recorded that month was 10.1c on the 22nd. I really hope it is much lower than that for this month, come on weather bring the Winter all it has got waiting for us for 5 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Yep, a front moved in later on the 31st of that month (map if for Dec 31 0z, it had passed through 24hrs later) more from the SW but no doubt it would have given some leading edge snow as it hit the colder air (I can't recall tbh)

367768.PNG

Thats it exactly!
    Twas fundoran the car got stuck in and it was the evening of jan 1st by then
    Twas 4am new years morning we had the few flakes then all the rain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

• Advertisement

yorlum11 wrote: »
    I have been to Oslo, stayed above the city in Holmenkollen. We had a blast. Skiing, cross country skiing, tobogganning to name a few activities. Loads of snow especially outside Oslo. Winter Wonderland. Ryanair fly there.

Thanks for that info. Typical Ryanair flying into an airport 60 km away from Oslo though.

esposito wrote:
    Thanks for that info. Typical Ryanair flying into an airport 60 km away from Oslo though.

Its not so bad. Hour journey by bus. Small price to pay for some sneachta :).

Its not so bad. Hour journey by bus. Small price to pay for some sneachta :).[/QUOTE

Fair point ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

esposito wrote: »

Well, you can always pay more and fly direct :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

...or pay about the same and fly direct (a lot of the time) because the bus fare into Oslo will gouge you any savings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Papers saying snow "just around corner" can someone back me up, what are the models saying in the next few weeks

What's the latest on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

What's the latest on this?

Who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

Latest guidance has backed off on this happening, as far as I can see anyway. It was only suggesting snow on high ground in my inexperienced opinion. I wouldn't pay any heed to the papers at all though.

Matt Hugo on Twitter.
    Strat vortex 'behaving' as would be expected given ENSO & QBO phase. +NAO pattern for Dec looking increasingly likely. #notmuchchanceofcold

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Matt Hugo on Twitter.
    Strat vortex 'behaving' as would be expected given ENSO & QBO phase. +NAO pattern for Dec looking increasingly likely. #notmuchchanceofcold

Eh. We've had significant cold/snowy periods during years of moderate and strong El Nino's. And we've had mild/stormy winters when all the teleconnections pointed to a cold winter. Anything is possible really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Matt Hugo on Twitter.

No one knows what the weather will be like in December just as none of these "forecasters" predicted the unusually mild start to November we have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

HighLine wrote: »
    No one knows what the weather will be like in December just as none of these "forecasters" predicted the unusually mild start to November we have had.
    Bingo...stop talking sense :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

esposito wrote: »
    The current "real" Oslo airport, Gardermoen, is about 50km away too, so not much of a difference there. The old airport at Fornebu was only 10km away but has long since closed and been redeveloped as an industrial estate.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I predicted a mild, wet, windy winter starting in November a few pages back, can I be made King Predictor now.... or whatever title that Postman from Donegal had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Loughc wrote: »
    I predicted a mild, wet, windy winter starting in November a few pages back, can I be made King Predictor now.... or whatever title that Postman from Donegal had.

I'm sure the DailyMail will be very interested in contacting you :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm sure the DailyMail will be very interested in contacting you :D

Mild, wet winter doesn't shift papers and certainly isn't sensationalist enough for them. haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Has MT made his winter prediction yet? Have I missed it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Has MT made his winter prediction yet? Have I missed it??

Yep he has - it's further back here in the general winter thread.
    Here's a link to it

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Lumi wrote: »
    Yep he has - it's further back here in the general winter thread.
    Here's a link to it

Thanks.....how on earth I missed it :o

• Advertisement

Some people say that there does be patterns like this:

*A cold Summer means a mild Winter
    *A warm Summer means a cold Winter

How often has this occurred, so they say?

*Pattern #1 - 2011, 2007 (it was slightly below for me), 2002, 2001.
    *Pattern #2 - 2014, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2000, 1995, 1990, 1989.

Does this mean we could be in for a mild Winter 'cause we had a cold Summer? That is very high unlikely in my opinion!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement