Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

FWVT wrote: »
    Who are "they"?

Netweather forecasters......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Anyone hill walking lately? Much snow above 600m?

I'll let u know tomorrow nite

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Looks like the Mourne mountains are getting another dusting this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The meteorological Winter will be starting and it is set to get warmer as soon as December starts :mad:

Temperatures widely of at least 10-12c on both Tuesday and Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

sryanbruen wrote: »
    The meteorological Winter will be starting and it is set to get warmer as soon as December starts :mad:

Temperatures widely of at least 10-12c on both Tuesday and Wednesday.

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday... looking quite cool on the 06Z GFS to me.

108-580UK_ejx9.GIF
    126-580UK_wrc1.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Why are people consistently surprised/disappointed/amazed/let down etc etc about Ireland's weather? Yes it's been a ****ty windy rainy mild November and it looks the same into the first week of December,but our winter(and summer) weather has been like this since records began.sometimes -8....sometimes +12/14 in november/december.this has been, and always will be, at our geo location the situation.some geo locations will be more or less sure of certain types of weather at certain times of the year,but where we are is always a stab in the dark.I would love to see a cold snowy Christmas,but I have been around the block long enough to know it could be freezing or tropical (slight exaggeration).the situation is not going to change in my lifetime,so basically in simplified terms,don't be dramatic or surprised at ANY type of weather we get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Why are people consistently surprised/disappointed/amazed/let down etc etc about Ireland's weather? Yes it's been a ****ty windy rainy mild November and it looks the same into the first week of December,but our winter(and summer) weather has been like this since records began.sometimes -8....sometimes +12/14 in november/december.this has been, and always will be, at our geo location the situation.some geo locations will be more or less sure of certain types of weather at certain times of the year,but where we are is always a stab in the dark.I would love to see a cold snowy Christmas,but I have been around the block long enough to know it could be freezing or tropical (slight exaggeration).the situation is not going to change in my lifetime,so basically in simplified terms,don't be dramatic or surprised at ANY type of weather we get

It's the love of weather, in this case or for me at least /cold and snowy that people are looking for so wen it doesn't come of course people will get dissatisfied or surprised. it's because we arn't guaranteed it every year that makes it interesting.
    For me anyway its the thrill of getting snow outside my doorstep because normally to guarantee snow you would have to go to a ski resort or something lol but getting it at home in ireland is just great. Also the excitement of lamppost watching.
    Hope I gave u a reason to understand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

It's the love of weather, in this case or for me at least /cold and snowy that people are looking for so wen it doesn't come of course people will get dissatisfied or surprised. it's because we arn't guaranteed it every year that makes it interesting.
    For me anyway its the thrill of getting snow outside my doorstep because normally to guarantee snow you would have to go to a ski resort or something lol but getting it at home in ireland is just great. Also the excitement of lamppost watching.
    Hope I gave u a reason to understand :)

I get a buzz too when on the rare occasions we get snow in ireland(where i am anyway) but that doesnt really have relevance to the point of my post.i was generally talking about why people constantly seem surprised and disappointed etc about our winter weather.its always was and is going to be a lottery so i dont get the surprise/disappointment factor. I am a regular traveller to bavaria,mostly in winter and i know what i am going to get when i go there,but in ireland its a fact that you dont, so why the amazment/disappointment that its going to be 12/14 degrees here in parts for a couple of days next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Weatherproof79

Snow warning for parts of North Tomorrow morning

Meanwhile in Scotland today :

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Snow warning for parts of North Tomorrow morning

Aye further south probably some snow for the mtns in say sligo Mayo,the top of the Galtees and wicklow's too

Looking quite windy Friday night on the 0Z GFS.

CapqIcn.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Looking quite windy Friday night on the 0Z GFS.

Looking quite windy outside the window right now!

Is this Clodagh, the post-Clodagh blast or the start of Davy?

Gets confusing when the wind hardly pauses....:confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Winter has arrived in the north again.

Perthshire, Scotland

CVDfr7FU8AEoK6C.png:large

and Voss, Norway

foto91878.jpg

Lucky buggers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Looking quite windy outside the window right now!

Is this Clodagh, the post-Clodagh blast or the start of Davy?

Gets confusing when the wind hardly pauses....:confused:

Aye windier here today than yesterday (wicklow)
    Scot snow is temporary, it will be gone tomorrow night via a raging southwesterly

GFS gives Norway an unreal snowstorm. 930mb low. Hurricane force winds. Heavy snow. :eek:

EV21qlx.gif
    UW82o7b.gif

Looking very windy next Friday and Saturday on the 12Z GFS. A near 24 hour period of constant 100-130 km/h gusts with heavy rain could be messy.

A lot of uncertainty though, so just worth keeping an eye on at this stage.

102-289UK_uhx9.GIF
    108-289UK_vrw6.GIF
    114-289UK_ibg0.GIF
    120-289UK_cyt5.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Serious winds across Scotland next weekend if this came about...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Looking at those charts we could be in Siberia by Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Looking very windy next Friday and Saturday on the 12Z GFS. A near 24 hour period of constant 100-130 km/h gusts with heavy rain could be messy.

A lot of uncertainty though, so just worth keeping an eye on

It would mske for a very interesting weekend indeed :)

We're a long way out from it at this stage but the thoughts of it are both interesting and somewhat sobering. Three wind events in approx a month. A lively winter so far :)

• Advertisement

ECM looks quite different to the GFS on Friday/Saturday but then has it's own storm on Monday.

ECU1-168_xgy3.GIF

Just going into December, it looks like we could be in for another very windy month. 2015 has been an exceptionally windy year!

January - very windy
    February - moderately windy - but still above average
    March - moderately windy - but still above average
    April - windy - a little above average
    May - moderately windy - but still above average
    June - very windy
    July - moderately windy - but still above average
    August - moderately windy - but still above average
    September - moderately windy - but still above average
    October - calm - sigh of relief
    November - very windy

If December goes ahead being another very windy month, I could break my all-time record for windiest year which was 1995 - and this year had the second calmest Summer in my records. LOL, :pac:

Why the meteorological seasons start different than the astronomical seasons

http://www.bbc.com/weather/features/34970218

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah my snowy Christmas day only borderline now. 7c looks most likely that day.

This windy airflow could last months.

A few hundred metres of sand dunes in Rosses Point have eroded these past few months. Another year of wind....not out of the question. ...and the golf course could be on the beach soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

pauldry wrote: »

This windy airflow could last months.
    Sadly I find it very hard to disagree with this.
    It must be that Atlantic cold "blob" - we've had a few years of very windy weather now, Tm air + the "blob" = explosive cyclogenesis. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I called a mild wet windy winter a few months ago. It's so easy to predict our winters lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Loughc wrote: »
    I called a mild wet windy winter a few months ago. It's so easy to predict our winters lately.

Six minutes into winter at the time of your post. But statistically you will probably be right anyway. Maybe you should sell a book. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Weatherproof79

More Winter is over posts smh. I had snow yesterday and Winter hadn't even begun what is Mother Nature playing at? First day of Winter but Winter is over folks. Next 12-13 weeks are in the bin. Sorry come back next Halloween for a repeat prediction. It's the weather, there will be no changes or surprises along the way. Met.ie will cease to exist we don't need them anymore. Tell them to take the Winter off we have it sussed. 😛

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Extremely mild and breezy this morning. I run a lot early morning and this morning was a lot milder than an awful lot of our Summer runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement