Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Villain wrote: »

I just posted in the CC thread....this time/day 5 years ago, there was 15cm of (level) snow on the ground here....ahh, the memories! :)

12.0c here atm. Maybe the mild November (warmest in my 5 years of records) and mild start to Winter bodes well for a colder mid/end to Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

There has been no real mention of a storm on Friday/Saturday with Met Eireann yet has there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

0Z ECM has a 975mb low crossing the country on Sunday.

3mmKY94.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I just posted in the CC thread....this time/day 5 years ago, there was 15cm of (level) snow on the ground here....ahh, the memories! :)

Aye and now Broken Face brings up stuff from 5 years ago including this photo of my yard here in coastal wicklow
    You have to pinch yourself to remind yourself that these were conditions near the coast in 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Has there even been a frosty morning this autumn/winter? Not that I recall. Not in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Has there even been a frosty morning this autumn/winter? Not that I recall. Not in Dublin.

I'm on the road at 7am every morning and I haven't had to defrost my car once since April. There was however a light frost covering on my car one night last week which had dissipated by morn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

One air frost in my back yard anyway.
    In the early hours of Monday 23rd Nov the temperature got down to -0.6c but it was gone by morning when it clouded over during the night.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

leahyl wrote: »
    There has been no real mention of a storm on Friday/Saturday with Met Eireann yet has there?

Not set in cement yet, I'd say closer to tomorrow evening we'll have a clear picture. These systems are very unpredictable

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

so far this seems like the mildest start to winter Ive witnessed in about 15 years, maybe more. Ive seen frost on the car during the night twice so far but nothing during daylight hours or even early morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ferretr33

We have had a light frost twice in the last two months in the Navan/kells Meath boarder only lasted till early hours, lets hope we see a hard frost even that for a day or two would do me at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Autumn and the start of Winter 1946 were also very mild. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Siobhan Ryan mentioned it after the 9 o'clock news on Sunday as something to keep an eye on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Autumn and the start of Winter 1946 were also very mild. ;)

I've been searching the internet for the past hour trying to find information on the build up to The Big Snow of 1947 specifically weather conditions for November/December 1946 but can't seem to get any where. Loads of hits for the actual Big Snow from end of January onwards. Does any one have a link that will show me the build up to that Big Snow event?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It's fairly uncertain still. At the moment it looks like windy conditions on Friday/Saturday though probably nothing too strong and then possibly another low on Sunday or Monday which could bring stronger winds but that's more uncertain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rosefahey

What are the chances of snow this winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

rosefahey wrote: »

Unfortuanately that cant be answered,its impossible to tell.its like trying to predict the lottery numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

rosefahey wrote: »

Depends on your location Rose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the rag papers are at it again, claiming a cold snowy blast is on its way to Ireland, of course there is nothing but mild, wind and rain on the horizon for the next week or 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Gonzo wrote: »
    the rag papers are at it again, claiming a cold snowy blast is on its way to Ireland, of course there is nothing but mild, wind and rain on the horizon for the next week or 2!

Heard Marty Whelan mention this on the radio this morning. What's the source for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Heard Marty Whelan mention this on the radio this morning. What's the source for this?

None other than the wonderful James Madden...I thought the Examiner was better than this!
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/winter-is-coming-snowy-blasts-on-the-way-for-ireland-from-mid-december-368903.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Friday looks okay by day but we are watching developments in the northern Atlantic ready for Friday evening/night and Saturday. A deep area of low pressure looks like it will bring very windy weather to all and stormy conditions in the north. And even for Sunday, there could be another low affecting southern Britain. Keep an eye on the forecast if you have travel plans for next weekend.

Netweather.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Rougies wrote: »
    Saw this on reddit. Donegal this morning.

https://imgur.com/2ACLMJR
    In fact, that was yesterday morning. :)

[post]97910932[/post]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

We ended up with 326.9mm of rain in Castlebar in November making it the wettest November in 16 years, if precipitation levels keep up in December it will be the wettest year here going back as far as 1977 ( the last year I have information on ).

I've been searching the internet for the past hour trying to find information on the build up to The Big Snow of 1947 specifically weather conditions for November/December 1946 but can't seem to get any where. Loads of hits for the actual Big Snow from end of January onwards. Does any one have a link that will show me the build up to that Big Snow event?:cool:

You need to go buy this http://www.easons.com/p-8694-irelands-arctic-siege.aspx?gclid=COOc-ev0uskCFQeNGwodO58JwQ and have a read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's quite tropical out there today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Xenji wrote: »
    We ended up with 326.9mm of rain in Castlebar in November making it the wettest November in 16 years, if precipitation levels keep up in December it will be the wettest year here going back as far as 1977 ( the last year I have information on ).

Pretty much similar to Newport's total of 321.1 mm. Not sure how much this station recorded back in 2009, but the met report had 301 mm up to the 26th of that month. Gives little indication of that may have fell in the final 4 days for some strange reason to see if that month's total exceed (or not) this month's totals.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Looking stormy again for Friday in the northwest

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Pretty much similar to Newport's total of 321.1 mm. Not sure how much this station recorded back in 2009, but the met report had 301 mm up to the 26th of that month. Gives little indication of that may have fell in the final 4 days for some strange reason to see if that month's total exceed (or not) this month's totals.

If that was up to 301mm of that month in Newport, I can assure you 100% that it did not pass this November's. The showers on the 27th were much lighter, the 28th-30th was dry there whilst here in Dublin, we had some intense rain on the 29th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Weatherproof79

Northern Ireland weather on Facebook have issued a warning for winds of 80-90mph for Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Saturday looking windy at present also but a bit away yet to be certain.

w0UhZLM.png?1

i0MmIy1.png?1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement