Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The trouble with this batch of storms (unlike the ones from 2013) is that there is no clear, calm weather between them. Haven't had a proper sunny day in Dublin for ages and you usually get that once a low pressures rain belt has passed through.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The trouble with this batch of storms (unlike the ones from 2013) is that there is no clear, calm weather between them. Haven't had a proper sunny day in Dublin for ages and you usually get that once a low pressures rain belt has passed through.

22nd November - seem like a distant memory??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I don't mind this weather, In my opinion its far better than boring old drizzle and mist.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I don't mind this weather, In my opinion its far better than boring old drizzle and mist.

which August 2011 was full of :mad: - I hated that month. Anyway, yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very windy here in West Clare, very surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,140 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

gusting 55 knots in Belmullet, windy alright, rain not far off the coast now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Picked up here outside Newport, Mayo now. Had some strong sustained gusts for about 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Very windy in mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Registered Users Posts: 10,140 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very windy in Castlebar now, very strong gusts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Very windy in Castlebar now, very strong gusts!

Its picked up quite a bit, some heavy rain coming in now as well, it is also a few degrees warmer than the last few nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

Why are we getting battered with wind and rain and non stop storms this year? Its like every single storm rolling in hits ireland but then sometimes uk sometimes not. I know the Atlantic is the influence in the miserable weather we endure here but why this year are there so many storms?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

screamer wrote: »
    Why are we getting battered with wind and rain and non stop storms this year? Its like every single storm rolling in hits ireland but then sometimes uk sometimes not. I know the Atlantic is the influence in the miserable weather we endure here but why this year are there so many storms?

Depends on the position and strength of the jetstream. Over the weekend it will be quite strong and right over us, hence the potential for stormy episodes in the days ahead.

6GdLX2z.png

Outlook for Friday is still quite windy. Inland gusts of 100-110 km/h possible just about anywhere for a time. Probably up to around 120-130 km/h on the exposed northwest coast.

Just how it looks at the moment, subject to changes.

TmHpzjo.png

Outlook for Friday is still quite windy. Inland gusts of 100-110 km/h possible just about anywhere for a time. Probably up to around 120-130 km/h on the exposed northwest coast.

Just how it looks at the moment, subject to changes.

TmHpzjo.png

Do you have an idea of how long this might last? Also will it be a daylight event?

corsav6 wrote: »
    Do you have an idea of how long this might last? Also will it be a daylight event?

At the moment it looks like peak winds would be during the evening on Friday. There maybe be further windy periods in the days immediately following that but that is uncertain still.

At the moment it looks like peak winds would be during the evening on Friday. There maybe be further windy periods in the days immediately following that but that is uncertain still.

Thanks maq :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I've been searching the internet for the past hour trying to find information on the build up to The Big Snow of 1947 specifically weather conditions for November/December 1946 but can't seem to get any where. Loads of hits for the actual Big Snow from end of January onwards. Does any one have a link that will show me the build up to that Big Snow event?:cool:
    All the charts for winter 46/7 you'll find here. Just pick your date.
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsreaeur.html

You mentioned December, most people who have an interest in past weather think winter 46/7 was a late starter and arrived without warning after a mild December but this is not true, there was severe cold in Europe in December and I only discovered this reading a book about the hardship in Germany post WW2 when the population were living in bombed out ruins. I actually thought at first that this book made a mistake and mixed up December with late Jan and Feb when the real winter arrived but the book got it right! :)
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/1946/Rrea00119461217.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

I don't usually pay much attention to rainfall accumulation charts , but this pull from the GFS certainly got my attention this morning. That's a heck of a lot of rain for the South up till mid month! Certainly not needed!

42FC4559A19E45D6AA4740B3028B8E5F-0000334566-0003820059-00768L-B99860E2D5224908AC4625B73F17F5C9.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

ME have a yellow warning for rain tomorrow.

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, east Cork and south Tipperary
    Rainfall amounts of 25 to 35 mm Thursday

Issued:Wednesday 02 December 2015 10:00
    Valid:Thursday 03 December 2015 00:01 to Thursday 03 December 2015 21:00

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    ME have a yellow warning for rain tomorrow.

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, east Cork and south Tipperary
    Rainfall amounts of 25 to 35 mm Thursday

Issued:Wednesday 02 December 2015 10:00
    Valid:Thursday 03 December 2015 00:01 to Thursday 03 December 2015 21:00

Not sure how Waterford got left out of that. :p

hirlamuk-25-35-0_qtu5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

weekend looks wet ? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

Not sure how Waterford got left out of that. :p

hirlamuk-25-35-0_qtu5.png
    I'm not sure where weather underground are gettin 40mm of rain for Kildare tomorrow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

at this stage its a close call to what im looking forward to the most, a 2 week dry spell or a week of snow. So fed up of this relentless wind and rain that we've been getting for weeks on end. I know the west sees wind and rain like this often during the winter but I can't remember it being this excessive in the east for many years.

Gonzo wrote: »
    at this stage its a close call to what im looking forward to the most, a 2 week dry spell or a week of snow. So fed up of this relentless wind and rain that we've been getting for weeks on end. I know the west sees wind and rain like this often during the winter but I can't remember it being this excessive in the east for many years.

Yep even during Winter 2013/14 I've never seen a long spell of wet and VERY WINDY - not even, weather in my area in a very long time. I am fed up as much as you. I wouldn't care if we got a dry, cold spell like we did in January 2011 OR a spell of snow like December 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Midlands Minnie

I really miss the frosty mornings.

If this Winter turns out like Winter 2011 / 12, I feel like crying in tears :( That Winter was like Summer in terms of temperature! - though rarely any sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some glimmers of hope in the far reaches of FI...

Has been flagged by one or two long range models.

Stratospheric warming watch begins.

gfsnh-10-384.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Still glimmers in the far reaches of FI for some strat warming.

So focus for prolonged would be beyond Christmas period and into New Year.

Before then chance of some north-westerly shots..

A definite cool down is likely for a short time, before mild pre-Christmas and who knows thereafter.

gfsnh-10-384.png?0

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Screw you Iceland, screw you!

852818.jpg
    Residents of Icelandic capital Reykjavik woke up to 42 cm (16.5 inches) of snow this morning – the highest depth of snow in December since records began.

According to the Icelandic Met Office, the previous record was set back in 2011, when snow lay 33 cm (13 inches) deep in Reykjavik on 29 December that year.

The highest ever depth of snow recorded in in Reykjavik was 55 cm (21.5 inches) back in January 1937, and if snows continues to fall on the city, this record might also be broken – and soon.

Now at 42 cm, snow levels in Reykjavik were 32 cm just four days ago on Saturday.
    http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/nature_and_travel/2015/12/02/record_december_snowfall_for_reykjavik/?utm_content=buffer83845&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement