Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

Metmaster wrote: »
    Looks like we might start getting some cold days and frosty nights by friday next hopefully its the end if this mild wet windy weather and maybe well get some snow who knows:)
    I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Great start to winter. Some exceptional weather events. Multiple nationwide warnings, heavy rain, Gale force. Even the nature of the systems. Great stuff so far....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

Nabber wrote: »
    Great start to winter. Some exceptional weather events. Multiple nationwide warnings, heavy rain, Gale force. Even the nature of the systems. Great stuff so far....

I doubt if the people whose property has been damaged,or the people who have to work out in that weather,or the people whose flights and ferry crossings have been cancelled would agree that it's "great stuff". some of the posts here makes the mind boggle!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I doubt if the people whose property has been damaged,or the people who have to work out in that weather,or the people whose flights and ferry crossings have been cancelled would agree that it's "great stuff". some of the posts here makes the mind boggle!

Some people like the bad weather and storms. Obviously not the effects of bad weather but if you can enjoy the inevitable then why not?

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Some people like the bad weather and storms. Obviously not the effects of bad weather but if you can enjoy the inevitable then why not?

It's not a case of enjoying it or not enjoying it,the weather will be what the weather will be,but to wallow in it when it's causing people misery and destruction mystifies me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Every year we go over this.

There are those who a hobby in; tanks, guns, cars, swords, trains, planes, boats, motorbikes, all to some extent cause hardship , death and destruction to some extent.

I don't like when weather kills or destroys. My own home has been flooded twice in last 12years.

I like the raw power, that we have no control, that weather can suprise us and that weather & Sun have probably played the largest part in shaping human thought and civilisation.

I'll keep enjoying the weather. But I'll also keep praying the no one dies when hazardous weather hits our shores.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Looks like we might start getting some cold days and frosty nights by friday next hopefully its the end if this mild wet windy weather and maybe well get some snow who knows:)
    Looking that way. At last we are seeing the weakening of that annoying and persistent Iberia/Euro high which will allow the jet to dig further south.
    MEireann saying "noticeably colder" towards next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It's about appreciating the power of weather, of nature. Not about appreciating human suffering which can come as a side effect of the the weather.

I can't believe I have to explain that to you.

It's like going on to the football forum and shaming Liverpool fans for celebrating a victory because the players are millionaires who are not giving money to homeless people. :rolleyes:

It's about appreciating the power of weather, of nature. Not about appreciating human suffering which can come as a side effect of the the weather.

I can't believe I have to explain that to you.

It's like going on to the football forum and shaming Liverpool fans for celebrating a victory because the players are millionaires who are not giving money to homeless people. :rolleyes:

Everyone knows that this kind of extreme weather causes some misery along the line to people and their properties,thats why i dont appreciate the power of these storms.i resisted doing the childish rolling eyes thingy

Looking that way. At last we are seeing the weakening of that annoying and persistent Iberia/Euro high which will allow the jet to dig further south.
    MEireann saying "noticeably colder" towards next weekend.

I hope it does settle down by friday,i have a flight early friday morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

If it does settle Friday - which I say it won't do, this December is going exactly like 2009

1st-9th: Wet and windy as well as mild conditions
    10th-15th: A dry, cloudy (apart from 10th) and snowless period but cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

sryanbruen wrote: »
    If it does settle Friday - which I say it won't do, this December is going exactly like 2009

1st-9th: Wet and windy as well as mild conditions
    10th-15th: A dry, cloudy (apart from 10th) and snowless period but cold

Thanks for that. You know I don't really remember 09 as much as I do 10, I do remember severe frost and all the trees completely frozen but was there snow?

Thanks for that. You know I don't really remember 09 as much as I do 10, I do remember severe frost and all the trees completely frozen but was there snow?

Snowfall was recorded in at least one station on these days in December 2009:

17th, 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, 23rd, 25th, 29th, 30th, 31st

For me to predict snow, I look back at previous years and the calendar

Past Decembers:

2014: Stormy at times with variable rainfall, sunshine and temperatures.
    2013: Exceptionally wet and windy almost everywhere. Very dull and warm.
    2012: Relatively sunny in parts. Mostly wet with variable temperatures.
    2011: Very stormy. Becoming unseasonably warm after a cold start and dull.
    2010: Coldest December on record. Very sunny and dry.
    2009: Coldest December for 28 years. Becoming dry after a wet and windy start. Sunnier than normal.
    2008: Very cold overall but dry and sunny.
    2007: Mainly wet, windy, sunny and warm.
    2006: Very wet, windy, warm and relatively sunny in most places.
    2005: Sunny in parts. Mild and dry in most places.
    2004: Mild, sunny and dry in most places.
    2003: Mild, sunny and variable rainfall.
    2002: Dullest December on record in places. Wet in places and mostly mild.
    2001: Cold and dry in most places. Sunniest December on record.
    2000: Very wet and cool with variable sunshine.
    1999: Wettest December on record and cold but sunny in most places.

Let's see of all these past Decembers, how many of them started off mild, wet and windy.

2009, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 2000

And during the same Decembers, snow has been recorded in:

2009, 2004, 2000

Mmmm.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Posts like this do indeed boggle the mind - this is a weather thread in a section of boards mainly visited by weather enthusiasts.

Most of us like all sorts of weather phenomena - thunderstorms, snow, ice, wind and rain - as well as sunshine and long dry spells and hot summer weather.

It goes without saying that extreme events are the most interesting; many such events are potentially fatal to someone in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It's called life.

I spent half of this afternoon on a local hillside with the dog in a storm, the drizzle coming in sheets, the air mild, the trees being tossed around as the remaining leaves are ripped off.

It was a fantastic experience, fantastic weather - should I have enjoyed it less because somewhere, someone might be crushed by a tree? Or that ferries were cancelled? (Given my location the odds of it being me hit by a flying branch were higher than most; and I've often experienced ferries cancelled and other transport disruption including damaged property).

We'll all be dead soon - good idea to live a bit first.

Every year brings these dismal posts from people who always view the glass of life as half-empty....

Bring on the blizzards and the howling gales! :)

I seen on the sixone news that there was idiots swimming in the swollen river in salthill,galway.I hope they drown in their own stupidity (metaphorically). The rescue service people,who I have great respect for,have enough going on without these fools adding to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

So whats in store for Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

winter prediction
    wet

Posts like this do indeed boggle the mind - this is a weather thread in a section of boards mainly visited by weather enthusiasts.

Most of us like all sorts of weather phenomena - thunderstorms, snow, ice, wind and rain - as well as sunshine and long dry spells and hot summer weather.

It goes without saying that extreme events are the most interesting; many such events are potentially fatal to someone in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It's called life.

I spent half of this afternoon on a local hillside with the dog in a storm, the drizzle coming in sheets, the air mild, the trees being tossed around as the remaining leaves are ripped off.

It was a fantastic experience, fantastic weather - should I have enjoyed it less because somewhere, someone might be crushed by a tree? Or that ferries were cancelled? (Given my location the odds of it being me hit by a flying branch were higher than most; and I've often experienced ferries cancelled and other transport disruption including damaged property).

We'll all be dead soon - good idea to live a bit first.

Every year brings these dismal posts from people who always view the glass of life as half-empty....

Bring on the blizzards and the howling gales! :)

I am actually a happy chappie and not at all dismal,I am just a realist.I am as much a weather enthusiast as anyone on here(winter weather mostly)summer does nothing for me.my post earlier was in relation to someone wallowing in this extreme weather and saying it was great stuff,what made it more ludicrous was that he said his house was flooded twice over the years during these storms! You paint a pretty picture of you and your dog going walking in these storms while the trees are being tossed around,I mean no sarcasm buti hope you stay safe during these walks.its obviously your own business what you choose to do in this inclement weather.I lost a relative from flying debris during a storm many years ago,maybe that's why I dont think these storms are great craic.I am more into the weather than you probably believe,but i don't post on here to get my "thankometer" into overdrive.I agree with you that we only live once and to enjoy life,which I try to do everyday, i know I am in the minority about my views on here,but that's irrelevant to me.enjoy the weather,but stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I seen on the sixone news that there was idiots swimming in the swollen river in salthill,galway. [...]
    These ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

joujoujou wrote: »

Idiots...wait a see how cool they think they are when Teresa gets her hands on them :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

joujoujou wrote: »

That 1st jump was very impressive. Good swimmers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I seen on the sixone news that there was idiots swimming in the swollen river in salthill,galway.I hope they drown in their own stupidity (metaphorically). The rescue service people,who I have great respect for,have enough going on without these fools adding to it.

Seriously swollen river. It's as big as the Atlantic! ;)

Well Newport has recorded 10 of its months with rainfall of 100mm or more and a total of 1864.8mm until Dec 5th. When was Newport's wettest year on record?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Metmaster

At last!! Met eireann have forecasted very cold weather for next weekend with wintry showers likely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

At last!! Met eireann have forecasted very cold weather for next weekend with wintry showers likely!

Frosty weather is always good for easing flooded conditions. I guess the mountains freeze up thus producing less runoff.

I remember back in Oct/Nov 2009 thinking if these rain levels keep up, the country will be completely flooded by February.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hopefully we will get a few dry, cold and frosty days next weekend, the ground really needs it. With almost a week to go anything can change tho.

Frosty weather is always good for easing flooded conditions. I guess the mountains freeze up thus producing less runoff.

I remember back in Oct/Nov 2009 thinking if these rain levels keep up, the country will be completely flooded by February.

It is good unless it is followed by wet conditions i.e. frost or snow melting along with the rain falling 'causes flooding which happened at the end of January 2013 for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzx3MeYonT8&sns=em

Just to prove i am not at all dismal :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

Forget about snow lads, we dont get a winter here, its the same crap all year round give or take a few degrees,we live in a horrible part of the world for weather.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement