Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z GFS dumps about 60mm of rain on the west and southwest on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod note
    Posts regarding the hurricane-force winds in Iceland have been moved to a new thread here - the discussion was spread over 3 threads and was difficult to follow. If I've missed any just PM me and I'll move them.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

12Z GFS dumps about 60mm of rain on the west and southwest on Saturday.

need that to go away!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Predicted rain for Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

Well I just dropped 50 quid on a mighty fine umbrella as I am absolutely fed up of being soaked and getting sick. It's windproof to 55 miles an hour, so it'll be well tested. I see no end to this weather at all, I'd say we'll have a few cold nights in Jan/ Feb but that's about it, this winter is like a storm train and I don't see it changing track anytime soon.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

I ditched the brollie due to the feckin winds years ago & got a good waterproof jacket & sou'wester hat......can't turn inside out or become Mary Poppins now. :))

18Z GFS traps that low pressure to our southwest so that it moves very slowly. The result is a lot of rain dumped over the southern half of the island...a lot.

After the weekend, on Monday evening :

144-777UK_amt7.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

We're gonna need a bigger boat...........

18Z GFS traps that low pressure to our southwest so that it moves very slowly. The result is a lot of rain dumped over the southern half of the island...a lot.

After the weekend, on Monday evening :

144-777UK_amt7.GIF

this might not happen right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Anybody have a table of spring tides? What dates are highest tides of the month?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This is very worrying, we are not too bad in the east, its been very wet but the west of Ireland and western UK has seen way too much rain already and to think the same amount is gonna drop again over the next week is more than worrying, another red warning might be needed as the water levels are dangerously high already.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,140 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Saturday and Sunday around 6pm , give or take a few minutes

km79 wrote: »
    this might not happen right ?

Correct. But's a possibility.

Correct. But's a possibility.

i want to wake up tomorrow and see a maguiladora post showing no precipitation for a week
    OK ?
    :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

km79 wrote: »
    i want to wake up tomorrow and see a maguiladora post showing no precipitation for a week
    OK ?
    :D

unfortunately thats not gonna happen, December looks like another write off, an absolute washout. Lets hope mother nature balances things out and we can look forward to a much dryer and colder January & February with some snow snowers peppering along the eastern half of Ireland singing along with a bitter siberian easterly wind. Im so fed up of this atlantic muck and the trouble its causing, even tho in my part of the world we are getting off lightly compared to other parts of this world.

If this is correct, then we'd likely see another red rain warning for this weekend. Subtract about 10-15 from these totals and that's how much rain the GFS is showing for Saturday & Sunday.

114-777UK_qvs6.GIF

For comparison to last weekend, here is what the same model showed for the 3 day period during Desmond.

72-777UK.GIF?

Could be a serious situation for the southwest in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Dear God Maq, that is scary!! :eek: What is the likelihood of this coming off - there is nothing very specific mentioned on met.ie yet -

"Cloudy over south Munster and south Leinster with outbreaks of rain Saturday morning and cold and frosty with icy patches elsewhere. The band of rain in the south may move northwards turning to sleet/snow for a time. Some icy patches Saturday night.
    Sunday: Mild and windy with scattered outbreaks of rain. rain.
    Next week: Atlantic regime. Wet and windy at times with some spells of heavy rain. Gales at times also with very rough seas."

It's a bit early yet I suppose....

leahyl wrote: »
    Dear God Maq, that is scary!! :eek: What is the likelihood of this coming off - there is nothing very specific mentioned on met.ie yet -

"Cloudy over south Munster and south Leinster with outbreaks of rain Saturday morning and cold and frosty with icy patches elsewhere. The band of rain in the south may move northwards turning to sleet/snow for a time. Some icy patches Saturday night.
    Sunday: Mild and windy with scattered outbreaks of rain. rain.
    Next week: Atlantic regime. Wet and windy at times with some spells of heavy rain. Gales at times also with very rough seas."

That forecast was written before the 0Z ECM came out, and the ECM has moved towards the GFS idea of heavy rain pushing into the southwest.

ecm0125_nat_msl_t850_6urk_2015120900_084.jpg

So it is looking increasingly likely, but not certain yet. But worth keeping an eye on for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Weatherproof79

leahyl wrote: »

" The band of rain in the south may move northwards turning to sleet/snow for a time. Some icy patches Saturday night.

The met office shows a max of 3c and snow on Saturday for Western parts of NI but mts fc says highs of 10-13c. Too early yet as you say

The met office shows a max of 3c and snow on Saturday for Western parts of NI but mts fc says highs of 10-13c. Too early yet as you say

Both of those are true.

78-778UK_trx1.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Latest BBC news 24 graphics has Saturdays rain turning to snow over wide parts of inland north Munster and south Leinster away from coasts :eek:
    Wide areas of North Cork, all of Tipp,much of Kilkenny up in to Carlow were covered in white

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Evelyn this morning said that the rain on Saturday would be preceded by sleet and snow for a while

I need this to go away south

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Knock TAF giving snow showers from 4am-9am tommorow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Gonzo wrote: »
    unfortunately thats not gonna happen, December looks like another write off, an absolute washout. Lets hope mother nature balances things out and we can look forward to a much dryer and colder January & February with some snow snowers peppering along the eastern half of Ireland singing along with a bitter siberian easterly wind. Im so fed up of this atlantic muck and the trouble its causing, even tho in my part of the world we are getting off lightly compared to other parts of this world.

Eh, not just the East coast!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This December is actually scaring me :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod note

We have two Event Threads open at the moment
    Stormy Wednesday. Gusts to 110km likely in NW with up to 35mm of rain also.

and
    Weekend 12th, 13th December - Flood risk

Can we keep this thread for general winter chat and post your reports on today's weather and concerns over the flood risk at the weekend in the relevant threads.
    Some posts have been moved to the appropriate event threads

Thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Latest BBC news 24 graphics has Saturdays rain turning to snow over wide parts of inland north Munster and south Leinster away from coasts :eek:
    Wide areas of North Cork, all of Tipp,much of Kilkenny up in to Carlow were covered in white

371166.PNG

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

vwMin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    371166.PNG

Its inaccurate. It's giving snow at my house and it just doesn't snow here in west Clare :):):)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement