Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Just a perspective from Southern Poland on the winter so far. After an extremely early start (October 12th) where we had 20 cms of snow and also about the same mid November, its all gone extremely mild.

The weather has been so zonal (Everything flowing west to east), the Atlantic storms have affected the weather here.

Usually 0/-2 850temps are enough for snow here, but even with -2 uppers and 1c 2m air temps we are getting nothing but rain with occasional wet snow.

Its heading for the first Christmas without snow for many many years here unless the west airflow is halted.

The ski resorts should be open now, but only the highest ones are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

If we're gettin' bad Winter weather could this mean that we could be in for an awesome Summer in 2016? Like it happened in Winter 2013/14 and Winter 1994/95 and both of the Summers that followed were sweet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Swiftly

What's your altitude snaps? 8-900m?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

sryanbruen wrote: »
    If we're gettin' bad Winter weather could this mean that we could be in for an awesome Summer in 2016? Like it happened in Winter 2013/14 and Winter 1994/95 and both of the Summers that followed were sweet!

I like your thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Swiftly wrote: »
    What's your altitude snaps? 8-900m?

657m

Today the snow level is approx 800m. 850 temp of -2 and air temp currently 1.8c. Behind our house the land rises to 1252m so the snow is about 200m above us. we had wet snow today but nothing to get excited about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

With the constant cold Atlantic flows coming off a cold Atlantic sea. Would,nt be surprised to see scenes like this below.

Remember this!!!

new2.jpg
    click image upload

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Further spells of wet weather this week. But it's December in Ireland, it's to be expected!

gfs-2-30.png?6
    gfs-2-60.png?6
    gfs-2-96.png?6

This Friday just gone has been the only day so far this December that I haven't recorded at least 0.2mm of rainfall

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Just seen the bbc forecast (who i must say was fairly spot on with their weekend forecast on friday morning) for the week ahead, doesn't look to bad hopefully, they said the jet stream is straight over us christmas week, so doesnt look like there'll be much change in this depressingly crap weather

As ya can see in my graph from October 24 - December 12, it has been an awfully long period of wet weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

As ya can see in my graph from October 24 - December 12, it has been an awfully long period of wet weather!

Can you extend the graph back to the 1st of September?
    I recall September and October as both being very dry and mild, but not sure if that's backed up by the stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The ski resorts will be facing financial ruin over the xmas holliers period by the look of this, records to tumble if this happens!

ECM0-192.GIF?13-12

josip wrote: »
    Can you extend the graph back to the 1st of September?
    I recall September and October as both being very dry and mild, but not sure if that's backed up by the stats.

I can only do it from

1 September - 8 December then, due to the maximum of data allowed in one graph

5.85m (2009) is the record level for the Shannon at Athlone going back to 1952.

Currently at 5.65m and rising.

png

Very mild week ahead! My expected minimums and maximums

Monday: 10c, 7c
    Tuesday: 11c, 8c
    Wednesday: 14c, 11c
    Thursday: 14c, 12c
    Friday: 12c, 7c

Very dull lately!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Very mild week ahead! My expected minimums and maximums

Monday: 10c, 7c
    Tuesday: 11c, 8c
    Wednesday: 14c, 11c
    Thursday: 14c, 12c
    Friday: 12c, 7c

I'll be keeping an eye on the results! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

5.85m (2009) is the record level for the Shannon at Athlone going back to 1952.

Currently at 5.65m and rising.

Where does he get those wonderful graphs? :)

Where does he get those wonderful graphs? :)

On the OPW website http://waterlevel.ie/0000026027/0001/

It seems like the only interesting thing on the models for the coming week is this :

78-778UK_hiy8.GIF

14 degrees at midnight in mid-December? Surely this has to be a nighttime record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

It seems like the only interesting thing on the models for the coming week is this :

78-778UK_hiy8.GIF

14 degrees at midnight in mid-December? Surely this has to be a nighttime record.

Well 18.1 C is the highest December daytime high so I'd say 14 would have a good shot at a nighttime high!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

18.1 is the highest daytime high?
    Let me comprehend this....you could wear shorts on that day?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Carnacalla wrote: »

You could wear shorts on the top of Mount Everest. Might not be a great idea....but you could do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Carnacalla wrote: »

Well you could have if you wanted to!! Personally I'd wait for around 25C to break out the hot pants and start smuggling budgies!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

:(:(

leahyl wrote: »
    :(:(

How about 15? :P

15121700_1400.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

If its snow you want,signs from inside the UKMO are not good,way into January

https://twitter.com/fergieweather/status/676336366444265472

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

.. to be expected really, we should know by now that once the zonal express gets going its like an unstoppable runaway train! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

https://twitter.com/fergieweather/status/676336366444265472
    Warnings out for heavy snow in central Scotland for the coming days..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    Warnings out for heavy snow in central Scotland for the coming days..

Eh no...just today...
    Not the coming days
    our mild weather is sweeping up to all parts of Scotland overnight
    This weather front will be preceded by snow there even in Glasgow, but it will be mild everywhere even on the top of the cairngorms by tomorrow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement