Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

.. to be expected really, we should know by now that once the zonal express gets going its like an unstoppable runaway train! :(
    I wouldn't say that,in a way its good that the jet is on top of us for so long as when it does move,probably mid January, it wont be too late for some spectacular results if you get me?
    Mother Nature is a great equaliser and this record run of mostly mild and wet will need equalising eventually,getting the mild and wet so early in play leaves room for useable cold later,if you get me?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Eh no...just today...
    Not the coming days
    our mild weather is sweeping up to all parts of Scotland overnight
    This weather front will be preceded by snow there even in Glasgow, but it will be mild everywhere even on the top of the cairngorms by tomorrow
    ahh just going what the family are saying this morning that next few days have to be bad with snow,cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    ahh just going what the family are saying this morning that next few days have to be bad with snow,cheers

Clearly,they haven't looked at the forecast then!
    Today is the end game for a while for (at least) lowland snow in Scotland
    If you're there,Id get out enjoying it today
    It should be quite special for a while this evening until this front(over us now) passes bringing a rapid thaw
    The back end of the front will turn to rain but a good bit of extra snow from it first,even in Glasgow

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ferretr33

So sick of this mild mucky weather and trips to the doctors with sick kids, At this point all I am looking out for is a bit of frost and couple of dry days and beautiful fresh frosty mornings, So much so the bit of frost we had Saturday evening for a bit I was like a child at Christmas rubbing the top of the car had to stop short at hugging it as her self was looking out the window looking very bewildered at me lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

The water sea temperature Saturday was 3 times higher than the air temperature.
    It's a bizarre scenario

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It's a bizarre scenario

?? A bizarre comment considering the sea temperature is usually higher than the air temperatures throughout much of the winter months?

Yeah I know but to a person who's not as well up as you on the weather it's bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

It seems to be most of Europe that is getting all of this mild muck. When you look around the temperatures have been averaging around:

8 degrees in Stockholm
    13 degrees in London
    10 degrees in Paris
    Even a friend of mine lives in morzine in the alps and it has been around 7 degrees!
    Moscow has only been around 0, which is unusually mild for them

When you look over in the U.S, New York has been up near 18 degrees this week !! Even Chicago has been up near 14 degrees over the past week. Don't know what is going on with the weather???

It look as if the likes of Cavan and Leitrim this week have had more snow than all the above combined. Ireland is doing pretty well for snow in comparison to the UK and parts of the Nordics. really wish the temperatures would drop, really am over the mild muck !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Yeah I know but to a person who's not as well up as you on the weather it's bizarre.

How is it :pac:

Water retains heat better than land and absorbs a lot more of it without increasing as much in temperature as say a solid would. Is this not common knowledge?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Very similar to Christmas week of 2013?

The two storms of the 23rd and 27th of that year

Here in Europe we were just saying over the weekend this autumn and winters weather patterns are identical to 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Ian Fergusson, respected pro forecaster tweeting no signal for cold weather into early Jan. Might be a few brief colder shots, but it is looking dismal for coldies in FI.

MidMan25 wrote:
    Water retains heat better than land and absorbs a lot more of it without increasing as much in temperature as say a solid would. Is this not common knowledge?

You answered your own question,there's no point in asking me.

Thanks for helping me out and putting me straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It's a bizarre scenario

Just to be ott pedantic about this but the sea was not 3 times warmer, as this is impossible. If the air was 3 °C and the sea was 12 °C then it was really only 3.25% warmer because we must use Kelvins in this calculation.

3 °C = 276.15 K
    12 °C = 285.15 K

The ratio of the two is 1.0325 (i.e. +3.25%)

[/pedantic]

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Just to be ott pedantic about this but the sea was not 3 times warmer, as this is impossible. If the air was 3 °C and the sea was 12 °C then it was really only 3.25% warmer because we must use Kelvins in this calculation.

3 °C = 276.15 K
    12 °C = 285.15 K

The ratio of the two is 1.0325 (i.e. +3.25%)

[/pedantic]

Great. That means now there's even less difference between our summer and winter temps than I thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

This feels like one of the dirtiest days weather wise this year. (Dublin 16).

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

gfs not showing any major rain as far as the weekend.........and then we could get a fair bit or else England and Wales will!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

temps could peak at 15C or even 16C this week, thats warmer than it was for much of July this year in the west. So far this year all ive seen is 2 frosts and a shower of sleet, not a flake of snow or a proper white ground frost in sight so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Aimsir

Not discussing our forecasters here just a question. both Ring and MT have mentioned a major storm first week in jan 2016, any more certainty on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Aimsir wrote: »
    Not discussing our forecasters here just a question. both Ring and MT have mentioned a major storm first week in jan 2016, any more certainty on this?

A stopped clock is right twice a day. Best taken with a full box of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Gonzo wrote: »
    temps could peak at 15C or even 16C this week, thats warmer than it was for much of July this year in the west. So far this year all ive seen is 2 frosts and a shower of sleet, not a flake of snow or a proper white ground frost in sight so far.

Indeed, would love a period of ice days and high pressure. Not often we get it but would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭esposito

Pangea wrote: »
    Indeed, would love a period of ice days and high pressure. Not often we get it but would be nice.

This pattern has gotta change sometime. Would be brilliant if this was to happen New Year's Eve/ Day period. I most certainly do not want storms around then. Come on the arctic air, make your presence felt!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

esposito wrote: »
    This pattern has gotta change sometime.

It doesn't. Wouldn't be the first winter of predominantly mild and damp weather. We could get through to April with an excess of both and barely see a hard frost. Such is life on the margins!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looks windy Thursday and again Saturday. In my opinion a yellow alert may be issued, but nothing too severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭esposito

Larbre34 wrote: »
    We could get through to April with an excess of both and barely see a hard frost

That will not happen! (Hoping it won't:rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Has that New Zealand fella been on Matt Coopers show at all this autumn/winter?

As for the weather - I've had the curtains drawn all day. Why let the light out, there is none coming in! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It is so warm.. 13c

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This time 6 years ago, I recorded a minimum temperature of -6.1c. Tonight I am at 9.1c so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Rain in Dublin today:
    maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Larbre34 wrote: »
    We could get through to April with an excess of both and barely see a hard frost.
    I'm almost certain that the lowest temperature recorded in Ireland since Dec 2010 was in April of 2013.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭pauldry

Nah id say mt is spot on

After dec 24 the frosts will be more prevalent

Then prob next year jan and feb will be cold and of course may june july and august

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement