Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Can we have a get-together and pray to the weather gods?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

josip wrote: »
    Indoor soccer was tough last night with the heat and humidity.
    It's not heated, so in winter it would normally be an extra layer and dry throats.
    Last night, one of the lads was covered in sweat after 20 minutes.

God help them if they were to play indoor in a place like Brazil

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

I was cleaning up a garden today and the lobelia was flowering and snow drops were emerging.

I've been gardening since 1994 and never seen anything like it.

Wasn't 1947 similar with lots of rain and very mild temperature's....
    We have snow drops here too! The grass is growing still too, just to wet to cut. Temps wise, apart from a few cold days there in November and early December there isn't much of a difference between now and the summer just gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Padster90s wrote: »
    We have snow drops here too! The grass is growing still too, just to wet to cut. Temps wise, apart from a few cold days there in November and early December there isn't much of a difference between now and the summer just gone.

Aye,I've been hearing bird song all day,Typically a spring or summer phenomenon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Padster90s wrote: »
    .... there isn't much of a difference between now and the summer just gone.
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. On July 15th last the temperature got down to 3.9c at Dublin Airport, tonight's minima will be up to 10 DEGREES higher than that!!

• Advertisement

Nice cool 13.3c here. In fairness in December this is not something I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭esposito

I wouldn't be too sure about that. On July 15th last the temperature got down to 3.9c at Dublin Airport, tonight's minima will be up to 10 DEGREES higher than that!!

Now thats just revolting! It's just so wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Can we have a get-together and pray to the weather gods?

Or, we could give Redsunset's Snow Dance a whirl :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

This is the worst type of weather for me, mild damp and dreary. Give me a -3 bright frosty day anytime over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

leahyl wrote: »
    As you said it's too early yet, but are there any signs of a major storm for Christmas week??
    Yes a bit early but this evening's ECM says YES.

ECM1-240.GIF?16-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I just love not forking out money for heating my house. The longer it stays like this the better...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yes a bit early but this evening's ECM says YES.

ECM1-240.GIF?16-0

That scares me :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

sryanbruen wrote: »
    That scares me :eek:

Apart from rain bands it would have to shift a few 100km east to effect Ireland.

13.8c here in West Clare now. Today's max was 14.1c.

Shorts and T-Shirt anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I just love not forking out money for heating my house. The longer it stays like this the better...

The responsible adult in me agrees but the irresponsible 10 year old in me wants snows!!

Hell, even oil prices are super low now, no better time for snowageddon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Shorts and T-Shirt anyone?

sure is, global warming how are ya

fryup wrote: »
    sure is, global warming how are ya

Global Warming? Why was our summer so ****e?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Global Warming? Why was our summer so ****e?

In a typically Irish way, we were one of the few places on the planet with cooler than average temperatures in June. :p

201506.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Hit 15.5C here today and the min stands at 12.1C; nice dry day with some sunshine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It's incredible the mild weather...and seemingly endless! The strat polar vortex looks invincible, despite a few attacks. Some glimmers it might shift towards Western Russia towards week 1.

I am the eternal optimist though, so Im gunning for a north-westerly shot to give a few people a bit of whiteness on Christmas day... If any of my peers read this theyll laugh however, as unfortunately all the signals are for incessant mild and wet conditions :(

Although, Ireland's mean temps look only slightly above!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭pauldry

15c at 9pm at dublin airport

If the mildest air had come tomorrow instead of tonight we cudda seen 17c ah well . Well settle for nighttime temperature s of 12c above normal.

Went runnin in sligo and it was humid with moon out.

Id be fairly certain now that climate change is completwly irreversible now. Wetter windier warmer winters

Sodden soggy sultry summers

Tomorrow cud be 17c or 18c in Scotland and england

We got ours tonight

14c till next Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I think we're seeing a strong El Niño influence across the northern hemisphere this season. The Ridge-Trough-Ridge setup across North America is a common theme during El Niño, and as a consequence we have a similar Ridge-Trough-Ridge across the Atlantic and into Europe. With our position to the east of the trough it's been - and will continue to be - mild and unsettled for the forseeable.

We need some amplification to set off something in the stratosphere, but the effects of this could take weeks to filter down. I think MT's winter forecast is proving to be remarkably accurate so far and I would agree that it could be several weeks before we see a flip in the pattern.

The El Niño is now peaking and some indices have already diminished. It has not been a record event, as some have claimed, but falls within the top 3 of the last 50 years and will continue well into 2016. Maybe a shift in the MJO from its persistent phase 3/4 over the past month could kickstart a shift and flip us out of this pattern, but for now just enjoy the mild weather and don't be worrying that we'll get no snow. I feel a snowy Feb and March coming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭Speak Now

pauldry wrote: »

Id be fairly certain now that climate change is completwly irreversible now. Wetter windier warmer winters

Sodden soggy sultry summers

Ah come on Paul in very recent times we've had cold winters and good summer's. It's Ireland where the Atlantic rules the roost more often than not which is why we chase the summer and winter extremes. Writing off future summer's when 13/14 were decent is ludicrous really, similarly writing of all current winters due to current zonality. Its not a dig at you but the doom and gloom posts are getting a bit tiresome to read. I can tell you one thing if we were guaranteed winter freezes and great summer's every year then this weather forum wouldn't be any where near as active!

P.S Not to mention El Nino

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

I see on Irish Weather Online we're in store for fine sand from the Sahara.
    All we want is a white Christmas, what do we get? The effing Sahara Desert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

I think we're seeing a strong El Niño influence across the northern hemisphere this season. The Ridge-Trough-Ridge setup across North America is a common theme during El Niño, and as a consequence we have a similar Ridge-Trough-Ridge across the Atlantic and into Europe. With our position to the east of the trough it's been - and will continue to be - mild and unsettled for the forseeable.

We need some amplification to set off something in the stratosphere, but the effects of this could take weeks to filter down. I think MT's winter forecast is proving to be remarkably accurate so far and I would agree that it could be several weeks before we see a flip in the pattern.

The El Niño is now peaking and some indices have already diminished. It has not been a record event, as some have claimed, but falls within the top 3 of the last 50 years and will continue well into 2016. Maybe a shift in the MJO from its persistent phase 3/4 over the past month could kickstart a shift and flip us out of this pattern, but for now just enjoy the mild weather and don't be worrying that we'll get no snow. I feel a snowy Feb and March coming on.

It's very difficult to enjoy mild weather when it's permanently damp or wet as it has been in Cork for what seems like ages. Seems like even when the rest of the country is dry we get at least some drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

seriously, 3rd night in a row the winds having been strong and lashing rain. can't remember the last time i saw the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The GFS ensembles show the potential for some stormy weather on the 21/22nd. Too soon for specifics though.

Mean winds off the northwest coast:

table_mwo9.png

Personally I have been enjoying the exceptionally high December temps lately. Find it much more relaxing and less restrictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Personally I have been enjoying the exceptionally high December temps lately. Find it much more relaxing and less restrictive.

I prefer the cold and having nice frosty mornings, for me the weather adds to the Christmas feeling, these temps really would make you think we were in spring, not the middle of December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

But we usually pay for this well into Spring and Early summer:( - eg. May bank holiday weekends in recent years have been notable for severe ground frosts and general winteryness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement