Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Seen a hedgehog in the the garden today, it should be well into hibernation by now! At least when the temps fall back next week there not going to plummet and finish any animals the mild temps woke from hibernation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is so mild. Yesterday a huge fly came out of hibernation here.. cat had a wonderful time chasing it! MORE rain falling though...

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

I miss frost. That crisp grass and fresh air :(

Me too!! And we need some good, honest-to-goodness freezing to chase off all the crappy bugs that are doing the rounds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Storm 10

One thing I noticed is my bird feeder is not being used by any bird at the moment, its so mild they don't need nuts with all the soft ground and lots of worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Aaaaaaand it's lashing again!!!

So much for getting the grass cut today while it was dry. It'll be up to our knees soon. Who knew we'd need to cut it on 18th December ??? We didn't even do that last year, bad and all as the weather was (cold wise I mean)! 😂😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Storm 10 wrote: »
    One thing I noticed is my bird feeder is not being used by any bird at the moment, its so mild they don't need nuts with all the soft ground and lots of worms.

I noticed that during the week too. We've one particular Robin that is a regular in our back garden, I've never seen him look as fat! Every time I see him, he's a worm or insect in his mouth. Our B&Q nut mix is beneath him!

Put up the Chrimbo tree in my mum's last Sat in the company of a big fat juicy wasp, is this the 1st time an Irish wasp has flew around a Chrimbo tree in Ireland?

Yesterday a huge fly was buzzing around in here; I see him every time the temperature goes up, Cat was berserk trying to catch it..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

2011 still felt warmer than this December at Grange :cool:. I reached 14.9c on Christmas Day that year.

So much for that Atlantic blob bringing cold weather.

On another note my red geraniums are turning from red to pink.

Photosynthesis is really getting confused with this mild weather and lack of sunlight.

Some shrubs are also very striking looking especially some hebes and similar waxy leaved shrubs.

The mahonia flowered here in October and i still have roses and marigolds alongside the primroses.. BUT as an old wan .. this mild weather is a burden eased for fuel etc. Grateful for it.

I also find this interesting. Easter has a greater chance of snowing than Christmas - though in my records, I have not one Easter with snowfall - I've had some pretty cold ones though - Easter 2013 - big example. January and February have a much higher chance of snowfall than December and both of these months have higher maximum temperatures than December in my records.

December: 16.5c - 4th December 2007
    January: 18.4c - 10th January 1998
    February: 17.7c - 15th February 1998

I just find it odd and ironic.

• Advertisement

It just gets weirder and weirder!! Gerry Murphy has just said that Malin Head has recorded a Dec record of 16c ......... but wait for it ... this temp was recorded at 4am!!

That's above the highest UK all-time minimum temperature of 15.0c on 12th December 1994 :p

I have had up to only 24.4 hours of sunshine up to the 17th. What's the highest amount of sunshine, a place in Ireland has seen so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I miss frost. That crisp grass and fresh air :(

Yeah that friggin grass will probably start growing again soon!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Met Éireann said a new record temperature for December for Malin Head, Co Donegal was reached at midnight last night when temperatures reached 16C. http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1218/754847-weather/

Just been putting cinders etc on the drive here at the bottom. It is grassy and although a slight slope is so wet and sodden my small car slips and skids trying to get in. Never had this happen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ive noticed its warmer outside our house than inside

Also im a very cold morning person

This week im sweating on getting out of bed

Noticed due to the roasting December the yearly average is back up to par

In sligo wev had jan to sept below normal

Then october normal

That left the temperatures nearly 2c below normal but now november n december mean wer at 0.4 below.

John Eagleton said it all evens out over the year. He should be a weatherman.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

pauldry wrote: »
    Ive noticed its warmer outside our house than inside

Also im a very cold morning person

This week im sweating on getting out of bed

Noticed due to the roasting December the yearly average is back up to par

In sligo wev had jan to sept below normal

Then october normal

That left the temperatures nearly 2c below normal but now november n december mean wer at 0.4 below.

John Eagleton said it all evens out over the year. He should be a weatherman.

I'm a FIRM believer in it all averaging out
    I was very worried after the really long dry spell in October what nove!ner would bring............we will get a cold dry spell in next month or so
    we have to!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Storm 10 wrote: »

Mine it's the opposite I had 15 to 20 birds just a few minutes ago. I have to fill up the seeds, nuts and fat balls daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I don't think these two events can be reliably compared using MSLP as they occurred during different phases of the PDO and AMO. The '82 event is probably more similar to this event in that the PDO and AMO are both positive in both cases. In '97 the AMO was negative.

I think they can be as reliably compared as any one El Nino month/year can be when set against another. It really doesn't matter what pressure level you look at, the fact remains that while upper patterns may conform to a 'type' during El Nino winters in certain parts of the world that are directly influenced by the event (SE Asia/N America etc), the 'average' patterns that are oft generated for the the N Atlantic and Europe region are tenuous at best, and mask a vast amount of spread that occur from one El Nino event to another. As you rightly say, the PDO and AMO are big factors to consider also (more so the latter) but this just sort of proves my main point, in there is just too many variables at play in any one winter that influence the N. Atlantic pattern during the winter or any other season to be able to say that this pattern or that pattern is directly down to El Nino. Just way too much chaos going on.

New Moon

km79 wrote: »
    I'm a FIRM believer in it all averaging out
    I was very worried after the really long dry spell in October what nove!ner would bring............we will get a cold dry spell in next month or so
    we have to!

All hopes up km79 for a cold Winter overall after this ****e miserably warm ol' December

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very heavy rain, I'd say Incessant here in West Clare atm!
    14.2c, Shannon airport reporting 15c atm.

If it keeps up for much longer, I'd imagine flash floods are very likely, some very large puddles and waterflows in the outside of the house now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Birds singing in Lusk / Ballyboughal right now, no wind. I'm scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

snubbleste wrote: »
    Met Éireann said a new record temperature for December for Malin Head, Co Donegal was reached at midnight last night when temperatures reached 16C. http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1218/754847-weather/

That's incorrect, it actually reached 16 °C (15.6 °C) at 4 am Thursday morning. At midnight last night it was 10.4 °C.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?ind=03980&lang=en&decoded=yes&ndays=2&ano=2015&mes=12&day=18&hora=18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Heavy rain in Galway now

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I have had up to only 24.4 hours of sunshine up to the 17th. What's the highest amount of sunshine, a place in Ireland has seen so far?

Dublin Airport 18.2
    Belfast Aldergrove 16.9
    Shannon Airport 12.8
    Casement 11.8
    Knock >11.1
    Cork Airport 7.4

Dublin Airport 18.2
    Belfast Aldergrove 16.9
    Shannon Airport 12.8
    Casement 11.8
    Knock >11.1
    Cork Airport 7.4

Jesus christ :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Jesus christ :eek:

I think that's a daily high :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Is it summer or winter here? Met says 15 degrees :eek: It feels like a summer night, it feels so stuffy with the window open :(

I think that's a daily high :confused:

They are the total sunshine hours for December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Is it summer or winter here? Met says 15 degrees :eek: It feels like a summer night, it feels so stuffy with the window open :(

It really is quite remarkable. To be honest, I don't mind it though. If we're not going to have interesting snowy weather then I'll happily take this mildness and save a bit on heating bills!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement