Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It really is quite remarkable. To be honest, I don't mind it though. If we're not going to have interesting snowy weather then I'll happily take this mildness and save a bit on heating bills!

A bit of a difference at our latitude the other side of the Atlantic. Max temperatures below zero.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&esc=8&nav=Yes&lat=60N&lon=030W&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2015&mes=12&day=18hora=18&vtx=Tx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Got 16 degrees on the button in d12 . Amazing for December at nearly 12 am

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Is it summer or winter here? Met says 15 degrees :eek: It feels like a summer night, it feels so stuffy with the window open :(

Well, it's 15.6C and dry with a light breeze here now.

That would be a warm night in July! (Especially last July)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Met Eireann also said after tonight's 6 news that it was "to get much colder from Christmas day"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭pauldry

ya you see Met Eireann are festive people like me

Just say it will be cold and snowy and Jesus might bring it or Santa or someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭pauldry

Looked at the papers weather reports from round the world ... the independent i think it was... and the coldest place at this stage of Winter yesterday out of all the cities was somewhere in Switzerland at 1c. There was snow nowhere.:eek:

I remember looking at the same cities for yesterday every day as a child in the 80s and every day there was places -15c -18c -17c etc

This year there are none.

I remember in 1994 and 1998 looking and the lowest were -5c and thinking jeez its warm this year.

I know im a saddo but I used to be obsessed with yesterdays weather in the independent before I got the internet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Remember all this warmth when we're walking around with heavy coats and watching leaves turn black from frost next May;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Phoenix park reading 16 degrees at 1.00am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Damn birds chirping last night and tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Right it's official, the weather is fu@ked! I seen people out tonight in their Christmas t-shirts...the weather has lost the run of itself! Smoking areas didn't have the outdoor heating on either, which for the pubs I go to is very much not normal in December. Still though, you could get used to it! Reminds me of being in Auckland NZ a few years ago, this kind of weather is their usual winter weather, and its subtropical there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wild wet night. have altered my plans accordingly as was heading for Mizen Head to walk the headland..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Risk of flooding Monday and Tuesday mentioned on the Met Eireann forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Uk heading for a record breaking 18 degrees today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Uk heading for a record breaking 18 degrees today

So no pre Christmas snow then?😊

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

amazing how warm it feels outside now, the wind is actually warm. I don't remember ever having a December day feel like this before. It feels about 20C outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Seems to be a Europe wide heatwave.

Currently at 12:50/13:00 (Airport readings):

Dublin: 15c
    London-City: 16c
    Newcastle: 16c
    Düsseldorf: 15c
    Frankfurt 13c
    Alicante: 21c
    Krakow: 11c (Usually well snowed in at this stage)
    Wroclaw: 13c (Same as Krakow)
    Amsterdam: 14c
    Oslo: 5c (Oslo is usually painfully cold and guaranteed snow at this time of year)
    Stockholm: 7c (Same as Olso)
    Munich: 8c (Snow is common in DEC usually)
    Rovaniemi: -2c (Northern Finland, this is where Lapland is considered to be and at this time of year (Lots of charters from DUB recently) it's generally well below -10c at this time of year)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Seems to be a Europe wide heatwave.

Currently at 12:50/13:00 (Airport readings):

Dublin: 15c
    London-City: 16c
    Newcastle: 16c
    Düsseldorf: 15c
    Frankfurt 13c
    Alicante: 21c
    Krakow: 11c (Usually well snowed in at this stage)
    Wroclaw: 13c (Same as Krakow)
    Amsterdam: 14c
    Oslo: 5c (Oslo is usually painfully cold and guaranteed snow at this time of year)
    Stockholm: 7c (Same as Olso)
    Munich: 8c (Snow is common in DEC usually)
    Rovaniemi: -2c (Northern Finland, this is where Lapland is considered to be and at this time of year (Lots of charters from DUB recently) it's generally well below -10c at this time of year)

And I think most of America and Canada are having a milder than normal winter, many golfers wouldn't get to play from October to March in Northern states, but this year they are still playing in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

Senna wrote: »
    And I think most of America and Canada are having a milder than normal winter, many golfers wouldn't get to play from October to March in Northern states, but this year they are still playing in December.

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day will be in the low twenties in DC, 17C - 21C range for Philadelphia and New York. Has that ever happened before? I'm not well versed on US records.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Was out for a jog earlier, it was like a early summer day. Very warm wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

New York has had a remarkable year.

Coldest month / February on record
    Warmest December on record

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,357 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Friend of mine lives in Morzine in the French Alps. 17*C as per a picture he sent me. They'd normally be under 2 feet of snow by now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

http://www.nnvl.noaa.gov/images/globaldata/SnowIceCover_Daily.png

Looks like it's western Europe and Eastern US that are experiencing the least of the cold weather, is the Atlantic warmer than normal?

Edit, changed it to a link, on mobile so PITA

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

think you should resize that pic first or just leave the link ^^^
    lol

23rd continues to looking windy, though not very strong, on the 12Z GFS. Still a couple of days to nail it down exactly.

102-289UK.GIF?19-12

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Am...that's 4 days away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Dry, good sunny spells and a high of 15.8C here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Global temp anomaly map for December so far. According the Gerry Fleming on the RTE 1 news earlier, this unusual warmth is due in part to a combination of El Nino and global warming.

372238.PNG

New Moon

Still looking windy on the evening of the 23rd on the 18Z GFS. Though the strongest wind will end up further north on this track.

Still time for some changes in track and intensity.

96-289UK_lhd9.GIF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Dry, good sunny spells and a high of 15.8C here!

Lashing rain all day in Arklow and still at it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Some stations on the West coast of France currently at midnight are recording over 20c!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement