Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Grange so far for January is not too bad!

Mean temperature: 5.7c (+1.7c above the monthly LTA)
    Rainfall: 14.4mm (24% of the monthly LTA)
    Sunshine: 10 hours (22% of the monthly LTA)

Slightly wetter, sunnier and warmer than normal.

Another similarity this Winter with Winter 1997 / 98 is a record breaking warm month.

Winter 1997 / 98: February 1998 - the warmest on record
    Winter 2015 / 16: December 2015 - the warmest on record

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Another similarity this Winter with Winter 1997 / 98 is a record breaking warm month.

Winter 1997 / 98: February 1998 - the warmest on record
    Winter 2015 / 16: December 2015 - the warmest on record

Ah but the month is different, relatively meaningless IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

:D Meanwhile in Poland:

373653.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Graces7 wrote: »
    New tourist attraction; the Venice of Ireland..

wrong i think, was not the t-shoch opening a little china there a few years ago, mighty publicity, chinese digniterys, now he has it ready for the paddy fields, the can be self sustainable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

i had to take a patient to their gp this morning, i spent an hour waiting, so i was amusing my self by watching a crow trying to put twigs theough a gaurd on a chimeny pipe without sucess

• Registered Users Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

if, of course the big if, the current charts verify, i might have to come back for a snow holiday in 11 days time. There is no way i can stay away, if i'm reading reports from mt cranium about an imminent greenland express set to descend on Ireland ala 2010:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Reports of roads locally getting very cut up during the prolonged wet spell. One submerged pothole near Camp village on the Dingle road being responsible for numerous burst tyres ( two on some ). A person I know came across a row of aabout 10 cars pulled in after the pothole with their hazzards on, all it seems changing their tyres :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭pauldry

Rest of January looks not as severe rainwise.

Still above normal rain in parts but the relentless storms and rain will go back to normal for a while.

Colder showery regime for next 7 to 10 days with temperatures in the range 5 to 9c. Dont think rain volumes are likely to be as high with colder temperatures.

At last some flood relief MAY happen

flutered wrote: »
    wrong i think, was not the t-shoch opening a little china there a few years ago, mighty publicity, chinese digniterys, now he has it ready for the paddy fields, the can be self sustainable

Spent quite a while figuring out what this was :) found it quite amusing when I did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

In the centre of the low pressure here with dense and low temps!

Some heavy rain just off or brushing off of the East Coast atm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Carnacalla wrote: »
    So heavy rain just off or brushing off of the East Coast atm.

Bah!

It was looking good for the first dry day since the 27th....lovely sunny day with little breeze; high 7.1C, currently partly cloudy and 4.5C.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

From 2:40 onward will be of interest to some people I think.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/35228964

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It would appear there is significant guidance to suggest we will enter the first 'cold spell' of the winter next week. Even the remainder of this week looks rather chilly inland at night, with some frost likely where skies clear.

With a southerly tracking jet-stream , it looks like some ridge will occur in the mid-Atlantic next weekend with some decent height rises over the Pole too.

What seems more than likely is we will have a cool/cold shot from the north/north-west next week/from Monday on-wards for 3-5 days. Perhaps bringing the first snowfall to many places, although current forecasts would suggest lying snow is more favoured on hills and in the north/west. Although this is not precluding a widespread snowfall, just isn't in the models at the moment, but details can be looked at later.

Beyond this period is interesting, analogues and pattern indicators would suggest a return to more seasonal conditions after this cold spell, but there are continuing signs of a Arctic High developing from day 10.

ECH1-240.GIF?04-0

If we begin to see some height rises over Greenland around this stage, there is potential we could enter a significant cold phase, and that is before we begin to look at the potential for a Stratospheric Vortex split later this winter.

Interesting times ahead, lets hope the jet-stream doesn't ruin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

It would appear there is significant guidance to suggest we will enter the first 'cold spell' of the winter next week. Even the remainder of this week looks rather chilly inland at night, with some frost likely where skies clear.

With a southerly tracking jet-stream , it looks like some ridge will occur in the mid-Atlantic next weekend with some decent height rises over the Pole too.

What seems more than likely is we will have a cool/cold short from the north/north-west next from Monday onwards for 3-5 days. Perhaps bringing the first snowfall to many places, although current forecasts would suggest lying snow is more favoured on hills and in the north/west. Although this is not precluding a widespread snowfall, just isn't in the models at the moment, but details can be looked at later.

Beyond this period is interesting, analogues and pattern indicators would suggest a return to more seasonal conditions after this cold spell, but there is contiuing signs of a Arctic High developing from day 10.

ECH1-240.GIF?04-0

If we begin to see some height rises over Greenland around this stage, there is potential we could enter a significant cold phase, and that is before we begin to look at the potential for a Stratospheric Vortex split later this winter.

John Hammond hinting at whats happening. Winters on the way...........

@Captain Snow

I am a Meteorologist myself, so I didn't just copy it, I swear :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Lashing rain in the north east at the minute, just cant get a break from it for longer then 24hrs

John Hammond hinting at whats happening. Winters on the way...........

Well I am speechless.... :):):):):):):):D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Great graphics on the BBC there. And nice to see them explain their reasoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Torrential Rain in Naas now

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Reports of roads locally getting very cut up during the prolonged wet spell. One submerged pothole near Camp village on the Dingle road being responsible for numerous burst tyres ( two on some ). A person I know came across a row of aabout 10 cars pulled in after the pothole with their hazzards on, all it seems changing their tyres :o

Interesting.. I had a dramatic front tyre blowout yesterday....Apparently the cut by a stone on the wall kept pressure until I stopped ( to recycle tins and bottles) then just blew.. Must have been been between Killarney and Kilcummin and the roads there are in a terrible state.. Bread and water for me this week as the tyre is a write off :mad:.....thankfully I got help as although I know how to change a wheel I cannot any longer do the job.. then the jack seized and the spare was soft...Happy New Year!

Chancy glancy weather.. yesterday grateful for respites between deluges.... dark clouds then with golden edges. Hours free of rain when the tyre blew....then again when I stopped in a favourite lay by between Killarney and Moll's Gap. The lake a calm shimmering and the dark mountains etched with that sharp clarity that presages heavy rain, and sure enough by Ladies View, the overflowing lakes of Killarney were veiled again. Time at the beach to gather sand and again flat calm beauty.

What seems more than likely is we will have a cool/cold shot from the north/north-west next week/from Monday on-wards for 3-5 days. Perhaps bringing the first snowfall to many places, although current forecasts would suggest lying snow is more favoured on hills and in the north/west. Although this is not precluding a widespread snowfall, just isn't in the models at the moment, but details can be looked at later.

Beyond this period is interesting, analogues and pattern indicators would suggest a return to more seasonal conditions after this cold spell, but there are continuing signs of a Arctic High developing from day 10.

ECH1-240.GIF?04-0

I know this is totally unscientific but I am sure there is snow ahead soon. Just " feels" that way....

@Graces7, you should write a blog, your posts are wonderfully descriptive!

@Graces7, you should write a blog, your posts are wonderfully descriptive!

Ah tis the subject matter that inspires.. I have 4 books in print and hoping to work on 2 more imminently..Kerry is pure poetry....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Graces7 wrote: »
    Ah tis the subject matter that inspires.. I have 4 books in print and hoping to work on 2 more imminently..Kerry is pure poetry....

Have to agree with weathercheck, what are the names of the books graces7?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

...... the morning after and the expected kick in the teeth!!

ECM1-216.GIF?05-12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,357 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Come on Azores High! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement