Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod Note
    As per DOCARCH's note above lets get this thread back to discussing the Weather Please
    If you want to send personal messages to another contributor then do so via PM and not on this thread

Thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fri and Sat look like great days for outdoors frosty hikes in the countryside before the wind and rain on Sunday. Looking much milder next week with no shortage of wind and rain by the looks of it.

VbYew15.png

FUuzjAJ.gif

ET6mW04.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Fri and Sat look like great days for outdoors frosty hikes in the countryside before the wind and rain on Sunday. Looking much milder next week with no shortage of wind and rain by the looks of it.

VbYew15.png

FUuzjAJ.gif

ET6mW04.gif

I wouldn't be to sure about much milder next week the way the euros are trending. Take those charts from the GFS 18z run with a pinch of salt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

photographic evidence of this morning

Blackbird, how are the Galtees looking today (Wednesday) ?

374741.jpeg

Funky looking clouds in South Dublin a few minutes ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Lovely crisp frosty morning in North drogheda. Everywhere is still white white. no rush as yet on a thaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Redbishop

Dónal wrote: »
    374741.jpeg

Funky looking clouds in South Dublin a few minutes ago

Wouldn't like to be at the butt end of that bugger.
    I m in north Longford this morning and its raining constantly and very cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Clear, crisp, cold this morning. A lovely morning for a country walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Clear, crisp, cold this morning. A lovely morning for a country walk.
    Where Musa Teeny Bugle?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

GFS again showing the risk of flooding returning from Sunday. ECM maintains high pressure and so has a more dry outlook.

bTY58KI.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

GFS again showing the risk of flooding returning from Sunday. ECM maintains high pressure and so has a more dry outlook.

bTY58KI.png

Well I can tell you the BBC news 24 forecast just now spoke of high pressure sunday and very very cold nights
    No sign of the GFS rain on the maps,if so,how poorly has it been performing lately and its software updated recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The trend is very much cold at the moment.
    Severe frost would be right
    As for floods.....no thanks gfs

BBC forecast shows the rain returning a few days later than the GFS. The models are not in agreement with that yet.

Always the risk of fronts stalling or moving very slowly, running into high pressure to our east, which increases the flooding risk. Might still be cold enough in the UK for this to fall as snow in places too.

CYlt109WcAAiwVm.png

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ferretr33

So much for our long awaited cold snap, just our standard Irish January by the looks of those GFS are any thing to go by for the forcible days ahead, looks like M.T has been on the money with his predictions so fair since we got back up on the Tread for winter 2015/2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

ferretr33 wrote: »
    looks like M.T has been on the money with his predictions so fair since we got back up on the Tread for winter 2015/2016.

Completely disagree. No mention of the record warm (not mild) temperatures for the first half of November. Then a barrage of storm after storm from end of November to December and record amounts of rain throughout the country leading to unprecedented flooding.

Each to their own but just reading the FI thread is a perfect example of how changeable the charts can be on a medium term scale not to mention the silliness of attempting long range. Sure if you mention enough brief possibilities, you will be right on some occasions as is a stopped clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Met Eireann:
    Next week: Becoming milder and unsettled with weather fronts moving in from the Atlantic.
    ... doesn't look like it according to ECM, used of course by M.E. :confused:- a bit contradictory??
    I suppose when in doubt just say "rain spreading from west"

ECH1-144.GIF?13-12

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just managed to get the first proper frost of winter, it melted by 10am with a shower of rain. Looks like more scattered outbreaks of rain for today followed by a cold night. This is about as exciting as this cold spell is gonna get.

Met Eireann:
    ... doesn't look like it according to ECM, used of course by M.E. :confused:- a bit contradictory??

ECH1-144.GIF?13-12

Because that forecast was based on yesterday's 12Z ECM.

ECM1-192.GIF?12

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭pad199207

Met Eireann:

ECH1-144.GIF?13-12

Very fluid situation so it's probably safe to go with the default Atlantic Fronts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

First day I had to wear gloves but I could have done without them.

Very thin layer of frost on the car and it was nearly fully melted by 9AM.

Naas seems to me milder than others areas around it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like we could be back to square one next week, atlantic firmly back in charge and plenty of mild and possibly wet and windy conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

Gonzo wrote: »
    looks like we could be back to square one next week, atlantic firmly back in charge and plenty of mild and possibly wet and windy conditions.

yeah it does seem the atlantic is winning the little war going into next week. It will be interesting to see if met.ie outlook summary stays the same as the models continue to flipflop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I said it elsewhere and nearly got run out of the place but this "spell" is typical January weather. No more no less....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

It's definitely not square one even it does happen. Northern hemisphere profile is nothing like pre Christmas now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I said it elsewhere and nearly got run out of the place but this "spell" is typical January weather. No more no less....

Weather enthusiasts will talk about the weather typical or not though. That's what we do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Not so sure about the Atlantic winning.
    If we take up to +96hr as relatively reliable. Then most model concensus is for 1035/1040 go directly over Ireland. Which would be nice compared tho Dec weather.

After that whom knows? I don't see much chance for cold. But HP ove us, I'll take that in winter and summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Not if the 0z ECM is right which has cold dry weather persisting through next week. The models are all over the place at the minute but ECM is generally the most accurate. I would say there's not much point looking past about 72-96 hours out at the moment, and certainly not into next week.

Upper air temperatures would suggest we are quite a bit below typical (bold red line)
    n2xRDcR.png

hopefully we will get a few more dry days after today, right now its lashing rain outside and very cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Photographic evidence of this cold spell ;)

Taken just now in Clontarf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Loving all the pretty hail showers temporarily coating things in white. Temp here currently a mild 5.5c in west Clare but just at the end of a nice hail shower!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement