Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Changes again on the 12Z GFS. Front stalls over the southwest and weakens over Sunday and Monday as the high fights back.

gfs-2-108.png?12

-10 uppers hanging on over SE England for a time.

gfs-0-126.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Changes again on the 12Z GFS. Front stalls over the southwest and weakens over Sunday and Monday as the high fights back.

gfs-2-108.png?12

-10 uppers hanging on over SE England for a time.

gfs-0-126.png?12
    Fronts stalls over southwest
    I don't like hearing those words

Big difference between GFS and UKMO at 144 hours.

GFS is cool and dry, UKMO has the Atlantic pushing fronts in over Ireland there on Tuesday but if the air is cold enough then that would be snow rather than rain.

gfs-0-144.png?12
    UW144-21.GIF?13-17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Lumi wrote: »
    Where Srameen?

Sorry, North East,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Sorry, North East,

Ah jaysus, give us a county at least!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    hopefully we will get a few more dry days after today, right now its lashing rain outside and very cold.

The weekend is looking very hopeful for that!

km79 wrote: »
    Fronts stalls over southwest
    I don't like hearing those words

It's not very heavy on this run though and weakens rather than dumping a lot of rain. Also, it wouldn't take much more to keep it off shore either.

108-779UK.GIF?13-12

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

National 7 day mean temp deviation since January 1st. Mean temps now into negative territory for the first time in weeks, despite the fact that daily temps themselves are not that extraordinary as this fall in the mean temps result more from the relatively low day time maxima rather than from notably low minima.

374792.PNG
    Data from Met Eireann.

The monthly mean for so far works out about average but should go below for a while over the next 5 days or so. Today was as mank as you get possible experience here today. Cold cold prolong rain showers all day with temps barely making it to 3.0c. I've seen snow falling with higher temps :mad:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,120 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The ECM seems to be stuck at +168 which is just as well - I don't want to see anymore!! Here comes the winter eater - the dreaded euro high!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Dav wrote: »
    Grace and Srameen - there's a pair of you in it. Stick each other on ignore or I'll simply site ban the pair of ye.

I had the tiniest bit of drink-related double vision while reading this and read it as "Stick each other on ignore or I'll simply bite the pair of ye."

It did seem rather too kinky for a mod post outside AH :pac:

In any event, have a look at the newly formed Subtropical Storm Alex, the first Atlantic storm of the year to get a name from the National Hurricane Centre. Its trajectory is very interesting, it looks like it's going to end up ploughing straight into Greenland. It doesn't appear to be showing up on any of Meteociel's models yet, however, which is... Strange.

Regardless, I would imagine that a strong low pressure system making its way up towards Greenland will at least temporarily put paid to any notion of wintry weather here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Tonights BBC MetO forecast going for "exceptionally"(coldest in years apparently!!) low night time temps over the UK and Ireland this weekend and much uncertainty about the middle of next week onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Sorry off topic but has anybody else noticed that this particular thread is getting "stuck" moving to the next page until 3 or 4 additional posts are made?

To confirm my point, I can't see the post I just wrote. The last post I can see is from 23.34 last night 13/1/2016

And now new page showing (sorry for rant but been experiencing this for last 2-3 weeks).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

And now new page showing (sorry for rant but been experiencing this for last 2-3 weeks).

You browsing it on your phone ?

All fine on desktop here using Chrome

You browsing it on your phone ?

All fine on desktop here using Chrome

Yep on iPhone or iPad but the main site not the app - maybe that's the difference. First world problem!! ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Major long-term problem over the past few months on all my mobile devices. Especially in fast moving threads such as this thread and the Flightradar24 thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Ox Mountains early this morning:

374892.jpg

And Truskmore, from the very distance:

374893.jpg

Something like an hour ago snow started to fall here, so no need to zoom a camera anymore. ;)

374894.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

joujoujou wrote: »
    Ox Mountains early this morning:

Fantastic Shots!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ferretr33

Beautiful pics thanks for sharing as it do not look like us pour sods in the east will not see snow just rain :(,so this is making my day thanks for all the pics :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

That's a stunning shot of the Ox mountains the colours in the foreground are so vibrant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

M2 buoy reporting a sea temp of 11.0 degrees in mid January. Quite high for this time of the year.

http://www.met.ie/latest/buoy.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

2yua9uu.jpg South Kerry early today 400 asl .. something icy sweeping in now. South Kerry mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ferretr33

Just started sleety snowy mix Navan/kells boarder

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Time for some Street light watching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Snowing in drogheda now. Wet snow at the min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Would one of you knowledgeable posters explain to me about storm Alex, it can't be in same category as the December storms because it eould have to begin with H or I, so I just wondered what makes this storm different, and should we be concerned? I've already had 2 fences down, a damaged shed and some lost patio furniture

Edit, sorry that sounds very insensitive compared to what some people have suffered. I didn't mean to moan at all just interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Would one of you knowledgeable posters explain to me about storm Alex, it can't be in same category as the December storms because it eould have to begin with H or I, so I just wondered what makes this storm different, and should we be concerned? I've already had 2 fences down, a damaged shed and some lost patio furniture
    Its 2016 so back to A for the American hurricane centre
    Don't worry it's heading to Greenland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Its 2016 so back to A for the American hurricane centre
    Don't worry it's heading to Greenland.

Oh okay, thanks a million, didn't realise it went by year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Edit, sorry that sounds very insensitive compared to what some people have suffered. I didn't mean to moan at all just interested

It's actually Hurricane Alex. It's in mid-Atlantic and not forecast to come near us. It's named by NOAA in the USA....see http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/084042.shtml?5-daynl

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement