Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

GFS looking very wet for the southwest on Friday morning with rain rates up to 35mm/6hr which would be a orange warning from Met Eireann if it verified.

:(

Will this constant mush ever end?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Even heavier on the 06Z GFS, red warning level stuff if that verified. Still several days away, probably won't be as bad as this.

102-779UK_xnm0.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The same charts for last night was totally off

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

at least we had a 1 week break from a 2 month period of relentless rain, seems like the floods will be back soon enough if were going back yellow/orange/red rainfall warnings.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

So this was Dublin (500m ASL) last Saturday...

Corrig%20Jan%202016_zpsrxo4gmoa.jpg

• Advertisement

While things turn boring here, looks like the US east coast will be getting a snowstorm on Friday/Saturday with +50cm possible.

gfsna-2-120.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Hmm, possibility of a storm next Thursday/Friday?

Would have posted sooner, but the site has had several issues as I'm sure ye know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

No storm just wet

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

After two gentle kindly days, today is wet, wild, wet, wild.... All my fault; put washing out yesterday. Mea culpa.... :o

Raining here now, not so sad to see it.

I dread saying it but I'm half looking forward to the warmer temps over the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very hard frost here last night, persisted in the shade for most of the day, still a few patches of it around, last night was perhaps the more severe frost of the winter here so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Bloody cold here in Arklow still
    Currently 4c

Looking at the models, my best guess is,it will be march before any cold breaks through from the east or northeast if at all
    Blooming nuisance
    There will of course be a few faux chases in the meantime but don't be fooled
    There's probably a reasonable chance of some north westerly incursions to whiten mountainy mans area again but easterlies or northeasterlies won't be coming,so less than nill options for deep lowland snow and deep cold from there in the foreseeable.

Temp reaching 10c here. Nice and Mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭pauldry

It got to 12c in munster

Warmest day of the year. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Just as boards come back so does the Atlantic..

Wonderful weather.... for making jam, starting springcleaning, then knitting with a library thriller on my lap..and researching homemade fertilisers for my depleted garden..Out there? wet, murky, winter but there we are... The range is lit and home made soup simmering,,,and just had toast and warm rhubarb and raspberry jam.. Life is grand whatever the weather..

Bloody cold here in Arklow still
    Currently 4c

Looking at the models, my best guess is,it will be march before any cold breaks through from the east or northeast if at all
    Blooming nuisance

im close to throwing in the towel for another winter, the charts over the next few weeks is a horror show for snow lovers with the atlantic dominating into the first week of February and probably will do for the entire month. Easterlies in March/April/May just adds insult to injury after such a terrible winter.

So far off the top of my head this winter seems to be in the top 5 snowless/frostless winters ive experienced since been born in the early 70s!

Lets hope the models change soon and give us even one day of snow before winter is over.

For the first time ever I can say I couldn't care less if there wasn't another day below 10c. With all the sickness going around this winter I don't want to see another cold temp for a few weeks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Carnacalla wrote: »
    For the first time ever I can say I couldn't care less if there wasn't another day below 10c. With all the sickness going around this winter I don't want to see another cold temp for a few weeks anyway.

Probably more sickness because of the mild weather the really cold weather seems to kill off most of the bugs...at least that my theory :)

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Probably more sickness because of the mild weather the really cold weather seems to kill off most of the bugs...at least that my theory :)

It was actually the day the cold arrived that I got sick, and it's been widespread sickness everywhere since!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

It was actually the day the cold arrived that I got sick, and it's been widespread sickness everywhere since!
    The verdict: Cold weather does not cause colds

According to Segal-Maurer, it isn't actually the cold weather that causes the common cold, it's what we do when it gets cold out.

"When the weather turns cold," she says, "we all run indoors, where air is recycled and we're often in close quarters with other people and viruses. We all sneeze on top of each other."

This is why the cold season is the same -- though maybe not as severe -- in warmer climates like Los Angeles as it is in colder ones like New York or Chicago.

"Dry and cold conditions are probably more high-risk situations for viruses because of dry mucosa," adds Segal-Maurer. The mucosa, she says, is what lines your trachea, the back of your throat and your sinuses. Viruses invade the mucosa and start growing, causing your cold.

And that's viruses -- as in, plural. The common cold isn't just one type of virus: When you say "I've got a cold," that could mean you have one of many bugs.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/07/health/upwave-colds/

Was certainly more than a cold I got anyway! That article is rather peculiar as it makes a statement, and then disproves it!

I'm not sure it applies AS MUCH in Ireland anyway as regardless of the season its raining here half the time and we are stuck inside anyway.

Weather may be crap here but at least we have a huge snowstorm to follow on the US east coast over the weekend. Should be some great pics and videos. Looks like some places will get over 2 feet of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I didn't get sick at all during that "cold spell" - amazingly because I am easily vulnerable to illnesses and get 'em frequently even without cold spells. It was one of the most boring cold spells I can say I have ever experienced in my life. There was absolutely nothing remarkable about it.

Facts about Grange during this cold spell (10th-20th)

*No snowfall
    *Rainfall: 6.5mm (Saturday 9th does not count)
    *Sunshine: 30.1 hours
    *Min. temperature of -6.2c on Friday 15th night and Saturday 16th morning
    *Max. temperature of 8.1c on Monday 18th and Wednesday 20th
    *I recorded 3.1 hours of sunshine on Wednesday 13th whilst plenty of the country recorded 0.5 hours of sunshine or less - it wasn't nearly that dull here
    *Sunniest day: 6.2 hours on Friday 15th
    *Wettest day: 1.9mm on Tuesday 12th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

• Registered Users Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It looks like my prediction is going according to plan, already looking like a terrible start to Spring.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Cork and Kerry
    Risk of heavy rainfall in short periods at times tonight in parts of the Kerry and west Cork, with possible falls of 15 to 25mm, highest on high ground.

Issued:Thursday 21 January 2016 16:00
    Valid:Thursday 21 January 2016 20:00 to Friday 22 January 2016 05:00

The Hirlam predictiong some heavy bursts of rain overnight, Im sure the West will see plenty too but no Yellow warning there. Heavy showers atm here on the Kerry coast and lights just flickered, chance of thunder forecast too.

mzkulI3.png

ihGLZ8Y.png

Windy day Fri.

fdh01FI.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Got a top temp of 14.2C here outside Tralee today ( higher then Valentia and Shannon and possibly Kerry airport too ) often happens when there is a steady S'ly humid airflow passing over the Kerry mountains giving a Fohn effect and just nudging up the temp 0.5C to 1.0C more by the time it reaches the coast here.

Second rain belt passing through here now in West Clare. Seems the intensity was focused further north than Met Eireann expected. Kerry and Cork has avoided a lot of the heavy stuff, which has instead opted for locations from Clare north. Over Mayo now the rain looks very heavy.

• Advertisement

Second rain belt passing through here now in West Clare. Seems the intensity was focused further north than Met Eireann expected. Kerry and Cork has avoided a lot of the heavy stuff, which has instead opted for locations from Clare north. Over Mayo now the rain looks very heavy.

Very heavy rain here in the night.. Woke me around midnight and was too loud for sleep. Starting again now! A chilly wind too. NB sickness is spread by germs so if we stay indoors with other folk in cold weather we can catch bugs. Which is the main reason I live in chosen isolation as my immune system is down. Cold weather is also a physical challenge so may weaken us. But as long as I stay away from crowded places I can get wet, frozen, weary and stay free of bugs. Mass, or crowded shops are a different matter so I go early when they are not busy. Lovely wind out there now though and it will blow any bugs away!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement