Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Knock airport forecasting temporary light showers snow from 4pm-8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭lolie

Netweather radar showing showers turning to snow now in the west.
    Fairly bitter out here with hail showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

No snow here in the west...

...yet. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Looking at the GFS runs this morning, the Op, Control and Ensembles, there seems to be a trend toward colder polar maritime incursions with some very windy days in the mix as well. What will this translate to? I'd say at least one more named storm, and transient ninja snow events for the usual suspects, Donegal, Sligo, Leitrim, Roscommon, Mayo, Cavan sort of region. Overall it is going to get cooler. A lot of low pressure on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Seen a few snow flakes earlier, 5c here in Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Surprised nobody is mentioning snowfall for Saturday morning. Some people might awaken to some.

Pathetic! I was told my area was gonna get snow during that boring period of a "cold spell" but I guess no!

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Pathetic! I was told my area was gonna get snow during that boring period of a "cold spell" but I guess no!

You were told? At best people were told it was possible, and I don't think it was forecast at all for your location.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    You were told? At best people were told it was possible, and I don't think it was forecast at all for your location.

I take Dublin Airport as my chance for snow and I was expecting a little (not much) but I did not get even 1 snowflake. I thought the wind could of blown the snow showers to my area as well as of how cold it was here during that time - I got down to -6.2c on the night of the 15th and morning of the 16th.

If its any conciliation, I got none also.

Has Knock Airport been suffering another very dull month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Be interesting so see how much modification this air takes over the Atlantic.
    NW and W may sneak in a bit of the white stuff
    As this is Boards I'm going to say this will be snow for everyone who is noth of Toe head.

gfs-2-66.png?12
    gfs-1-66.png?12
    J66-7.GIF?27-12
    ECM0-72.GIF?27-12

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

sryanbruen wrote: »
    You got told?? Your the weather master on here so you should be doing the telling...

Knock Airport reporting Light Showers Snow at 18:30. Same at 19:00. Temp at 19:00 is 1c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Thurs night / Fri morning and again early Mon morning and throughout the day looking very windy , more so on NW and N Coasts.

Spring tides the weekend. Looking wintry on Sat

E8GirAH.gif

B5z0gO8.gif

Big Temp difference between Sat and Sun

YkCrXvH.gif

aplgTAp.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭esposito

Big Temp difference between Sat and Sun

Sunday always seems to be the milder day of the two lately!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Two more charts showing the strength of the wind on the NW / N coasts Thurs night / Fri morning ( massive seas as well )

G56ymp8.png

CxY9QGE.gif?1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Two more charts showing the strength of the wind on the NW / N coasts Fri night / Sat morning ( massive seas as well )

Looking even bigger on Monday:eek:
    1-1454338800-1.gif

http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-Surf-Chart/1/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Ugggggh

Gavin Partridge has tweeted a link to the UKMO's advice to severe weather contingency planners
    They are expecting the coldest weather to be march and April, with an overall milder than average February
    That would be a capital nuisance should it be on the ball and it would not surprise me

You can read a lot of it in detail here

Cold April makes a good summer apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Shaping up a bit like 2013 alright. The one good thing that came out of that year was the summer. That Spring was brutal for agriculture though. And the populace in general may i add!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

"Keep in mind the two years that had an El Nino event as intense as the current El Nino (82-83 and 97-98) both saw significantly cold and wet periods in the Spring"

hmm. almost seems inevitable now this year's spring will be very cold one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

"Keep in mind the two years that had an El Nino event as intense as the current El Nino (82-83 and 97-98) both saw significantly cold and wet periods in the Spring"

hmm. almost seems inevitable now this year's spring will be very cold one.

What was the summer like following those two el nino winters do you know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Carnacalla wrote:

I always thought this too, don't know if stats back it up though? Warm sunny spring usually followed by wet summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Carnacalla wrote: »

Always thought (and from what I remember) cold February/March = scorching summer.

IIRC end of Feb 2005 we had snow and 2 weeks later it was +20°c some days.

Similar in Scotland 1988 or 1989.

Another old saying went 'May wet and windy fills the barn with corn and hay'. I'd say that's pure folklore. Don't imagine there's any data to back it up.

A bit like Scottish 19th century meteorolgist Buchan's 6 cold and 3 warm spells. He set certain dates for these cold and warm spells. The period 7-14 February is Buchan's first cold spell. He came to fame posthumously in 1928 when Lord Desborough presented a bill for fixing the date of Easter in the British Parliament. This happened to coincide with Buchan's second cold spell (11-14 April). The Bill was defeated, and the following nine spells all performed according to his theory! Pot luck i'd imagine.

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Always thought (and from what I remember) cold February/March = scorching summer.

Remember snow in late Feb 2005. Also Dublin traffic ground to a halt in snow on March 1st.

By March 19th it was 20C. I remember Ireland were playing Wales for the triple crown in Cardiff in t-shirt weather. Wales won the Grand Slam that day.

prinzeugen wrote: »

Though 1986 had a very cold easterly February and early March, summer was bad. Hurricane Charley in August. Cold and wet overall.

1995 had a very cold first half to the month and an exceptional summer..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Interesting speculations and a lot of old wisdom. Blessedly quiet up here this morning. I see there is an orange alert for wind tonight so will make the most of the peace. Becoming nocturnal...fine as I do not need to fit in with anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Ugggggh

Gavin Partridge has tweeted a link to the UKMO's advice to severe weather contingency planners
    They are expecting the coldest weather to be march and April, with an overall milder than average February
    That would be a capital nuisance should it be on the ball and it would not surprise me

You can read a lot of it in detail here

They wouldn't happen to have the lotto numbers for March and April as well would they

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sudden loud squall just now and wind rising.. peace is clearly over...deluge. South Kerry mountains 400 asl

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement