Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

They wouldn't happen to have the lotto numbers for March and April as well would they

Weren't November December and January meant to be arctic like too?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Almost back to sqaure one here with a soaking garden and pools of water around the roads. Can't wait to see the back to this stormy, wet, miserable, mild mucky winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Saturday looks wintry on the GFS.

51-779UK_zlx0.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Cold April makes a good summer apparently.

1989 right here......

How often has a good April been with a bad Summer? Well actually not quite a lot

2011 (well only August was bad here)

Cold April - good Summer?

2015 - no (it was cold here due to nights)
    2013 - yes
    2012 - no
    2000 - yes
    1998 - no
    1994 - no
    1989 - yes
    1986 - no

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mondays Storm well off the North Coast but a strong wide wind field flowing out of it.

Yc9u34Z.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I watched a snow graphic passing over central Ireland for Saturday night on the BBC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Weren't November December and January meant to be arctic like too?

No. Try not to confuse the real weather scientists in the met office with something you read in the express.

No. Try not to confuse the real weather scientists in the met office with something you read in the express.

Thanks for the tip.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ComfortKid wrote: »
    What was the summer like following those two el nino winters do you know?

I don't know what the the Summer of 1983 was like, i was too young to remember it.
    The summer of 1998 was wet and cool at times through June and July, particularly in the north and north west, and unusually windy at times. August was quite a good month, a lot of dry weather with warm sunshine for most of the country, except for the north and northwest.

so all in all it wasn't a great summer.

i think we are now looking at a mid Atlantic ridge from the 15th of February onwards to bring us a decent northerly. This current pattern has to change at some point, lets hope its sooner rather than later, as we could be locked into it for a few months, and then we will be cursing what might have been...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Belfast Aldergrove Airport TAF giving Sleet and Snow showers from 8pm tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

GFS output is showing widespread snow showers across Ireland tonight. I wonder will it translate to any accumulations at low levels? Met UK have a yellow warning for all of northern ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

I don't know what the the Summer of 1983 was like, i was too young to remember it.

1983 was a very warm summer overall. Not the driest. A lot of thunderstorms in July. June was dull iirc. The July Kilkenny mean temp was 18.2C. That was higher than the summer months of 1976 and from 1958-2008 when Kilkenny station went out of action only beaten by August 1995 at 18.9C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

looks like the northern half will get plenty of snow showers 2morro
    nmm_uk1-42-33-4_izg9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The wind up here has ice on its exuberant breath..cold enough for anything to be credible. Ice, snow, bitter chill.. fire glows warm in the range and water simmers...

All of Grange's very wet days (10mm or more) so far this Winter and Jesus Christ there has been quite a lot.

Dec 3rd: 31.3mm
    Dec 5th: 14.3mm
    Dec 12th: 36.5mm
    Dec 14th: 10.2mm
    Dec 25th: 21.2mm
    Dec 26th: 12.7mm
    Dec 28th: 11.3mm

Jan 1st: 10.1mm
    Jan 5th: 19.8mm
    Jan 9th: 17.9mm
    Jan 26th: 15.2mm
    Jan 29th: 12.4mm

These days alone add up to a total of 212.9mm of my Winter's total of 318.9mm (67% of the total!!).

Winter 2015 / 16 is so far at my second wettest Winter since records began in 1986.

Winter 2013 / 14 is my wettest Winter with 369.1mm - getting close to beating that.

Sunshine for this January looking very unremarkable according to this chart at these three stations

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Winter's back (for a while). ;)

sn2_phm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Looks like a decent wintry spell has hit the rocks given the prognosis for north America in the next few weeks is bitter cold,the 4th bitter rest of winter in a row there

Its Curtains for us so as all that cold exiting the States is going to do what it did before,give us another month of Atlantic storms
    More hardship forThe people on the shannon basin

Late cold spring/April it is so when that's done if anything at all :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Baltic out there tonight in Dublin anyway. Just back from a walk. Brrrrrr.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Looks like a decent wintry spell has hit the rocks given the prognosis for north America in the next few weeks is bitter cold,the 4th bitter rest of winter in a row there

Its Curtains for us so as all that cold exiting the States is going to do what it did before,give us another month of Atlantic storms

Yes looking like an early Feb 1988, February 1990, February 2014 repeat. In some ways with regards to the wind storms we've escaped direct hits and nearer misses this winter. Nothing above 130km per hour gusts. I've a feeling we'll have a more severe storm hit us in February where we're up a notch or 2 to very severe gusts with 150km+ per hour gusts that do serious damage and are a threat to life. I hope i'm wrong but if powerful storms keep rolling out of the Atlantic the odds are shorter on a more direct hit alá storm Darwin 12th Feb 2014. It was a miracle only one person, an unfortunate ESB worker, died as a result of that storm. I remember a storm in January 1991 where 7 people died and it was less severe. So again PG we don't get such storms but i have my doubts. And the west certainly doesn't need the rain. They've suffered enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We had one shot at winter over the past 3 months and it went pear shaped after day 4 of excitement and the event was still 5 days away, as soon as it went pear shaped I just knew that was curtains on this winter, the atlantic has never been in charge greater than this winter. Ive never witnessed so much wind, rain and double digit temps almost relentless for months on end, a true sorry state of a winter. It's odd saying this with still 4 weeks of proper winter to go but we all know it's over, an endless train of rain, wind and storms awaits us deep in FI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Nice hike in the cooley mountains this evening/nite

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

^^^^^^^^^
    Sorry cant open attachments icesnowfrost

Temp has been rising here for the last hour or so to 6.2C as rain approaches the coast

SV8EXKv.png?1

vLjQSIL.png?1

Metmaster wrote: »
    Just watched a long range forecast on youtube and it looks like very heavy snow for mid december and xmas time :):)

What's this guys name must give him a call re lotto numbers next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭droidman123

And yet i was berated and abused for daring to state that irelands weather is impossible to forecast 2/3 months ahead! The ridiculous thing is next september/october we will still have the same people chancing their arm forecasting about winter 2016/2017.....and even more unbelieveable....there are people that actually believe it!! Mother nature wins again.

And yet i was berated and abused for daring to state that irelands weather is impossible to forecast 2/3 months ahead! The ridiculous thing is next september/october we will still have the same people chancing their arm forecasting about winter 2016/2017.....and even more unbelieveable....there are people that actually believe it!! Mother nature wins again.

You were slated for stating that MT Craniums reasonable forecast was stupid among other things. I completely disagree and found your comments patronising and very blunt.

What I don't subscribe to is Daily Mail style forecasts that are only designed to be completely sensational.

You were slated for stating that MT Craniums reasonable forecast was stupid among other things. I completely disagree and found your comments patronising and very blunt.

What I don't subscribe to is Daily Mail style forecasts that are only designed to be completely sensational.

You are making things up now.i never said they were stupid,i would like you to refer my posts where i said that please.i have never been patronising either.i live in the real world and i stand by everything i have posted .i dont subscribe to daiy mail style forecasting either,but i also dont subscribe to james madden,ken ring,mt cranium forecasting either.they all have different ways or reasons or "scientific" or trends of long range forecasting....but i think we all know its impossible to do.

You are making things up now.i never said they were stupid,i would like you to refer my posts where i said that please.i have never been patronising either.i live in the real world and i stand by everything i have posted .i dont subscribe to daiy mail style forecasting either,but i also dont subscribe to james madden,ken ring,mt cranium forecasting either.they all have different ways or reasons or "scientific" or trends of long range forecasting....but i think we all know its impossible to do.

Why are you trying to convince us that your right?

What you have said is basically that you were slated for saying the sensational forecasts were wrong, no you weren't. You were slated for saying the MT equivalent was impossible to forecast accurately. Stating that as fact won't get you far, as it's your opinion, I disagree but I don't cause so much tension and basically shove my opinion in everyone's faces.

I understand why you won't believe MT's forecast, but I find them accurate to a reasonable extent as do many others and I'm sure we would all appreciate if you didn't try to undermine our opinions and do what comes across as trying to make us feel stupid and wrong.

• Advertisement

Why are you trying to convince us that your right?

What you have said is basically that you were slated for saying the sensational forecasts were wrong, no you weren't. You were slated for saying the MT equivalent was impossible to forecast accurately. Stating that as fact won't get you far, as it's your opinion, I disagree but I don't cause so much tension and basically shove my opinion in everyone's faces.

I understand why you won't believe MT's forecast, but I find them accurate to a reasonable extent as do many others and I'm sure we would all appreciate if you didn't try to undermine our opinions and do what comes across as trying to make us feel stupid and wrong.

See,there you go again trying to get your thank o meter up again.its not a case of me believing mts forecast,i just take it with a pinch of salt,like anyone else that long ranges our weather forecast.you keep trying to make me out to be a troll or a fool by saying "us" to get people on board.you must know by now i dont care what people on here think about me.i have never "shoved my opinion" in anyones face but my realistic attitude to the weather seems to upset you for some reason. I wish i knew what the weather is going to be like for june so i could plan maybe a holiday in kerry,but alas that is not possible,past trends or otherwise, thats a fact,not my opinion

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement