Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

See,there you go again trying to get your thank o meter up again.its not a case of me believing mts forecast,i just take it with a pinch of salt,like anyone else that long ranges our weather forecast.you keep trying to make me out to be a troll or a fool by saying "us" to get people on board.you must know by now i dont care what people on here think about me.i have never "shoved my opinion" in anyones face but my realistic attitude to the weather seems to upset you for some reason. I wish i knew what the weather is going to be like for june so i could plan maybe a holiday in kerry,but alas that is not possible,past trends or otherwise, thats a fact,not my opinion

Isn't that what you tried to do by posting that OP?

Look, we have explained you cant pinpoint certain days and get the weather, keep ignoring it.

Good night all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭droidman123

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Isn't that what you tried to do by posting that OP?

Look, we have explained you cant pinpoint certain days and get the weather, keep ignoring it.

Good night all!

"We"? I dont post on a " we" basis.i can hold my debate/opinion on my own

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bitterly cold night; blessedly still but rain falling.Enjoying the quietude.. all the critters are extra hungry and so am I! Weather is lived up here... well after 4 am now and the wind is stretching its legs and yawning, getting ready for a wild day.... Been a lovely quiet spell!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

One or two flakey but more on the sleet side of things falling past my cameras at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The weather today is beyond all things. Only good thing is i do not need to go out.. swathes of thick rain white across the back fields and the mountains hiding their craggy face....mud and muck outside the doors..and such a vicious biting wind.. thankfully being a westerly leaves the doors unscathed...Awesomely totally inimical and hostile. Winter at its apex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Really have noticed that weekend weather has been appalling this winter. Having said that this winter has been appalling. Its another dark gloomy wet day here. Even yesterday which was relatively bright at times was bitter cold with passing showers. For me Spring doesn't start until March 1 so still a bit to go. Wouldn't it be great if we got a nice dry benign spell of weather in spring?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Really have noticed that weekend weather has been appalling this winter. Having said that this winter has been appalling. Its another dark gloomy wet day here. Even yesterday which was relatively bright at times was bitter cold with passing showers. For me Spring doesn't start until March 1 so still a bit to go. Wouldn't it be great if we got a nice dry benign spell of weather in spring?.

The first time in ages, this weekend I really felt cabin-fever. Every weekend seems to bring grey skies, incessant (Sorry Siobhan) rain, or cold wintry showers and wind, wind and more wind. I feel the lack of sunshine and some blue skies makes me feel sad, half depressed at times and just lacking energy, especially when I open the curtains every morning to see low grey clouds, scud and general misery in the skies. Roll on Spring!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yeah. I want it to be like Spring 2011 all over again! Very pleasant and extremely dry and sunny March with a very warm, sunny and dry April. However, May I want it to be different from that year because it was very wet often and not exceptionally warm. Imagine if we got May heat like the end of that month in 2010, the 23rd I remember very well! It was so warm and sunny (my sunniest May day on record) that we put out the water slide inflatable. This Winter has been the epitome of **** alright. Let's see about the weekend thing,

5th / 6th Dec: 5th was appalling, 6th was alright
    12th / 13th Dec: 12th was appalling, 13th was gloomy and cold
    19th / 20th Dec: 19th was cloudy and very mild, 20th was mild and showery
    26th / 27th Dec: 26th was appalling, 27th was cloudy, dry and cold
    2nd / 3rd Jan: 2nd and 3rd were wet and just miserable
    9th / 10th Jan: 9th was appallingly wet, 10th was cold and sunny with a few showers
    16th / 17th Jan: 16th was cloudy, cold and dry, 17th was cloudy and became wet later
    23rd / 24th Jan: Miserable weekend and unseasonably mild
    30th / 31st Jan: 30th was alright and 31st is just meh...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Yesterday was quite nice in Cork I thought(relatively speaking)..the morning was lovely and bright with a nice crisp coldness and it continued bright and dry all day.Im loving the stretch in the evening and the mornings are brighter too.Im heading away to the West next weekend so hoping for dry weather and no icy roads but looking at the long range and Im not too confident..time will tell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yesterday was one of the few totally dry days we've had here since the end of October.

• Advertisement

I went for a run at 8am yesterday. Icy cold with some rain. Did some errands then it was bitter cold but dry. Around lunchtime wanted to do some tidying in garden but it rained. Afternoon was quite dull and dreary. Today is horrendous again. Bit of a stretch all right but as someone who works 8 to 5.30 its not apparent yet to be honest. It would be easier to deal with our winter if you were guaranteed some kind of summer. Sadly we are not. It'll be brighter a little milder and a little drier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

I went for a run at 8am yesterday. Icy cold with some rain. Did some errands then it was bitter cold but dry. Around lunchtime wanted to do some tidying in garden but it rained. Afternoon was quite dull and dreary. Today is horrendous again. Bit of a stretch all right but as someone who works 8 to 5.30 its not apparent yet to be honest. It would be easier to deal with our winter if you were guaranteed some kind of summer. Sadly we are not. It'll be brighter a little milder and a little drier.

It's probably the wrong thread for this comment. I'd much prefer if the clocks didn't go back and we had the extra hours daylight in the evening. For 9-5 workers they'd have an hour of daylight to do something in the evening at this time of year. It would probably be beneficial for people's mental health too re. SAD etc. Going to work in the dark in the morning and being dark at 9am wouldn't nother most anyway as they're in work.

Back around the early 60s the clock didn't go back and many people felt that children walking to school weren't as safe travelling in darkness. Nowadays very few kids walk or cycle to school so it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

I know some people like farmers milking cows would disagree and others who need daylight in the morning.

nagdefy wrote: »
    Nowadays very few kids walk or cycle to school so it wouldn't be as much of an issue.

I wouldn't entirely agree with you there, and why would you completely stop any kids walking to school, its gotten bad enough already.

Then there is the issue of the kids who have no choice but to walk being unsafe.

I'm afraid the real issue is there isn't enough daylight hours in the day! Anyway its only for a little over a month every year when it's at it's worst.

Fine mist outside being blown far by the strong winds making an ideal day for relaxing indoors:D

I wouldn't entirely agree with you there, and why would you completely stop any kids walking to school, its gotten bad enough already.

Then there is the issue of the kids who have no choice but to walk being unsafe.

I'm afraid the real issue is there isn't enough daylight hours in the day! Anyway its only for a little over a month every year when it's at it's worst.

For the greater good of the majority i still feel it would be beneficial. It's for more than a month. From the last week of October until mid February. I know on the west coast sunrise is half an hour later and sunset half an hour later so you mightn't notice it as much as in the east.

I think exercise can be fitted into the school curriculum and after school. Certainly enough to compensate for that lost by not walking to school. I think the safety is overplayed too. With proper reflective clothing they'd be as safe as walking on a grey murky morning.

I think exercise can be fitted into the school curriculum and after school. Certainly enough to compensate for that lost by not walking to school. I think the safety is overplayed too. With proper reflective clothing they'd be as safe as walking on a grey murky morning.

It's more the point of the kids who have no choice but to walk. Family may have no car, parents may be gone to work, and its really not that uncommon!

It's more the point of the kids who have no choice but to walk. Family may have no car, parents may be gone to work, and its really not that uncommon!

They can still walk kitted out properly and with a torch. And non implementaion of Daylight Saving Scheme has been proven to save millions in Health Care.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Any sign of any dry ,settled ,cold weather lads ,sick as a **** of all these storms ,rain humid sticky days .am I right in saying that the cold snap predicted for late next week is now gone ,although mt is still holding out some hope

They can still walk kitted out properly and with a torch.
    Its still a safety concern
    And non implementaion of Daylight Saving Scheme has been proven to save millions in Health Care.

Really? Could you PM me a link?

Anyway its a matter of personal opinion. I respect your point in regards to after work. I prefer the daylight saving hours though.

Its still a safety concern

Really? Could you PM me a link?

Anyway its a matter of personal opinion. I respect your point in regards to after work. I prefer the daylight saving hours though.

I'll try and source links. No problem at all Carnacalla it is all only a matter of opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] Several studies also link DST to increased risk of heart attacks, road accidents and sleep problems [...]

Little over a month? November December January and half of February are very dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Meanwhile..
    I was talking to some of the older folk around Arklow who can't remember such a wet and windy persistent time ever

Meanwhile..
    I was talking to some of the older folk around Arklow who can't remember such a wet and windy persistent time ever

I can. December 2013 - February 2014

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I can. December 2013 - February 2014

Ah but we didn't mind it then we just had a scorcher of a summer:D:P:cool:

Ah but we didn't mind it then we just had a scorcher of a summer:D:P:cool:

Didn't mind it because it was in between the great summers of 2013 and 2014 you mean?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Total dry days here in January: 8

Total rainfall: 154.5mm (and still time for a bit more)...70% of it in the first nine days of the month.

Average temp: Nearly 2 degrees above normal - I'll do the sums later; my weather station uses an hourly average rather than (max+min)/2.

Highest Temp: 15.5C on the 24th.

Lowest temp: 0.7C on the 19th. (Last air frost here was in late November)

Despite this litany of horror snow fell and lodged overnight on two separate occasions, neither last more than 12 hours; higher up the ground was partly covered for over a week.

And there were 361.1 heat degree days...I have absolutely no idea what that means :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

snow watch is over :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

snow watch is over :(

Not at all...we get more snow in March than December in Ireland; and Feb is the snowiest month.

Cheer up! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Not at all...we get more snow in March than December in Ireland; and Feb is the snowiest month.

Cheer up! :(

Absolutely...Pre 2010 February was always the best winter month for snow. 2010 was a freak that spoiled us and skewed our expectations off the scale...Winter far from over

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement