Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well the ukmo are still suggesting some type of mid Atlantic ridge going into the third week of February, though they see a return to a zonal flow for late February. So a deep freeze looks unlikely. However, we could still squeeze a decent northerly from a mid Atlantic ridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I wouldn't entirely agree with you there, and why would you completely stop any kids walking to school, its gotten bad enough already.

Then there is the issue of the kids who have no choice but to walk being unsafe.

I'm afraid the real issue is there isn't enough daylight hours in the day! Anyway its only for a little over a month every year when it's at it's worst.

One village here started a " walking bus". Gathered in children as they went along. Not sure if it carried on and in bad weather...We always walked either to school or to the service bus stop .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

no reports here so it seems no posters (myself included :mad:) around here saw these clouds this morning?
    http://www.thejournal.ie/rainbow-clouds-2577674-Feb2016/

edit: apologies, poster bongalongherb saw them. I hadn't looked at the Storm Henry thread until after I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I saw them this morning alright but thought it was just because of the rising sun and thought it would only last a few seconds. I didnt have any time to look at them for more than 10 seconds unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Not at all...we get more snow in March than December in Ireland; and Feb is the snowiest month.

Cheer up! :(

I very rarely seem to get snow in February however, strange....:mad:

• Advertisement

It still puzzles me how I got so much sunshine and stations in Ireland recorded very little.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

how come these storms never hit ireland directly, but always seem to drift off to the northwest ????

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

philstar wrote: »
    how come these storms never hit ireland directly, but always seem to drift off to the northwest ????

That's as of late, when they brush close to the coast is when we usually get the worst winds, but they are more short lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

dexter647 wrote: »
    Absolutely...Pre 2010 February was always the best winter month for snow. 2010 was a freak that spoiled us and skewed our expectations off the scale...Winter far from over

Yeah but all the best long lasting snow I remember happened before February

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    Yeah but all the best long lasting snow I remember happened before February

for me it's the opposite, aside from December 2000 and, of course, December 2010, the best northerlies occurred in February. Although they were usually topplers, due to modification from the Atlantic, and because of the in coming ridge of high pressure, the showers would turn less wintry on the second or third day:( that was the beauty of December 2010, the airmass on the 16th was so cold, the Atlantic could not spoil things. I was amazed at how quickly the snow begun to stick on the wet ground that evening after a full day of rain. It just proved that if the air temperature decreases enough, it doesn't matter how wet the ground is the snow will stick.
    I wonder will we ever see another cold spell as epic as that one in our life times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

December 2000 was the best I can remember, nearly a week of snow and a good foot of it at times.

A bitterly cold and blustery morning; South Kerry 400 asl. An almost half moon... dark still but a light night. Was out to get the car to the door and open the gate before letting the dog out and finding the car was easy. There have been very dark mornings when I have literally got totally disorientated out there in pitch dark ( no torch) Can be scary! Just total black...WInd chill is a huge factor today and will be out early after checking road conditions..Shivers!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Some lovely rainbow clouds over Dublin again this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Some lovely rainbow clouds over Dublin again this morning.

Yeah saw them over sallins. Phone won't focus right to take a good pic !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

I got a few pics but the quality isn't great :(

IMAG0400_zpsopjegicl.jpg

IMAG0399_zps5lp6o8ol.jpg

IMAG0401_zpsgjtg9oai.jpg

IMAG0398_zpsnkgsm6nm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes saw them too on the way into work in Carlow this morning - pulled over to get a pic, but didn't come out great :(

Saw them too, very pretty.

ci68BCC.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

I never looked skywards this morning :(

Cold blustery day; partly cloudy and 5C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭lolie

Nothing wrong with them pics Deank.
    Might be work looking out after sunset for them.
    A friend took this pic this morning here in south cavan, said it looked better than in the pic as only had a poor phone camera.
    376647.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

Over Kildare this morning

image.jpg

Just home from my delayed out time for supplies etc, and a more volatile unstable and mercurial and utterly magnificent and glorious weather day could not be found. At the checkout in Tesco, we watched the mountains vanishing and precipitation falling visible and as I left town, hail and wet snow.. along the Ring of kerry to Moll's Gap, bright sun dazzling, then deluges and wind... scenery changing its very nature minute by minute.. rainbows shining then fading... the back mountains are dramatic with snow cover; took some photos but very tired so later...When I lived on a small Orkney island, there was a nondescript bank and ditch and the locals said that winter was not over until the snow had gone from. They were always right of course and I think the same for the back mountains. Utter beauty. They are saying in town that the weather will be very bad until Saturday.. bad but beautiful...take the breath away ...so thankful to live here.... South Kerry mountains 400 asl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

My short timelapse from this morning.

Thanks to a false fire alarm I spent 20mins this afternoon standing out in the rain, hail and wind with nothing but a wall as shelter.

Of course the second we returned in side the sun came out.

December 2000 was nothing compared to December 2010 here. In December 2000, I recorded snowfall on 3 days including a White Christmas! 2010 I recorded snowfall on 11 days (inc. a non stop period from the 17th - 23rd)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Getting colder here in Westport. 3.9 degrees and just had a passing hail shower that covered the ground. Few flakes of sneachta at the end of the shower. Feeling raw.

Lots of snow over the North West according to the Weather Radar on Net Weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭highdef

Quick question.....A lot of people here have seen the polar stratospheric clouds over the past few mornings however one thing I have not seen posted is WHY they have been appearing over Ireland the past few days?

I don't recall these clouds coming up in past threads although I could just have a short memory. Can anyone shed some light as to why they are suddenly being seen all over the place?

Never mind, this link explains it all!!! http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=news;storyid=7140;sess=

highdef wrote: »
    Quick question.....A lot of people here have seen the polar stratospheric clouds over the past few mornings however one thing I have not seen posted is WHY they have been appearing over Ireland the past few days?

I don't recall these clouds coming up in past threads although I could just have a short memory. Can anyone shed some light as to why they are suddenly being seen all over the place?

What I read was they occur at temperatures of -85c and when winds are strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

As usual I missed them - despite keeping a constant skyward vigil for all this sort of phenomena. Suppose I have to get up a bit earlier and be more alert.:o

Maybe get a chance tomorrow - clear skies permitting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement