Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

That, and the amount of users online, or rather lack of, tells me all i need to know without opening up any of the winter threads.
    I think the way its going gardeners and farmers in Ireland are going to be cursing this spring.

More than likely, if ground conditions were dry enough I could have the cattle out grazing, the grass has been growing slowly all winter.
    The odd time you get a not so cold winter and an early spring, but I am not sure what is normal during el nino times.
    If we are going to get snow, it better come this month or it can feck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

RobertKK wrote: »
    More than likely, if ground conditions were dry enough I could have the cattle out grazing, the grass has been growing slowly all winter.
    The odd time you get a not so cold winter and an early spring, but I am not sure what is normal during el nino times.

Yep. I can't express how much I love snowfall but I despise it in seasons other than Winter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Yikes ! Storm back in contention for next Monday. What was that Carnacalla about charts always heading North :)

mwnraO8.gif

NOEkEhr.png

OtIv4Hz.png

Yikes ! Storm back in contention for next Monday. What was that Carnacalla about charts always heading North :)

mwnraO8.gif

NOEkEhr.png

OtIv4Hz.png

I knew it! #THE END OF THE WORLD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Im getting nervous now..what exactly are those charts saying ,is it another Darwin?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Actually the next 12Z run has the storm centre more South over Ireland and the Strongest winds much further South offshore.

8HCnTr1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Colser wrote: »
    Im getting nervous now..what exactly are those charts saying ,is it another Darwin?

Its a whopper of a storm Colser.
    But its still long range so the chances of it happening are very slim:)

If it did happen, Offaly will become part of the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I just want to be the first to say, this will be a non event :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,171 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I just want to be the first to say, this will be a non event :(

Why?
    EDIT:
    Nevermind I get your point.

Not non-event, but certainly not as severe :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

some idiot will prob put a name on it to hype it up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

I think the letter "I" is next up so we could call it Imaginary
    :D

At least they have the proficiency of capital letters :P
    If it makes people more aware I'm all for it:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

OF COURSE THERE WILL BE PLENTY OF IDIOTS ON HERE BELIEVING THE HYPE

Should I take that personally?

If I were you I'd be more worried about the 40 year old facebookers who comment on every news story. I'm sure they need a sorting:D

I think the letter "I" is next up so we could call it Imaginary
    :D

Well the next name on the storm list is Imogen and I think that's perfect since I have never heard of that name in my life and it must be "Imaginary"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Now that you capitalised your argument can called your fellow posters idiots, I can take you seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

RobertKK wrote: »

My landlord has had cattle out up here all winter so far.. sturdy, shaggy young ones at foot of cows.. as you say the grass is still growing but all is so wet.... when I stopped by the lake for a picnic last week, the bank was so green and well cropped. Good for the lambing ?

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Well the next name on the storm list is Imogen and I think that's perfect since I have never heard of that name in my life and it must be "Imaginary"

Something lacking in your education then!... Mind you " Imogen" always was a rather upper class English name so you are excused, THIS time! Jake" next,, I was planning to call my latest rescue cat Jake but was persuaded to change to Jacob.. Heaven help us if a storm is like this cat! He is a wild child and completely amoral and disingenuous...But so affectionate..

• Advertisement

Lovely purple colours. yumm! ( grabs knitting needles and yarn!) Snug abed listening to the wild wind and wilder rain.. My Kitchen looks like a laundry... Grand SO... The air kind of tastes different; a spring wind rather than a winter gale.. My window boxes are bright with primulas so we are heading in the right direction..onwards the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Rain intensifies as it moves east today, with more tomorrow, just when the flooded field around me finally drained away a little bit, and it was grand and dry around my house.

Terrific news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Friday, 5 February, 2016
    Forecasts for Ireland
    TODAY ... Rain will gradually move eastward across the country, and it will last about four hours on average (it's already raining in most of Connacht). Amounts will range from 15 mm in the west to 25 mm east-central as the band intensifies around early afternoon. Clearing skies will gradually replace this rainfall in western counties by afternoon and it will turn a few degrees cooler, with temperatures near 11 C before the rain, 9 C during it and 6-8 C after it clears.

TONIGHT ... Clear skies will allow some patchy inland frost and associated icy roads in a few areas with lows to about -2 C, but coastal and urban areas will likely stay around 2-4 C.

SATURDAY ... Rapidly increasing southerly winds and another band of heavy rainfall (15-25 mm) with spot flooding possible, then partial clearing with strong southwest winds 60-100 km/hr. Highs near 9 C.

SUNDAY ... Windy with occasional rain and squally showers developing, most areas will see gusts to about 90 km/hr but parts of Donegal could see stronger winds as an intense low passes quickly by to the north. Lows 3-5 C and highs about 8 C.

SUNDAY NIGHT and MONDAY will bring an interval of very strong winds to the south coast (southwest to west 70-120 km/hr) but it will not be very windy further north closer to another centre of low pressure moving east across the country. There will be showers or periods of rain and the risk of hail near the south coast in the stronger winds. Later, all regions will see moderate westerly winds 50-80 km/hr and passing showers in cold conditions (temperatures will be steady in the 4-7 C range for most, 9-10 C south coast).

OUTLOOK ... The weather will continue very unsettled all week with several more intervals of rainfall. Temperatures will continue to hover around 6 or 7 C most of the time. By Thursday it will be cold enough that some of this rain could fall as sleet on higher ground when winds become northerly and temperatures begin to fall off somewhat. This may be followed by some bright but cold weather before what looks like a reload of the milder pattern that has shown up each month since October at some point (and in all cases near the end of the months although November and December had relative warmth almost all month).

For some reason this is the most depressing forecast I've seen in forever. It just made me :(:mad: I need a change please please weather gods!!

snowgal; we are all tired is all. Been a long slog this year. Well here they are warning of surface water and spot flooding on roads... whatever next! As they say up in Orkney...Fire lit and sheets steaming...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I've loved gales and storms of all sorts most of my life but maybe it's a sign I'm getting older because this past two weeks I've grown very very tired of perpetual grey skies, on-off-on again rain, and the never-ending winds, day & night, and soggy garden.

I long for a week or two of calm weather with clear frosty days, bright winter sun, red sunrise & sunsets, white lawns and hedges.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

snowgal wrote: »

For some reason this is the most depressing forecast I've seen in forever. It just made me :(:mad: I need a change please please weather gods!!

Don't get mad.

There's no such thing as bad weather, just a bad choice of clothing.

If you approach it from that point of view there is little enough to keep a person cooped up inside. Getting out can work wonders for one's mood, especially if you're dry and warm in your clothing.

I personally would like to see a decent windstorm to liven things up a bit or a decent covering of snow. While I'm dreaming of weather armogeden I'm just having to plan tasks in a way appropriate to the weather we currently have.

Keep the chin up and smile. People will wonder what you're up to ;)

tippman1 wrote: »
    I've loved gales and storms of all sorts most of my life but maybe it's a sign I'm getting older because this past two weeks I've grown very very tired of perpetual grey skies, on-off-on again rain, and the never-ending winds, day & night, and soggy garden.

I long for a week or two of calm weather with clear frosty days, bright winter sun, red sunrise & sunsets, white lawns and hedges.......

I think we're all long for some actual WINTER weather - i.e. cold and frosty. This Winter has been the exact opposite. It feels like Summer, why:

*Well above average temperatures

Grange's differences of average temperature for example this Winter

December: +4.5c above the LTA (warmest December on record)
    January: +1.2c above the LTA
    February so far: +3.3c above the LTA

*On and on rainfall (even during the cold spell in January) - just like most Irish summers

If this doesn't work out in any cold weather, then I long for a brilliant Summer like 2013 OR 2014 (without the terrible August)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I think we're all long for some actual WINTER weather - i.e. cold and frosty. This Winter has been the exact opposite. It feels like Summer, why:

*Well above average temperatures

Grange's differences of average temperature for example this Winter

December: +4.5c above the LTA (warmest December on record)
    January: +1.2c above the LTA
    February so far: +3.3c above the LTA

*On and on rainfall (even during the cold spell in January) - just like most of Irish summers

If this doesn't work out in any cold weather, then I long for a brilliant Summer like 2013 OR 2014 (without the terrible August)

2014 was a brilliant summer? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Surprised nobody picked up the snow risk Saturday night. Band of sleet and hill snow looks to cross the country for few hours. Could give a surprise on hilly areas early sun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

After suddenly turning very squally here in Connemara after a fairly calm day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement