Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

When we are over Imogen will think re next weekend..still temper tantrum time up here.. South Kerry mountains 400 asl with hail and heavy rain and creaking roof and gale gusts...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Graces7 wrote: »
    When we are over Imogen will think re next weekend..still temper tantrum time up here.. South Kerry mountains 400 asl with hail and heavy rain and creaking roof and gale gusts...

Have a look at MT's forecast. The end of the wind is insight, although I'm not sure how much you like the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Have a look at MT's forecast. The end of the wind is insight, although I'm not sure how much you like the alternative.

There seems to be guidance towards a colder spell but a lot of uncertainty as to who might benefit snow wise. The likelihood it wont be around here from past experience save for icy roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

could someone copy and paste MTC daily forecst in he for me?
    his thras won't open and I didn't receive the email versuon last few days either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

km79 wrote: »
    could someone copy and paste MTC daily forecst in he for me?
    his thras won't open and I didn't receive the email versuon last few days either

Monday, 8 February, 2016

Forecasts for Ireland

TODAY ... Very windy across the south this morning, and becoming windy also in central counties (Galway to Dublin) while staying relatively moderate in the north. Winds generally west to northwest, gusting to 120 km/hr in exposed parts of the south, 100 km/hr central and 70 km/hr north. (Even stronger winds will gradually moderate across the open Atlantic south of Cork where gusts over 150 km/hr have been recorded.) Squally and sometimes wintry showers likely with a few brighter spells too. Rainfall or equivalent about 5 to 10 mm for most places. Highs 7-9 C south, 4-7 C central and north. Caution advised as some coastal flooding may develop with high tides this morning, new moon occurs today (1440h). Some of this flooding may already be underway and could be a serious concern in some parts of west Munster.

TONIGHT and TUESDAY will continue windy and cold with passing wintry showers and some accumulations of snow on hills especially those in west Munster. Winds westerly 70-90 km/hr and temperatures in the range of -1 to 3 tonight, 4 to 7 on Tuesday. Rainfall or equivalent about 3 to 7 mm.

WEDNESDAY will see some passing showers too, or intervals of light sleety rain with wet snow possible on hills, continued cold but not as windy, lows about -2 to +2 C and highs 4 to 7 C.

THURSDAY will bring further mixed wintry showers and a few bright intervals, somewhat stronger northwest winds again, and highs only 3 to 7 C.

FRIDAY and SATURDAY will be unsettled with the risk of snow or sleet developing. Details are very uncertain at this point, almost all guidance has some potential for wintry falls but it will take a few days to be very certain about timing or regions most likely to see the greater amounts. As temperatures will be marginal (0 to 4 C) some coastal rain seems inevitable too, but eventually some snowfalls of 5 to 10 cm are quite possible. The inland southeast, Connacht and Ulster are all about equally likely to see some of this snow, and of course higher slopes could see more persistent and possibly larger amounts. One scenario is that low pressure could form near the south coast moving slowly east. This would pull in cold northeast winds and rain would turn to snow. Another possible scenario is that a frontal boundary stalling through south-central counties would generate mixed falls of sleet and snow.

FURTHER OUTLOOK calls for the unsettled spell to end with a frost and clearing skies towards Monday 15th then rapid warming would follow for a day or two with temperatures soaring to about 11 or 12 C.

So, this coming week will be perhaps the most wintry period that we will see in the otherwise mild winter season. Over in BRITAIN, the ongoing strong winds of "Imogen" will peak over southern England this morning with gusts to about 120 km/hr. Hill snow is likely further north. After that, the scenario is generally similar to Ireland with the risk of snowfalls on several occasions in a rather cold regime.

My local weather on Sunday was overcast and mild with a high of about 8 C, but even warmer conditions are spreading in from the south and we're looking forward to some sunshine and highs near 13 C the next several days. The eastern states will soon be seeing their second (or third) snowfall event developing tonight and Tuesday. Amounts of 5-15 cm are expected from Washington to Boston. There will also be scattered but lighter snowfalls throughout the Great Lakes and Midwest regions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭arctictree

Going by the latest GFS, the end of this week is looking very dodgy weather wise? Could be a number of frontal snow events especially on high ground. Surprised no comment on this?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

arctictree wrote: »
    Going by the latest GFS, the end of this week is looking very dodgy weather wise? Could be a number of frontal snow events especially on high ground. Surprised no comment on this?!
    I think everyone is worn out looking for snow this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Certainly look interesting for the weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

The GFS ensembles looking very interesting for the weekend. Too far out so not getting my hopes up.

graphe3_1000_111_35___.gif

Carnacalla wrote: »

Taking time just to breathe here as the racket lessens now..ah sweet relief! Ah you mean this? TONIGHT and TUESDAY will continue windy and cold with passing wintry showers and some accumulations of snow on hills especially those in west Munster. Winds westerly 70-90 km/hr and temperatures in the range of -1 to 3 tonight, 4 to 7 on Tuesday. Rainfall or equivalent about 3 to 7 mm. Ah well! I was planning out shopping early tomorrow but we shall have to see now! My last Supervalu E8 coupon expires Wednesday you see! lol.... But yes it feels like snow.. and as long as I am well stocked as I surely am..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Fair bit of a high ground snow train on the bbc met office charts in the coming days in Kerry, west cork, and wicklow

Fair bit of a high ground snow train on the bbc met office charts in the coming days in Kerry, west cork, and wicklow

yeah yeah! Actually I believe it this time. Imogen has cleared the way, opened the door..

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

Come back to me in one hour when the ECM has rolled out

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

No comment due to FOJI
    (fear of jinxing it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Cold and bright tomorrow Tuesday. Frost and icy patches in places at first. Sunny spells in many areas, but showers in the west and north will become widespread during the day. Some will be heavy and of hail or sleet and some snow showers will occur in places during the morning, mainly midland and western areas and on high ground. Highest afternoon temperatures of 3 to 7 degrees Celsius and feeling very cold in a blustery westerly wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

With 9 named storms so far this season i thought i'd post a link to a great documentary about the exceptionally severe storm that hit southern Britain in October 1987. A great watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Nice one Walt

Cold and bright tomorrow Tuesday. Frost and icy patches in places at first. Sunny spells in many areas, but showers in the west and north will become widespread during the day. Some will be heavy and of hail or sleet and some snow showers will occur in places during the morning, mainly midland and western areas and on high ground. Highest afternoon temperatures of 3 to 7 degrees Celsius and feeling very cold in a blustery westerly wind.

Met Eireann quietly have thrown snow showers into tomorrows forecast. Some even possibly at lowland areas, although unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

We had a heavy shower of sleety snow about 1 hour ago here in West Cork. to me this is the worst of weathers, wet windy and cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

21-574PUK.GIF?08-12

Clare and Kerry looking good if the Hi-Res gfs is to be believed.

• Advertisement

So that map gives rain on the northern Donegal coast, yet snow for hundreds off miles off the Kerry coast?

I'm trying to convince myself that I won't get snow here in West Clare so I'm less disappointed when it doesn't arrive!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2256 met eireann update
    Cold and windy overnight, with heavy showers continuing over Ulster, west Connacht and west Munster, some turning wintry before dawn. Showers elsewhere should be well scattered, with clear periods developing. Frost will form in places despite the stiff westerly winds, with some icy patches, as temperatures fall to between 0 and 3 C

Resting in the utter peace and quietude....we had a power cut yesterday afternoon for less than an hour, but the range was doing the cooking and heating water so no problems.. Love the old ways...Postponing out to Wednesday anyways and not sure if the lane is clear ;so many old trees and some came down last year. Bitterly cold. When I closed down, there were extra streams running down the mountains and the river here was well over the banks.. way below the house thankfully. Interesting review..http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/here-are-all-the-storms-so-far-from-abigail-to-imogen-719676.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snow shower reported at Knock at 0600.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

Snowing and sticking here kilkenny laois border 150 asl

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Snow shower reported at Knock at 0600.

0c and snowing there at 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

light snow shower Kilkenny City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Just started snowing in Cork City :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Snowing in Cork city now :eek: Bishopstown area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Blarney and surrounding areas just got a light dusting, easing off now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement