Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Nice to see the snow on the surrounding hills however transient. Also a bit of hope even for us down South on MT'S forecast for the weekend though a long way off at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Snow in Midleton. No hope of sticking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Having a snow shower in South Sligo at the moment - but everything is so wet I can't see it holding - temperature dropped too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

the shield i think got caught off guard here in cork, we had a good 30 minutes of snow. it didn't stick, but we got white gold!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    the shield i think got caught off guard here in cork, we had a good 30 minutes of snow. it didn't stick, but we got white gold!!!

Imogen must have put it out of sync. I doubt there will be any long term damage though as that shield is very effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Carnacalla wrote: »
    0c and snowing there at 8am.

Much falling?

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Heavy snow with a slight covering in Cashel in the last 20 minutes. Snow stopping now though. Just 0.8C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

I think mt's winter forecast mentioned a cold period from mid February lasting well into march
    I hope a few light morning snow showers and perhaps some wet short lived snow at the weekend mainly on hills isn't it?
    Especially if models are guiding a quick return to mild settled(welcome!) weather next week

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Very heavy hail in Dingle. Ground white and still falling heavily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

UKMO looking dayacent

UW144-21.GIF?09-05

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

UKMO looking dayacent

UW144-21.GIF?09-05

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭highdef

Looks like many parts of the midlands may get a decent covering over the next few hours, if temps keep as low as they are now. Above about 100/150m could be in for some fun :P

Snowing lightly again, but half of what fell earlier has melted. Heavier showers arriving in about 30 mins though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Ppn really kicking off in the Midlands.
    Is it snow though??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Ppn really kicking off in the Midlands.
    Is it snow though??

It is indeed in south west Laois 126m asl...Not really sticking but nice to look at:)

I don't think I've ever seen snowflakes as big as the ones falling at the moment - Never thought it would stick but in minutes everything is white.

South Sligo 70M asl

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The mountains have the best and most lovely snowy covering I have yet seen; photos to follow. Was outside in bright sun, before the heavy, dark goodlooking clouds came in..Wind now, so soon something will start.... Picking up was interesting.. went in search of a nightdress I had omitted to bring in off the line, crunching hail and ice in the long grass and it was frozen solid,,, and I found a big china plate that had been at the door to feed the feral, slammed against the fence but unharmed.. that was some gale.. But we are lucky; family and workmates in East Canada are snowed in and out of touch. They are well prepared of course and experienced.. off to tinypic ;) BITTERLY cold out there so wrap up warm. I am not mobile enough to stay out but some of you are so enjoy and get the blood singing in your veins.. :) South Kerry mountains 400 asl

WRT to the midlands snow, rain @ 2C was reported in Mullingar at 10:00. With heavier precip moving in there now, I would expect some evaporative cooling to occur. Mullingar is at approx 100m ASL so I would guess that it is just about high enough for snow to stick......maybe more like slush on non-local roads.

Other big towns like Ballinasloe and Athlone may be at slightly too low elevation wise for a covering.

The likes of Borris in Ossory, Mounthrath and Portlaoise may also do ok, being in the lee of the nearby mountains and being also at being at c 100m ASL.

That's my amateur take on it anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Little bit of an upgrade for a snowy Saturday morning through the middle of the country

uksnowrisk.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Graces7 wrote:
    The mountains have the best and most lovely snowy covering I have yet seen; photos to follow. Was outside in bright sun, before the heavy, dark goodlooking clouds came in..Wind now, so soon something will start.... Picking up was interesting.. went in search of a nightdress I had omitted to bring in off the line, crunching hail and ice in the long grass and it was frozen solid,,, and I found a big china plate that had been at the door to feed the feral, slammed against the fence but unharmed.. that was some gale.. But we are lucky; family and workmates in East Canada are snowed in and out of touch. They are well prepared of course and experienced.. off to tinypic BITTERLY cold out there so wrap up warm. I am not mobile enough to stay out but some of you are so enjoy and get the blood singing in your veins.. South Kerry mountains 400 asl

Sounds nice up there ðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement

The next batch of showers arriving any moment, but the temp is up to 1.5C, with RH at 95%. Will probably be sleet at first, hopefully turning to snow as things cool down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

Snowing again a lot here laois kilkenny border lovely large flakes like feathers. I forgot how peaceful snow looks as it's falling. Sticking to grass and rough ground but won't stay for sure. 150m asl.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Moderate snow falls on the hills of north Kilkenny, temperature is 0.8C and the dewpoint is 0.4C.
    Sticking on some surfaces.

snow_9th_feb.jpg

Photo before it goes - I don't think it will last long -
    sligo 70m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

2qb8v35.jpg10z8gph.jpg11hge9c.jpg All taken from the back of the house around 10 am today.... 11 am and light snow and watching the snowline creeping down the slopes.. BITTERLY cold...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

RobertKK wrote: »
    Moderate snow falls on the hills of north Kilkenny, temperature is 0.8C and the dewpoint is 0.4C.
    Sticking on some surfaces.

just rain here in the Kilkenny city

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Any chance of the snow reaching East Coast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Any chance of the snow reaching East Coast

Lashing snow here near Arklow now

jambofc wrote: »
    just rain here in the Kilkenny city

I would've expected it to be a bit too warm for snow in Kilkenny due to lack of elevation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Lashing snow here near Arklow now

I'm in Dublin 1 and its sunny but freezing cold.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement