Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The worst kind of weather really freezing cold but still not cold enough for snow and the wet makes it feel even colder

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

sideswipe wrote: »
    How do people describe wet snow- 'I say it's not sticking', my wife says 'it's not landing'. She reckons the way I say it is weird!!!! I think its a country thing- she's from Tipp:rolleyes:

I'm from Tipp. I'd say it's "not sticking" or "not lodging".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Almost too cold to breathe outside and not much better in the house..Status quo holding on the mountains.. the back ranges look positively Alpine and if i manage to get out tomorrow will enjoy them from the heat of the car... Had to go out as my kind post lady hooted; apparently there had been a delivery later last evening and I had not noticed so she was checking I was ok. Kind kind soul made sure i have a fire tool at the stage where it glows and shows no smoke .. forecast is grand for snow holding where there is some and glad more of you are happy after Imogen drained us all. Blessings and peace this chilly night! South Kerry mountains 400 asl.. oh snow on the window! A distinct pattering! Stay warm and please look out for the old wans...

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »

English here and we always said" Not sticking" bit i have heard " Not lying"..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not Sticking is the term of phrase here in West Clare.

Horrible short hail showers all day only good for getting the wind to gust up and blow away election signs.
    Very Cold and windy, yet not cold enough for snow.
    If we don't get a frost in the next few days I'm going to be annoyed.

Enjoy the snow showers everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

snow pictures sticking or not would be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

From North Tipp and we used to say 'lodging' or 'not lodging'

We also used to say 'abroad' as in 'abroad in the yard' and 'trams' of hay or 'ricks' not 'winds' as they call them in Limerick and ? Clare?

Just been watching the video on this site..http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/siberian-hermit-21st-century_us_569b9eb5e4b0b4eb759eabad . wanna see snow? WOW! And the root cellar !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭Speak Now

sideswipe wrote: »
    How do people describe wet snow- 'I say it's not sticking', my wife says 'it's not landing'. She reckons the way I say it is weird!!!! I think its a country thing- she's from Tipp:rolleyes:

Tell her it's definitely landing biggrin.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pouring rain here now, nothing but cold, cold rain.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Is it settling yet anywhere,in west limerick now.
    Have a long drive back to the Caher valley hopefully I'll experience some.....driving home for Christmas lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Graces7 wrote: »
    The mountains have the best and most lovely snowy covering I have yet seen; photos to follow. Was outside in bright sun, before the heavy, dark goodlooking clouds came in..Wind now, so soon something will start.... Picking up was interesting.. went in search of a nightdress I had omitted to bring in off the line, crunching hail and ice in the long grass and it was frozen solid,,, and I found a big china plate that had been at the door to feed the feral, slammed against the fence but unharmed.. that was some gale.. But we are lucky; family and workmates in East Canada are snowed in and out of touch. They are well prepared of course and experienced.. off to tinypic ;) BITTERLY cold out there so wrap up warm. I am not mobile enough to stay out but some of you are so enjoy and get the blood singing in your veins.. :) South Kerry mountains 400 asl

400meters? Jesus that is high

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rain/sleet has changed over to Snow now outside Naas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

I was off work with flu today and re watched this really interesting National Geographic documentary on the Little Ice Age 1300-1850 AD approx. Very interesting..

Snowfall in June and July 1816, the year without a summer. The vineyards disappearing from southern England. Events that changed history etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Met Eireann not going for much snowy water for this weekend going by the online forecast. Basically cold and rain with some sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭arctictree

Snowing here on and off all day. Too wet to stick though. Must be lots of the stuff higher up. +1.0c at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

A thoroughly horrible day wet cold windy wet sleet a wind that would cut you in three. Do we ever get spring weather in February?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

A thoroughly horrible day wet cold windy wet sleet a wind that would cut you in three. Do we ever get spring weather in February?

'Em not since 2008 which was very sunny and warm at times

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Met Eireann not going for much snowy water for this weekend going by the online forecast. Basically cold and rain with some sleet.

Didn't give any for today either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A limp covering of snow earlier this morning but the rain came (and stayed) and washed it all away, which in fairness was a small loss anyway. Dirty weather all in all with no end in sight by the looks of it as yet another Irish winter spirals ever faster down the swanny.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Winter always seems to arrive in febuary/march in ireland just when theres a bit of heat in the sun you get this annoying cold when its too late and all you want by this stage is a bit of warmth

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Winter always seems to arrive in febuary/march in ireland just when theres a bit of heat in the sun you get this annoying cold when its too late and all you want by this stage is a bit of warmth

True that. Don't get me started on Spring 2013 again or I'll seriously snap :mad:. Please never such a season like this again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The snow that fell around Cork this morning was excellently picked up by the beeb graphics. I find the beeb graphics to be exceptionally accurate esp re snowfall.

The end of the week looks messy and marginal.
    We need upgrades which of course is possible.
    Some areas could get lucky too early to say.

We have to take what we can get out of another abysmal winter

Snow turned to sleety rain up here the last hour or two and a lot of the lying snow gone.

Two old sayings my dad used say about February came to mind today.

'February fill dyke black or white' basically there'll be plenty of precipitation generally be it rain (black) or snow.

Another is 'as the days grow longer the cold grows stronger'. It definitely has that feel the last few days. The evenings getting longer but it getting colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    A limp covering of snow earlier this morning but the rain came (and stayed) and washed it all away, which in fairness was a small loss anyway. Dirty weather all in all with no end in sight by the looks of it as yet another Irish winter spirals ever faster down the swanny.

Was just wondering where you were. Presumed you were suffering log in issues.

Hooter23 wrote: »

Very much agreed. And the opposite in Summer when many a bad year dries up around the last week of August and for September with the warmest weather of the year recorded then. That's often very welcome but the days are shorter and it lacks the feel of 'real' summer with days bright til 10/11pm.

nagdefy wrote: »
    Very much agreed. And the opposite in Summer when many a bad year dries up around the last week of August and for September with the warmest weather of the year recorded then. That's often very welcome but the days are shorter and it lacks the feel of 'real' summer with days bright til 10/11pm.

Yep OR April could also have the good weather. Example: 2007 and 2011.

Let's see September compared with the Summer each of these years

2015: September was better
    2014: September was better (due to its dry nature and the Summer wasn't exceptionally dry or wet but it wasn't a bad Summer at all)
    2013: The Summer was better (September was just dry, dull and mild)
    2012: September was better (due to the sunshine but everything else, it matched the poor summer!)
    2011: Mmmmm... very hard one... I can't pick tbh... both were very poor
    2010: Again very hard to pick.... both were pretty good
    2009: September was better
    2008: September was kinda better (due to the dry spell after the very wet start)
    2007: September was better
    2006: The Summer was better
    2005: Mmmmm... very hard one to pick...
    2004: September was kinda better (I recorded my highest temperature in 2004 in early September!)
    2003: September was better but not better than August during the Summer
    2002: September was better
    2001: September was better
    2000: The Summer was better

Overall, most years, September does tend to be more pleasant than the Summer which is horrible as students go back to school and therefore, stuck indoors and not outside enjoying the pleasant weather! Life is very unfair :mad:. It should be against the law to be stuck indoors on such nice days like those at the start of September 2010 or the end of September 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    True that. Don't get me started on Spring 2013 again or I'll seriously snap :mad:. Please never such a season like this again!

On the plus side, that cold spring was followed by a hot summer, with temps reaching as high as 64 Deg.C in July*

*perhaps a slight exaggeration

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    On the plus side, that cold spring was followed by a hot summer, with temps reaching as high as 64 Deg.C in July*

*perhaps a slight exaggeration

That in turn was followed by an awful Winter and an unremarkable Autumn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Took a spin there
    Above 300 metres in South Wicklow, theres about 6 inches and drifting noticeably
    No phone in the rushed decision to go up there,so no pictures sorry
    The snowline tonight is a lot higher than this morning, rain is falling below 200 mtrs for example,but boy when you get above that it's the north pole

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement