Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2015/16 : See Mod Note Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    May 20th, a classic frontal thunder storm that lasted the guts of a hour.

rTmTDe4.png

June 10th, the 4th consecutive day of frequent and intense thunderstorms that affected much of the country.

ARvGoSm.png

Even more good thunder activity later that month. October 2014 also saw some more intense storms along the west coast but more especially so in the likes of Cork, Waterford and Wexford.

Talking about summer thunderstorms in a winter thread is never a good sign. There might be some snow in the days ahead for lower ground, but nothing really of significance to talk about away from high ground. I bet we will get a very cold spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,162 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Arklow, Ballyvourney,Kilbeggan,baltinglass and monaghan all sub zero at the moment

https://www.nratraffic.ie/weather/

Updated every 10 mins, handy! Will bookmark that page, more useful than the Met Eireann page which doesn't update until near 40mins past the hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    May 20th, a classic frontal thunder storm that lasted the guts of a hour.

rTmTDe4.png

June 10th, the 4th consecutive day of frequent and intense thunderstorms that affected much of the country.

ARvGoSm.png

Even more good thunder activity later that month. October 2014 also saw some more intense storms along the west coast but more especially so in the likes of Cork, Waterford and Wexford.

Aye, here a brief clip of one in Arklow overnight in july 2014,the rain was unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Talking about summer thunderstorms in a winter thread is never a good sign. There might be some snow in the days ahead for lower ground, but nothing really of significance to talk about away from high ground. I bet we will get a very cold spring.

Haven't known you to be wrong yet Mr. Mayo, so I'd not bet against it.

Small little trough developing off the west coast at the mo, could bring a sprinkle of sleet or snow to some favoured spots should it move inland.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,561 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I am predicting a cold Spring as well. The coldest April on record potentially. Please check out my 2016 predictions if you haven't already.

• Advertisement

2.7c and Percip nearing. Should make for a bit of sleet at least. (West Clare)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭highdef

Carnacalla wrote: »
    2.7c and Percip nearing. Should make for a bit of sleet at least. (West Clare)

Clutching straws at this stage, although I don't blame you. Unless you are on high ground, I doubt there'll be much more than cold rain.... And Clare is not really known for its high ground!

highdef wrote: »
    Clutching straws at this stage, although I don't blame you. Unless you are on high ground, I doubt there'll be much more than cold rain.... And Clare is not really known for its high ground!

Surprise snowfall is really the only type of snowfall here :)

Current temp 3.3c with a shower just moving over soon, currently very light rain. Likely too high a temp, unsure of the DP but that's likely not far off the Temp given the chance of FOG.

Will go asleep once the shower passes.

Also I'm not at all high ground here, only a few meters above sea level :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I am predicting a cold Spring as well. The coldest April on record potentially. Please check out my 2016 predictions if you haven't already.

I think you could be right - I remember the last strong El Nino year (1998) and that April had very severe frosts(down to minus 6C in parts) and heavy snowfall in upland areas. The severe conditions blackened all the fresh green growth that was coaxed out by the very mild winter. The summer was horrible too:(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

budweiser6 wrote: »
    Graces7 you should consider writing a book, you have a wonderful way of describing even the simplest of things, I often can imagine your house and your views so clearly. Keep warm, keep well and never stop posting here I'm sure I'm not the only one to enjoy your posts

KInd person. I do have 4 books out, pod stuff, available privately sold for funding for my family's work overseas. I love writing and words and so little I can do and give. This place is utter beauty and am grateful that folk enjoy my small sharing.. As for keeping warm! Shivers! A 2 cat day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Heavy rain often in the night.. Interesting snow reports. I have not been over the mountains on the back roads for a while , Ballaghbeama etc so next week may try that. Look a glory up there.. I am by the way sure Tolkien knew Ireland and used the scenery here in his books..We shall see what the weekend brings! So blissfully quiet now. My feral cat is home; he goes missing when there is a storm so clearly holes up somewhere. A good little weather forecaster! If he is not home, the storm will continue.. Hope all get some sun today...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

MT's forecast shows how much of a knife edge this weekend is. Southern part of the country has the precip northern areas have the cold (all though not very cold) looks like it will come down to radar and lampost watching on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

MT's forecast shows how much of a knife edge this weekend is. Southern part of the country has the precip northern areas have the cold (all though not very cold) looks like it will come down to radar and lampost watching on Saturday

You took the words right outa my mouth. Then next week looks cold again with the northeast looking good ;).
    That's if it all pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Heading into the best opportunity for large parts of the country to see snow and this place is a ghost town. Not sure if it's the doss attack or people are just feed up with this winter. Can't really blame them . hopefully winter 15/16 can go out with a bang. But please don't let a cold spring be the outcome

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Heading into the best opportunity for large parts of the country to see snow and this place is a ghost town. Not sure if it's the doss attack or people are just feed up with this winter.

It's going to be a messy, nowcast situation. Hard to get excited! Some may see snow, others just cold rain. That sort of marginal event.

Ah with a north easterly I've no chance!

Temp reaching an overnight (and entire winter) low now, 1.4c just as the sun comes out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭esposito

I think John Hammond from the BBC is my favourite forecaster. Explains things so well with plenty of enthusiasm. Talks about the uncertainty this weekend re: snow and hints that the cold will be hard to shift and may prevail next week.

http://www.bbc.com/weather/features/35546462

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I've seen my first frost after a number of years,
    On the mayo coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Rain showers on and off the last hour in South Wexford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Heading into the best opportunity for large parts of the country to see snow and this place is a ghost town. Not sure if it's the doss attack or people are just feed up with this winter. Can't really blame them . hopefully winter 15/16 can go out with a bang. But please don't let a cold spring be the outcome

Too many false dawns over the years. Nothing to get excited about unless its within 24-36 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Still. Nice weather today. Second morning of cloudless skys. Can't remember when last they happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

budweiser6 wrote: »
    Graces7 you should consider writing a book, you have a wonderful way of describing even the simplest of things, I often can imagine your house and your views so clearly. Keep warm, keep well and never stop posting here I'm sure I'm not the only one to enjoy your posts

+1

It's a joy to read that which is written by someone with such a wonderful, descriptive command of language :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

When I see mt mention the word streamers that's enough for me to get excited. Even though it's too far to call. As sad as it sounds a weekend of lamppost watching is just what we need :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Some reality needed
    This is a not very cold polar MARATIME air we have
    Its only capable of doing what its done to date
    So has what we got to date excited you?
    Thought not

John hammonds forecast there isnt that exciting for Ireland either,the feed gets cut off to us by high pressure and that jet is strong enough to even shunt that high away
    The Irish sea and the north Atlantic are too warm for to deliver anything other than weve had
    So unless you're very high,expect rain or a sloppy mess
    If youve had wet snow before, likelihood is youll see some again but nothing significant
    Most will see cold rain or nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Some reality needed
    This is a not very cold polar MARATIME air we have
    Its only capable of doing what its done to date
    So has what we got to date excited you?
    Thought not

John hammonds forecast there isnt that exciting for Ireland either,the feed gets cut off to us by high pressure and that jet is strong enough to even shunt that high away
    The Irish sea and the north Atlantic are too warm for to deliver anything other than weve had
    So unless you're very high,expect rain or a sloppy mess
    If youve had wet snow before, likelihood is youll see some again but nothing significant
    Most will see cold rain or nothing

Reality Bites! Wasn't expecting anything down this far south anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'm happy with this cold crisp DRY weather
    Saturday looks depressing now
    a load of precipitation
    I don't care of its cold rain or snow
    its wet
    go away

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

km79 wrote: »
    its wet

I hope for dry snow...

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I hope for dry snow...

which will then melt
    no snow for me thanks
    you can have it down south. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Completely socked in in Galway City now, it was a blue sky morning until the fog rolled in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Mweelra mountains this morning in crisp sunlight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement